Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2000 acura EL does not start after winter storage!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon5 2000 acura EL does not start after winter storage!

hi everyone, I have a 2000 acura EL 1.6 D16Y8 (canada)
my car has been on storage this past winter season and tried starting it up this summer. And it does not crank!
So I thought it was the starter or the battery! But both were good and tested! So I then checked my ignition switch and main relay both good!
I hear the fuel pump prime relays clicking and still nothing!
Ive checked with a test light, battery negative to the one wire connector to the selonoid, and their is no power to the one wire?
its a black and pink wire! Or I think black and white? The colored strip on the wire looks alittle faded so...it could be pink or white strip on the wire?
could this be my problem?
how do I check further this black and pink wire from the selonoid?
or mabe theres something else I havent checked?
Ive been looking at some wiring diagrams and I think its the Integraded control unit or ICU, that could of affected my no start issue?
Maybe I have a grounding issue, may be power issue? i dont know where to look at from here?
please help?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:33 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: 2000 acura EL does not start after winter storage!

Originally Posted by Ken D.
hi everyone, I have a 2000 acura EL 1.6 D16Y8 (canada)
my car has been on storage this past winter season and tried starting it up this summer. And it does not crank!
So I thought it was the starter or the battery! But both were good and tested! So I then checked my ignition switch and main relay both good!
I hear the fuel pump prime relays clicking and still nothing!
Ive checked with a test light, battery negative to the one wire connector to the selonoid, and their is no power to the one wire?
its a black and pink wire! Or I think black and white? The colored strip on the wire looks alittle faded so...it could be pink or white strip on the wire?
could this be my problem?
how do I check further this black and pink wire from the selonoid?
or mabe theres something else I havent checked?
Ive been looking at some wiring diagrams and I think its the Integraded control unit or ICU, that could of affected my no start issue?
Maybe I have a grounding issue, may be power issue? i dont know where to look at from here?
please help?
Re-install starter, re-install all connections to starter, beat on the hammer slightly, start the car again.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Uninstalled the starter from the car and used booster cables to jump the starter.
and the starter works just fine!.
is there anywhere else I should look?
Old 08-18-2017, 05:05 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

turn your crank by hand.
Old 08-18-2017, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Turned the crank pulley by hand clockwize everything rotates fine!
check the ICU behind the fuse panel underneath the steering column.
checked the engine computer on the passenger foot panel, no corrosion all circuit are clean!
Checked main relay all clean circuit no signs of damage!
I am stummped?
Old 08-18-2017, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

some bad parts and grounds can pass the eyeball test.
test the former, remove and clean the latter. likely suspects:

Honda Acura Essential Electrical Repair Website. Troubleshooting Main Relay, Coil, Igniter, etc.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the former?
and what is a latter?
when I turn the key to the start/run position, I just hear a click from the main relay! After. Hear the water pump!
after that nothing!
Old 08-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive tested the one wire selonoid trigger wire (black with a white strip) that goes to the starter selonoid and I dont get 12 volts,I used a test light and there is no power.
so that means I have. Problem with the ignition switch or the neutral safety switch?
is this correct???
everything seems to work fine! The only thing I notice is that once I put the key in the ignition and crank the engine to start, my headlights turn off when I try to crank, could this just be my battery is low or dead!
I tried booster cables to jump the car with another vehicle and it does the same turn the key to crank and I get nothing!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is a module from underneath the driver seat
I think this controls my door lock (which do not work!)and has the passive immobilizer!
the contact pins had some corrosion on the pins so I clean them up, all the circuit look good, their seems to be no damage to the board!

I have been checking the wire integrity r the continuity of the ignition switch to a relay on the left under side, beside the fuses! i dont know what these relays are for?
their is another relay beside it as well?

then I notice their are more relays on the lower diver side foot panel, they seem to have denso written on them!
What do these relay control??

so while I was checking continuity from this relay from the ignition switch, the wires go through the firewall and into the engine bay, to the trigger wire that attaches to the starter selonoid
this is what I was diagnosing the problem to begin with, of why I didnt have power in this wire
it could be the ignition switch, but I have checked the rotating mechanism, and all looks good!
I guess I have to ckeck the integrity of the wires,

please help
Ive put everything back and now the main relay doesnt click and the fuel pump doesnt prime and have of the lights on my guage loght up!

I saw a youtube video, and this guy shows that it could be a ground wire that is bolted underneath the waterpump housing?
could this be my problem???
please help!
been at this for a week now?

Last edited by Ken D.; 08-20-2017 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 03:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Lights going out mean you have a dead battery, bad connection at the battery, or bad power or ground wires between the battery and the starter / engine.

Jump the small terminal on the starter to the battery the engine should crank. Do this in neutral with the key off so it doesn't actually start or move. If that test passes you can look for problems like the anti-theft system. I have a feeling it will not pass and you need to look at what I said in the first sentence.
Old 08-27-2017, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think this might be my problem!
what do you guys think?
The picture ive shown in my last post is called the keyless/security control unit
Ive gotten help from my uncle who owns automotive shop, and had a chance to look at some wiring diagrams from michell.
but I think Ive narrowed it down to this!

Its the connector of the keyless/security control unit!
I need some help with the terminals?
how do I remove these pins from the plastic connector so I ca clean up the corroded wires?
anybody have some suggestions?
I would really appriciate it!
Old 08-27-2017, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Again, you should try-- with everything installed-- jump the starter little terminal to the battery +. If you can't make the starter turn by jumping it, the problem is the battery, the starter, or the big wires and connections between them.
Old 08-27-2017, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive checked and jumped the starter also the wires- (black with white stripe) and the starter works and cranks fine!
connected everything back up and and I dont have the security light blinking its just off, but the anti theft light is still blinking on the radio?
my door locks still dont work when I use the key to unlock the door or the remote?

i know the wiring harness to the keyless/security control unit has relays soldered to the board that controls the door locks, this is the only curcit board that controls the door locks by looking at the schematics of the wiring diagram of this keyless/security control unit!

I hope its just the corroded wiring harness pins that have no contact to the security control unit! If not the board is probably toast!!

what do you guys think?
anybody know how I can remove the female terminal pins from the plastic connector?