Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2 civics same start up problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2 civics same start up problems

I have a 1997 cx hatchback d16y7 and a 1997 civic ex d16y8

They both have identical start up issues: the cx started this issue today the ex has been doing it for months

Start them up and the idle drops immediately and feels like its going to die but once it gets going it seems fine.....but it doesnt do this everytime....idles a tad low on the cx but no drive issues but on the ex with the a/c on when it was warm out it will shake when you stop and kind of goes away when you turn the a/c off...the ex recently had a ignition coil,rotor,wires changed.

Im stumped on this problem they both seem to have smooth power no miss fire while driving its not much to go on but thought id try here ive been googling all day
Old 10-05-2013, 05:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 2 civics same start up problems

Sounds like you need to adjust the idle on both cars, and possibly remove and clean the FITV on the CX. You can find how-to's for both in the FAQ's sticky, as well as a FSM.
Old 10-05-2013, 05:43 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I Don't think the y7 or y8 have fitvs, but def adjust the idle
Old 10-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

The EX may have an A/C system issue.

Have you cleaned both IACVs?

Any CEL codes?
Old 10-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Sounds like you need to adjust the idle on both cars, and possibly remove and clean the FITV on the CX. You can find how-to's for both in the FAQ's sticky, as well as a FSM.

I adjusted the idle on the cx but it went to high like 1500 so i just dropped it back to where the cable didnt have any slack and it seems kind of low.....Ill have to research what the fitv is thanks
Old 10-05-2013, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
The EX may have an A/C system issue.

Have you cleaned both IACVs?

Any CEL codes?

I have not cleaned the iacv yet im pretty sure with the luck i have been having lately that would not be the problem lol but i may go ahead and try it on the cx first.

The ex is a long story my gf was driving home it had low power and it shut off on her drive way and wouldnt start back up i researched and ended up putting on a ignition coil and it started right up and that when the ex problems started happening i dont know if i bought a crappy ignition coil it was a brand new rich porter ignition coil people said those wore decent. Ive changed the wires since it had one dead wire when i tested with the multi meter and i changed the rotor in the distributor cap looked good no dust or anything odd looking in it. But still same
Old 10-05-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh on the EX it did have a check engine light but i have not checked it im scared to get stranded on that one on the way to autozone or something lol....but ill have to use my little obd2 thing for my laptop to check the codes havent had time with all the car problems im having lol.

And the CX no check engine light at all but when i turn the key no light comes on either and i hooked my obd2 thing that goes to my laptop and its not communicating
Old 10-05-2013, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by halfkoreanboy
I adjusted the idle on the cx but it went to high like 1500 so i just dropped it back to where the cable didnt have any slack and it seems kind of low.....Ill have to research what the fitv is thanks
This^ is not the correct way to adjust the idle speed.

Go to the FAQs sticky. There's an idle adjust diagram for both engines.

And a dirty IACV is probably the most common cause of 96-00 Civic idle problems. Click the link in my signature.

Pull the CEL codes and post them. You just need to jump the service connector.

The CEL bulb in the CX is blown or removed. Replace it. Also check the hood Back Up fuse and fuse 43.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:10 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

If you were using the cable to adjust the idle, you were doing it wrong. Look up the PROPER way to do it.

Short version: start the car, let it warm up, unplug your IACV, use the big screw recessed into the corner of the TB to adjust the throttle to spec, turn car off, plug IACV back in, reset ECU, start car.

Never adjust idle with the stop screw on the throttle rotor. That shouldn't be fucked with.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool i will try everyones advice im still learning a lot working on cars ive never had so many problems till i started driving Hondas lol. Most of my 240s never gave me any issues at all and i never worried as much as i do now but i love this 97 CX Hatch andi hope i can fix this issue im also having issues with this crapzone alternator i put on last week.

And on the idle i didnt touch the little allen wrench bolt i just took some slack off the cable because it was having some slack so just tightened the cable wit the 12mm wrench i hope i did not mess anything up doing that i just figured it want supposed to be loose
Old 10-05-2013, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The throttle cable needs a little slack in it.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:29 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

A very little bit, yeah. I think spec is an eighth to a quarter inch of deflection.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A very little bit, yeah. I think spec is an eighth to a quarter inch of deflection.
3/8" - 1/2"

And FYI: Your idle adjust procedure is true for some but not all 96-00 Civics - depends on transmission/engine set up.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool thanks guys, i guess tomorrow i better get started this Cx Hatch needs to get me me out of this hole i dug myself into
Old 10-05-2013, 06:36 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

That's why I called it the short version, and told OP to check the FAQ's sticky or an FSM in my first post
Old 10-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's why I called it the short version, and told OP to check the FAQ's sticky or an FSM in my first post
Old 10-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well today i took the airbox off and looked to see if the iacv can come off easy and it doesnt look that hard and i peeked in the throttle body and it looks like a lot of build up and shiny oil or something lol.....I guess ill run some seafoam through the vacuum lines then take off the iacv....May have to get a aftermarket intake pipe,it would look a lot cleaner without the top mount airbox lol
Old 10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you changed the plugs and pcv valve? I had a neighbor with a low idle issue. Clean iacv, TB, new plugs, wires and pcv. Fixed it. Also check timing.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am now starting to think it has a mild headgasket leak....when i look in the overflow tank i see 2 or 3 medium to small size bubbles pop, not a bunch just like a constant 2 or 3 bubbles popping no foaming and sometime it rises sometimes its empty its weird,and one time i started the car with the radiator cap off not cold but warm and a little bit of coolant splashed out and i tried it again radiator cap off and it did not splash and on the 3rd time it splashed again,and it will rise up,i dont seem to be loosing coolant though if i am its very little almost not noticeable....i saw white smoke this morning on cold start it was kinda cold out also and it went away. and when i smell it it smells more like exhaust fumes and nothing sweet. The other day i drained the radiator and put fresh coolant in and i did not bleed but i dont think any air is in it the temp gauge does not over heat ever and when i grab the radiator hose its not burning hot. So i assume i have a small head gasket leak and that might be why my car is low idling on start ups and shaking but smooths out after like 4 or 5 seconds but sometimes it will idle low and stall so i rev it up a little before it stalls then the car runs perfect has all its power and smoothness after no hesitation at acceleration and no puffs of smoke at stop and go traffic....but i got some throttle cleaner im going to spray the throttle body and try and clean the iacv tomorrow hopfully.

If it is a bad head gasket then ill drive it gently and save up for a b20z swap i guess i hope it lasts untill January lol
Old 10-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is official i have a bad head gasket the coolant in the overflow tank smells like exhaust fumes but no mixing of fluids yet and it doesnt over heat even idling for a long time and drives fine so i guess ill baby it and keep my shifts below 3k and pray it will last till January at least since my accord has a blown transmission and it is no longer drivable.....
Old 12-22-2013, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Turned out to be an ignition coil and a dead plug wire on the 1997 ex. I bought a rich porter ignition coil off ebay for 20 bucks and 32 for new wires at Orilleys,I have now put close to 4,000 miles and no check engine light and everything runs great. I have gotten rid of the cx because my gf gave me her 1997 ex and i didnt want 2 civics,so on the 1997 cx i never figured out what was wrong. But im glad that nightmare is over