Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2.5 lowered spring question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2.5 lowered spring question.

does anyone have a picture of a 2.5 inch drop for a civic preferably ek but it doesn't need to be an ek.
i am not sure how much of a drop the lowered springs i have on right now are but i wanna switch to lower springs that fill the gap enough in my fenders (where i can hardly fit a finger in there) . i don't have money for coil overs so this is the next best option. if someone would also help me determine whats the spring dimension on my car springs and what should i get to get what i want with lowered springs that would be great. my wheel specs are 195/50/15

if yall need better pics or more info lemme know! thanks
The following users liked this post:
Old 02-01-2014, 11:46 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Default Re: 2.5 lowered spring question.

(psst, you don't have an EK)
Old 02-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
(psst, you don't have an EK)
What is a 2000 civic ex then i tried searching up what ek means because thats what everyone calls it and i thought that would be more understandable for others
Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 AM

It's an EJ8.

Lowering springs on stock struts is dumb. You'll only blow out your struts, and have to spend even more money. Save your pennies and do it right the first time with some Koni struts and Ground Control springs.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have money for coilovers, I hope you have money for an alignment. You'll definitely need to adjust your toe or else your tires will wear to threads in a few weeks, i'm serious, ask me how. lol

Lowering 2.5in on stock shocks will not only blow them but will irritate you, it's up to you man, but it's really not recommended when you're trading comfort for aesthetics.

To me, you have an EK, easier to describe all 96-00 Civics.

There's two people that use EK:
-The ones that generalize all 96-00 Civics
-The ones that are specific about only using that term for 96-00 hatchbacks.

In the end, to me, it's colloquialism in this car scene and all the people who educate about it are great, all of those who naysay about using it as a colloquialism are annoying imo. EK3/EK9/EK4, refer to hatchback and sedans, usually referred to Type R hatchbacks though.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:51 AM

EK3 is not a type R, it's a 1.5L VTEC-E powered hatch or sedan. EK4 is a hatch or sedan Type R, and EK9 is a hatch-only Type R. In America, where the vast majority of forum members are, 96-00 Civics are either EJ6 (coupe/sedan/hatch DX/CX), EJ7 (coupe/hatch HX), EJ8 (coupe/hatch/sedan EX, CDM Si), or EM1 (coupe, USDM Si). In any other forum, call it whatever you want. Here, in the tech section, there are MAJOR differences between every chassis designator, and using the correct code is important. Now that we have that part covered...

Lowering springs will put unnecessary stress on your struts. That unnecessary stress will cause early failure. Maybe it'll last a day, maybe it'll last a year. Regardless, Murphy's Law says that they'll fail at the worst possible time.

Save your money. Buy a proper suspension now, save your money later. Even if you just toss some springs on your stock struts now, you'll probably just have to buy another set of springs all over again when you do have the money to buy a proper suspension. Do it once, do it right.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^
This!

then read this
https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/building-your-dream-car-101-a-3102979/

This months Honda Tuning details how evolution of hondas came to be where people were lazy and started calling chassis codes the wrong thing.
They made a whole page with correct chassis codes so that everyone who is doing it wrong can finally learn to call a spade a spade.

Generalizing all 96-00 civics to 1 particular body style that wasnt available in the states and had a low production number just sounds idiotic.

Since everyone makes up incorrect chassis codes. I made up the EM hatch to compete with the EK Coupe.

http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/t...ode_checklist/
http://www.hondatuningmagazine.com/e...013_road_rage/

1 You probably don't drive an EF, EG or EK. See this month's article on chassis code terminology to see why you've been wrong all along.

8 When you're finished doing that, go ahead and stop using every other cutesy piece of urban slang that the internet's taught you and that you'll be embarrassed about in five years, like bubble, teggie, hatchy, blades, and meshies.

Last edited by EsotericImage; 02-02-2014 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:12 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

2.5" lowering springs? Eibach sportlines lower a 96-00 EX/Si about 2.5"-3". They lower more than they advertise.

Here's my old EM1 on eibach sportlines. And rotas (embarassing).

It rode very badly. I eventually went with ground controls (around $300), which I used with stock shocks all around....and then stock shocks up front and S2000 shocks in the back.

The S2000/stock combo was very bad. The front shocks were WAAYYY too soft and the car kept see-sawing back and forth because the rear shocks were much more agressively damped. Surprisingly my stock shocks never blew...even though they were 150k miles old. They're on my dirt track/rally car now and they handle jumps and big ruts just fine.

Then I went with GC and Koni and was very satisfied. I had to buy a new set of GC's, though, since the Koni spec ones are different. GC, at the time, said they wouldn't sell me just the collars.

This is the height I settled on. This is probably about 2.5". You can do this on stock shocks...but...the ride won't be all that great. Koni and GC combo offers decent to good ride quality at this height as long as the rear springs are a lighter rate than the fronts.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My car is sitting on "short shocks" made only for lowering springs. Surprisingly they are really nice but to damn low for my taste. Had a year now. Gonna be switching to a better legit setup soon. K sport is what I wanna go to.