Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

2.2 L i-CTDi into an eg hatch?

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.2 L i-CTDi into an eg hatch?

Hello everyone!
Has anybody seen or even know the engine code for the european Accord diesel engine? Does it come with a manual transmission? How would you import it from europe? I think this would be fun for a future project, maybe even run it on biodiesel(veg. oil). Any input?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 2.2 L i-CTDi into an eg hatch? (Dreamworx)

If you can find a way to make it work, I would really love to see it. Always nice to see something new.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:48 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's an N22A1, turbo diesel. 140bhp, 250lb/ft.

Unfortunately, it comes in the 8th gen Accords and 2nd-3rd gen CR-V's. This would be comparable to doing a K-series swap, except with no aftermarket support.

Plus, you'll have to pay customs and freight on a motor from Europe, if you can find one. They're also only automatic transmissions.

Long story short:

Good ****** luck.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I believe someone has done a swap like this into a crx, just with the TDI engine.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:52 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Good luck with that custom install.

We don't even have that engine here yet. If we're lucky it will come in new CR-Vs in the next few years, but even then the engines will still be expensive.

It's an EDM Accord / 8G Civic Type-S / CR-V and FR-V 2.2 SE engine for those not familiar with it. It's an '06 and up engine.

N22A1
2.2L DOHC i-CTDi 16V turbodiesel
138hp @ 4000rpm
251lb-ft @2000rpm
16.7:1

Here it is in the FR-V.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:00 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Max Kling)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Max Kling &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe someone has done a swap like this into a crx, just with the TDI engine.</TD></TR></TABLE>

You mean the 2.0i TDi from an Aerodeck/Accord?

That's a 20T2N motor from Rover. It's not a Honda motor.

Modified by Eran at 3:12 PM 4/29/2007
Old 04-29-2007, 02:36 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

What about the 1.7 liter Isuzu motor I read about that came in some civics in europe and asia in wilkapedia? Is this a better bet? Does it even exist? Just looking for something a little differnet since I will be redoing my civic here within the next.... 5-10 years lol (when I get around to it).
Old 04-29-2007, 02:44 PM
HT White Ops

Default Re: (Dreamworx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dreamworx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about the 1.7 liter Isuzu motor I read about that came in some civics in europe and asia in wilkapedia? Is this a better bet? Does it even exist? Just looking for something a little differnet since I will be redoing my civic here within the next.... 5-10 years lol (when I get around to it).</TD></TR></TABLE>

Stick with something more tried and true. If you're not a fab and wiring harness wiz, then stay away from trying to do these very complicated swaps.

And if you're talking about the Isuzu Gemini, then no. Those are rebadged Domani's, and they have Honda motors. There's also the Rover 45 which is built on the Domani chassis, but uses the Rover K motors.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:23 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dreamworx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about the 1.7 liter Isuzu motor I read about that came in some civics in europe and asia in wilkapedia? Is this a better bet? Does it even exist? Just looking for something a little differnet since I will be redoing my civic here within the next.... 5-10 years lol (when I get around to it).</TD></TR></TABLE>
You're thinking of the Circle L, by Isuzu/GM.

Circle L
1.7L SOHC turbodiesel I4
1686cc
99hp @ 4400rpm
177lb-ft @ 2300rpm
18.4:1

I believe it started production around the year 2000. It was also in the Opel/Vauxhall Corsa C, Chevrolet Corsa, Opel Vita, and Holden Barina.

I'm willing to bet this would be a huge pain in the *** to swap into a '92-'95 Civic.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:25 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

What about this rover motor? Aerodeck?
Old 04-29-2007, 03:30 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dreamworx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about this rover motor? Aerodeck? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Do your own research. We've already told you it's a stupid idea. Being different isn't always a good thing.

If you're this hard up for a diesel car, go buy a Mark II Jetta TDi. You'll have a second car that can accept a Bio-Diesel conversion.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:31 PM

I don't have any problem fabricating other than welding. I can do harnesses and etc. I can find the info I need on everything else somehow, I am pretty resourceful in that way. Motor mounts will be necessary(welding)... Just seeing what kinda info I can find on this, and find something at least Honda related. I don't like VW by any means(why i am not sure). I work at a Mercedes dealership and I don't want their diesels, although they are good, I don't particularly like any of the cars they come in.
It was the circle-L engine I was referring to.
Thanks!
Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 PM
H-T White Ops

I hope you realize you might have a big problem sourcing any of these engines.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:32 PM

I just like different. I like Mazda Rotaries. That is my first love of engines. If there was a rotary diesel, i'd try that first. lol
Old 04-29-2007, 03:49 PM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dreamworx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just like different. I like Mazda Rotaries. That is my first love of engines. If there was a rotary diesel, i'd try that first. lol</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well... there are diesel rotary engines, but I doubt that would install easily either...

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=538892
Old 04-29-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: (NOFX)

Well no real usable rotary diesel. I did a school project on the rotary engine in history and remember reading about the curtis-wright engines and diesel rotaries. I think Pettit Racing did work with a rotary diesel but supposedly it smoked a lot. I am not 100% sure though. Seems like if they worked out some of the kinks it wouldn't be bad considering the rotary has a 270 degree power stroke, which I would think would make up for the low torque numbers of the rotary. And in my research for the project, I remember them saying that the approx. highest mechanical compression of a rotary was about 22 to 1. Not sure exactly anymore since it was about 6-8 years ago.

Thanks for all your interest guys. It's nice to see people that aren't complete asses.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:51 PM

I know this thread died, I did a little research and thought I would give an update though. I found that this engine is mated to a six speed manual transmission. It is in the present Civics, FR-V's, CR-v's, & Euro accords. There is also a 1.7 liter turbo diesel available in the privious model Civics(2003 or something, no info other than that on the engine though as it may be the Isuzu motor that was mentioned earlier.) I saw some cutaway pictures on the internet and it(the 2.2 liter i-CTDi) has a closed deck block(good for boost), looks pretty beefy(if you notice the lower part of the block has the bedplate (lower bearings and block all one piece)design, and has some aftermarket computer chips(a plug in devise advertising 24 hp(tq? too lazy to do the math) on a Denmark internet site and a chip on e-bay UK(no power claims) already available. Now finding an engine, trans, axles, ecu, etc is the hard part. I found a wrecked CR-v with one for 4,000 pounds = about 8 thousand dollars and good luck on shippingOUCH .
I haven't found much more and I have been searching pretty hard. It makes approx 45 miles per gallion in the city and about 54 miles combined as per a car magazine online site. The engine runs clean enough to pass California emissions as of right now thans to some sort of trap oxidizer that electrically burns off the toxic emissions unlike the Mercedes system that makes urea from diesel fuel and burns the toxic emissions. All the reviews of the motor so far seem wonderful. I'll continue to keep you guys updated if you like it or not!
Some engine ****!!!
http://www.km77.com/marcas/hon...4.asp
http://www.km77.com/marcas/hon...6.asp
http://www.km77.com/marcas/hon...3.asp
http://www.km77.com/marcas/hon...5.asp

Thanks for reading!!!!