Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1st gear is like an earthquake!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gear is like an earthquake!!

Modified by l2al3l3it at 4:59 AM 9/17/2007
Old 09-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1st gear is like an earthquake!! (l2al3l3it)

sounds like your first gear is messed up bad ,but if your no other gear does anything funny then you might wanna check it out closer make sure its not your hubs or axels. what about your reverse? does that do anything or is it cool?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1st gear is like an earthquake!! (se_hatchback)

shaking madly through out first gear? meaning all of first gear, 800-7k rpms?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Default Re: 1st gear is like an earthquake!! (95dxsir2)

Check your engine mounts too.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:54 PM

Do you know what your clutch setup is like? Could be a racing clutch, or else it could be something else is really wrong with your tranny.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it just when you let the clutch out? is it making any noise?

it could be anything from really bad clutch chatter, to a problem with your gear sets. if you think it is something with the tranny, drain the fluid and see if there is any metal in the MTF, and throw some genuine honda MTF back in it.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had the same problem; Looks like I'm burning out and trying to race everyone on the streets...turned out to be the clutch (worn out and gouged)and a minor leak in the CMC. I vote clutch.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 PM

Default Re: (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by se_hatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds like your first gear is messed up bad ,but if your no other gear does anything funny then you might wanna check it out closer make sure its not your hubs or axels. what about your reverse? does that do anything or is it cool?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Reverse is normal.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95dxsir2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shaking madly through out first gear? meaning all of first gear, 800-7k rpms?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No just 1-2k after that its normal :/

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Armstrong57 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your engine mounts too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

hmm..<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dool_Ohver_Hed_Cam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you know what your clutch setup is like? Could be a racing clutch, or else it could be something else is really wrong with your tranny.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea I have a stage 2 clutch and a ACT light flywheel. What could be wrong with my tranny?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is it just when you let the clutch out? is it making any noise?

it could be anything from really bad clutch chatter, to a problem with your gear sets. if you think it is something with the tranny, drain the fluid and see if there is any metal in the MTF, and throw some genuine honda MTF back in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea! when I let my clutch out and gas it within 1-2k rpm in 1st gear it happens. But if I hold the clutch in and gass it pass 2k rpm then it doesnt happen but.. that is call burning(riding) the clutch and that is bad and not normal... :[

It does not make any noise at all. And I drained the tranny fluid and it still happens. :[
Old 09-11-2007, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

I have some first gear chatter/shaking when I let out the clutch at low rpms too... subscribed
Old 09-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it is just clutch chatter...that happens with aftermarket clutches sometimes. it isn't anything to be too concerned with. it usually is a result of not being broken in properly. sometimes it will correct itself, other times it won't.

is it a pretty new clutch?

i've been told that slipping it and burning off the fucked up part of the clutch will solve the problem, but then again i've never had to do that. I had a minor chatter with my exedy, but it solved itself.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM

Mine did that with my last clutch, ACT 4 puck unsprung, crazy style. Also wore the **** out of my clutchmaster flywheel surface, luckily a replaceable surface. It took a good month to month and a half to break in properly. I did the smart thing and went back to a stg3 CM, a lot more streetable.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (l2al3l3it)

sounds to me like it's in your clutch/psi plate, only in first?
Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM

Default Re: (drtysohc)

ok, i have mild clutch chatter with my stock clutch but it doesnt make my car shake like an earthquake, just a lil "chatter" lol &lt;-- captain obvious. Anyways it doesnt sound like usual clutch chatter should make his car jolt around
Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LetAGrlShowU)

nevermind, op said reverse is fine, is this a misfire under load? is it like a bucking "earthquake".
Old 09-11-2007, 09:49 PM

Default Re: (95dxsir2)

i have the same prob , stage 2 clutch, when im at a stop and im starting to go it will seem like theirs an earthquack kinda of a feeling in the car, the dash shakes and stuff, buttt, if i start out in first at 2500-3000 and go slowly its smooth...so basically it happens to me when i start out at low rpm, this is just drivin around town... i always thought it was slipping but its only in 1rst gear
Old 09-11-2007, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Know how to drive stick?
Old 09-12-2007, 05:35 AM

Default Re: (LetAGrlShowU)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

is it a pretty new clutch?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

pretty old now..

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95dxsir2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds to me like it's in your clutch/psi plate, only in first?</TD></TR></TABLE>

clutch/psi plate ? yea only in first under low rpm 1-2k.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LetAGrlShowU &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok, i have mild clutch chatter with my stock clutch but it doesnt make my car shake like an earthquake, just a lil "chatter" lol &lt;-- captain obvious. Anyways it doesnt sound like usual clutch chatter should make his car jolt around</TD></TR></TABLE>

jolt around? what does that mean?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95dxsir2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> nevermind, op said reverse is fine, is this a misfire under load? is it like a bucking "earthquake". </TD></TR></TABLE>

I am using earthquake like an example. because my car moves BACk and FORTh, it does not like.. shake/rattle .. hmm like if your in the car your head will move forward and back motion as well when the car is doing it. Pretend your sitting in a car and just move your HEAD back and forth . not side to side or anything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have the same prob , stage 2 clutch, when im at a stop and im starting to go it will seem like theirs an earthquack kinda of a feeling in the car, the dash shakes and stuff, buttt, if i start out in first at 2500-3000 and go slowly its smooth...so basically it happens to me when i start out at low rpm, this is just drivin around town... i always thought it was slipping but its only in 1rst gear</TD></TR></TABLE>

does it shake ? does your body move back and forth?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NACvicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Know how to drive stick?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes.. being driving for 3 years now and I go to the Race Track ( drag strip) like 2 times a year to track my car. Forgot to mention when I RACE this doesn't happen.. it only happens when I drive normal on the street when I slowly gas it as I let go of the clutch.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:56 AM

really just sounds like clutch chatter. you say it doesn't do it when you take it to the track though? that could be because your clutch is being engaged from a higher rpm. another way to tell if it is your clutch or your tranny is to go down a hill while in first and after you start to move (like 5 mph or less) you slowly let out the clutch (still give it gas) and see if it still shakes the car. (doing this will engage your clutch safely from a higher rpm) if it doesn't then it sounds like it is just the racing clutch. if it does, then it could be your tranny.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1st gear is like an earthquake!! (Dool_Ohver_Hed_Cam)

Wrap flywheel.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: 1st gear is like an earthquake!! (kaiba)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dool_Ohver_Hed_Cam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">really just sounds like clutch chatter.

if it does, then it could be your tranny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

How do you fix a clutch chatter.

If its the tranny then its ruin? can it be fix?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kaiba &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wrap flywheel. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Whats a wrap flywheel?
Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l2al3l3it &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Whats a wrap flywheel?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Think he means "warped."
Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l2al3l3it &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How do you fix a clutch chatter.

If its the tranny then its ruin? can it be fix?

Whats a wrap flywheel?</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Think he means "warped."</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Type-o owned me.
Old 09-12-2007, 11:47 AM

Default Re: 1st gear is like an earthquake!! (Syndacate)

Going downhill it still happens, its just happen at low rpm like .8 rpm to almost 2 rpm not quite there. so like .8 rpm to 1 and 1/2 rpm :/ . Only way to avoid this is to hold down the clutch and let the mph increase and the rpm increase ..

Still don't know the problem :[
Old 09-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (l2al3l3it)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by l2al3l3it &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I am using earthquake like an example. because my car moves BACk and FORTh, it does not like.. shake/rattle .. hmm like if your in the car your head will move forward and back motion as well when the car is doing it. Pretend your sitting in a car and just move your HEAD back and forth . not side to side or anything.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

maybe your car wants u to headbang?
do you know a friend with scan tool access to determine if this is engine/tranny related? when u drained the tranny, was there any metal mixed in with the oil? It's hard to tell u whats wrong with your car if i can't drive it. it's either a misfire or clutch assembly problem. i want to lean more towards clutch assembly
Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b16 huh? o man all that torque...it seems like its making you get some mAd wheel hop off the line

Quick Reply: 1st gear is like an earthquake!!