Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1rst time Honda owner. Was given a 94 Del Sol S for New Years...Want to hop it up..

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2005, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1rst time Honda owner. Was given a 94 Del Sol S for New Years...Want to hop it up..

Hello there, my name is Eric and I am a long time gear head. I have had both air and water cooled VW's, American V8's and Straight 6's. This is my first Honda and I am of course, looking to hop up my Del Sol. It is a 1994 Del Sol S with only 96k, a family member gave it to me.

I will read the forums to get a better feel for how to work these little cars but I guess I would like an opinion on what would be a better engine swap from the 1.5.

B16 or B18 or ? The Prelude is out of the question, I want to keep my a/c unit.

If I go Integra for the engine swap, will this Del Sol lose any driveability for being a daily driver? Torque steer, instability with weight, etc... ? I use this Honda as a commuter and would like to have some oomph in traffic since I am used to larger cars with bigger engines, but I don't want a full blown racer on the street. I just want to be able to get out of Semi's and SUV's way when driving as necessary.

96 hp does not cut it.

I also am looking at KYB's for shocks, any other recommendations? Again, I do not want to make this a racer, just a sporty road car for the Phoenix highways and byways.

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:26 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

is it an auto or 5 speed, if its a 5 speed, you got to do a sex change and get rid of the auto, if u wanted you could through on a d16z6 head (vtec SOHC) and get like 20 hp there, and get a ex tranny d16z6, to get short gearing, and then boost it, or drop in a ls motor swap for a grand or a b16 for 1500
Old 01-18-2005, 12:30 PM

Default Re: (Vtecin94dx)

It is a 5 speed. I have no qualms about doing engine and tranny swaps. I have done so with many different platforms.

I am looking to get some good bang out of the 4 cyl and I am intrigued by the Vtec that could from Honda.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on what you want. I was sick of my d15b7 being so pathetic so I boosted it, for under $1000 CND it makes around 170hp and has been reliable for me so far(8000km), it also makes more torque then a stock b16 and costs a bunch less....

Then you can go the engine swap route, but you're going to pay more for it.. its all in what you think will work for you.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:42 PM

Default Re: (desertdroog)

you'll be happy with any B series engine.

just get what ever you can afford

but the 1.8 is worth the extra $$ fo the extra torque
Old 01-18-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: (Daniel san)

Welcome to the boards.

Do you have a price range for the swap?
Old 01-18-2005, 01:11 PM

Default Re: 1rst time Honda owner. Was given a 94 Del Sol S for New Years...Want to hop it up.. (desertdroog

Nice
Old 01-18-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: 1rst time Honda owner. Was given a 94 Del Sol S for New Years...Want to hop it up.. (desertdroog

Thanks for the welcome. Like I said, I am an all around gearhead. I hope my vintage American Iron does not cause any controversy, I just like old hot rods and customs. I also like pocket rockets that get good gas mileage when the stroked V8's start vying for my wallet.

Price range...hmm good question. I guess it depends on if someone says the Integra would be the best bang for the buck or if a cam swap with head work to a 1.6 vtec would be better.

Let's say $2000 for tranny, gears, and engine. Oh and whatever the junkyard charges for rear disc brakes to get rid of the drums on there now.

Modified by desertdroog at 2:34 PM 1/18/2005
Old 01-18-2005, 01:16 PM

if your at 2k... The b16 would be the best for you.. Or you could do the ls swap.. But your new to honda you want the vtec don't you get your swap done and later down the road you can turbo the engine and make some good power.
Old 01-19-2005, 08:35 AM

So I spent the rest of yesterday and part of this morning reading the FAQs, regarding what my options are. I feel like a heel for not reading it first and asking a question I am sure that has happened a thousand times earlier, I apologize.

With that, it looks like my Honda luck has come in spades. My friend just so happens to be parting out an Integra GS-R with a non molested engine that only has 50K on it!!!!!

I get dibs on everything before he publically parts out his car on Ebay or locally.

So....what else should I get off this car? I figure the transmission, harness, and brakes...oh and of course upgrade the dinky 13 inch wheels to the nicer Acura split spoke.

I figure that I might as well as do it all in one fell swoop for the friend price he is offering and I want to make it a one stop shopping experience.

Thanks in advance.

Modified by desertdroog at 11:37 AM 1/19/2005
Old 01-19-2005, 08:57 AM

For the motor swap you'll need: full long block (duh ), distributor, trans, axles and half shaft, rear "L" bracket, all the mounts (just in case), ECU, throttle cable would be nice.
You might need teh P54 A/C bracket (from del sol VTEC) if you want to keep air conditioning.
I'm probably missing something so, someone feel free to fill in the blanks.
I'm not too sure about the brake swap though, is the Integra a "92 or '93? I know you said it was a '91, but GSRs (b17a) didn't come around until '92.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:02 AM

oh yea, your domestic/hot rod background will absolutely be respected on here (except by the idiots, but don't worry they'll usually be put back in their places if they act up)
I think most of us consider ourselves performance enthusiasts as oppossed to just honda enthusiasts.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by desertdroog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I spent the rest of yesterday and part of this morning reading the FAQs, regarding what my options are. I feel like a heel for not reading it first and asking a question I am sure that has happened a thousand times earlier, I apologize.
Modified by desertdroog at 9:55 AM 1/19/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

good for you man now for the swap i would get a b18b for now and when you some more cash get a vtec head and make an LS/Vtec they make really good power and when turboed are awesome, they can handle 10 psi 280ish whp daily
Old 01-19-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm really 2slow

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Put an integra ls engine 94+ or that GSR engine and slap a turbo in it man 300whp+
Old 01-19-2005, 09:34 AM

Well you have learned the first (and most valuable) lesson of Honda-Tech. Search first then ask a question if you could not find the answer. I hope this is a good sign for the 05 ers.

Good luck with the del sol

Wecome to H-T
Old 01-19-2005, 09:42 AM
overrated.

Welcome to the site, you're gonna LOVE that GS-R in that del sol. just a precaution though, it starts as "i want just a little more pep for daily driving" and next thing you know you're selling one of your hot rods to build up your little 1.8L. it's true. it's a horrible addiction.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
Old 01-19-2005, 10:47 AM

Thanks again guys. I originally put 91, but I mistyped, it is indeed a GSR, I had just come into work and did a quick typing job and edited it. I believe the car is the last year for the Integra GSR as my buddy had just bought it. It was stolen, dissassembled (mostly for parts to sell off in the chop shop), found and now he is doing the legal wrangling with his insurance to replace the car as it is completely apart, but mostly there.

I can see how this will become an addiction, not unlike moving from one vintage of a specific marque to another then on to an entirely different type of car. As you can see, my 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 is going to be up for sale soon to help offset this Honda buildup. If you looked at the link in my signature, you can see I have my hands full with the 1954 Ford(it is much farther than I show, I haven't put up the new pics). I just forsee the Honda being done sooner than the 1954 Ford as I am still wrangling the junkyards for rare parts no longer made.

It is awesome to be amongst gearheads of any type...just as long as information is shared and lessons learned on the way are beneficial.

Since I know this car and its care, the original money I quoted for doing this swap is no longer an issue as he is going to give me a fair price. It will be above my $2k estimate, but by keeping it in the family so to speak, it is worth it to spend a bit more all things considered. Plus he started out by selling me his split spoke Acura rims and performance tires (that he just put on it before it got stolen) for $400.

My plans are to keep it looking stock, no stickers, no body kits, just change the arrest me red Del Sol to probably the '05 Dodge Magnum Mineral Gray with a powertrain and braking transplant. Trying to keep it a sleeper as much as I can.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:52 AM

Nice. I agree that it's a good idea if you know the condition of the motor...I would gladly pay more for a well taken care of motor.

The color (paint) change will cost you a pretty penny though.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by desertdroog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I believe the car is the last year for the Integra GSR</TD></TR></TABLE>

that would be the 2001 & OBD2b. your DelSol would be OBD1, so that is something to look out for. no big deal though.

you should be able source just about any part you want from the classifieds here on HT.