Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1999 Stock Civic Overheat Fluctuations....

Old 09-19-2011, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Stock Civic Overheat Fluctuations....

Hi all

I have a stock 1999 Civic EX with D16y8 motor. As of late, the car has started to have fluctuating heat temperatures; it shows its going to overheat, and the temperature falls. Usually, after around an hour of driving (however, as of late, it takes around 10 minutes of driving) the car's temperature gauge will begin to rise as a steady pace. This only happens when the car is idle and not moving (IE a stoplight).
Once I start driving like normal, the temperature begins to fall to the normal operating temperature. I decided to let the car run outside and see just how high the temperature gauge will go before stopping, which will stop right above the middle logo. Around this time, I do hear the radiator fan kicking in.

Any ideas what this is? i remember reading it might be a bad thermostat, but I wasn't too sure how to search the forums for this. Any and all advice would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 Stock Civic Overheat Fluctuations....

Start by bleeding the system correctly
Old 09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem with an older car, the car would overheat at stoplights but did fine, especially on the highway. turned out my radiator fan wasn't blowing air strongly enough. I was told to put my hand about a foot from the firewall and see if I could feel the rad fan and sure enough, I couldn't.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by joeshmo
I had a similar problem with an older car, the car would overheat at stoplights but did fine, especially on the highway. turned out my radiator fan wasn't blowing air strongly enough. I was told to put my hand about a foot from the firewall and see if I could feel the rad fan and sure enough, I couldn't.
I should try this tomorrow. i would need to replace just the fan then correct?
Old 09-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not necessarily it might not be receiving 12 volts and thats why its weak (if it is weak i mean)
Old 09-19-2011, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by virgineg6
Not necessarily it might not be receiving 12 volts and thats why its weak (if it is weak i mean)
Sounds good, it could also be bubbles in the lines? Which is why i should bleed the system?

Thermostat is pretty much out of the picture then correct?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:29 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Did you check your coolant level? The system normally shouldn't have air introduced into it unless there is an issue. If you haven't checked that would be the first place. You may have a small leak, radiator perhaps?
Old 09-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your water pump could be weak as well, and not moving the water fast enough at 800rpm
Old 09-20-2011, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
Did you check your coolant level? The system normally shouldn't have air introduced into it unless there is an issue. If you haven't checked that would be the first place. You may have a small leak, radiator perhaps?
I have the same problem with my 96 ex.

I have bleed the system, still happens randomly like every 2 months only at idle.

I have a new radiator.

This is what I found, the fan seemed to come on late, gauge will go 3/4 up at idle then come down as I drive.

When it happens I check the coolant level, when you look in the neck of the radiator, seems ok, but it is not, I have to add coolant like 16 ounces maybe a little more, I used a plastic cup that was like 9 ounces and needed to do it more than 2 times, seems after I add the coolant it is fine.

I might have a slight leak, but no coolant on the ground, so I will just coolant every few months.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero

Little odd. I checked the coolant level about a month ago, and all was well. The problem has been persisting a bit more as of late, so I checked the coolant one more time. It was completely dry. I filled the coolant reseveoir to the top, and drove her for a bit. The gauge still crept up. i have no coolant leaks, just a small oil leak which im in the process of fixing.

Double checked the radiator fan, and it not only kicks in but is doing its job perfectly. Checked hoses and haven't seen any noticable leaks. The temperature went up again as someone above said to about 3/4s, and goes back down upon driving.

Not sure what to make of this? I could check the water pump. Whats a good method for diagnosing this?

Thanks for the replies....
Old 09-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, I notice the temperature gauge stops at the same spot all the time, which is a bit before the H. I left the car running for about 5 minutes AC on full blast just to see where it would go up to, and each time it stops in the same exact spot...
Old 09-21-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You said dry, the radiator or overfill tank?
Old 09-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
You said dry, the radiator or overfill tank?
the overfill tank as in the coolant tank correct? if so, then yes it was completely dry. I am going to add coolant to the radiator once the car cools down.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How was the level in the radiator itself? The overfill tank should not be dry, I am wondering if you are losing coolant somewhere, doesn't mean you will see it under the car.

Do this, start the car cold take off of the radiator cap and see if there are bubble, also check the overfill tank see if there are bubbles there.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, so i filled the resevoir to the top, and let the car cool off. Went to check it, and the resevoir was empty again, so filled it up, and checked the radiator with the on. No bubbles, so added some and managed to get some bubbles...took awhile though. It was super low.

I am wondering then where I can be leaking. Unless I was a blind bat the last time I checked the coolant levels. The car is running good now, did a neighborhood 5 mile drive to and so far so good....

Still doesn't account for the sudden loss of the coolant. any areas to check?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jwest1150
Ok, so i filled the resevoir to the top, and let the car cool off. Went to check it, and the resevoir was empty again, so filled it up, and checked the radiator with the on. No bubbles, so added some and managed to get some bubbles...took awhile though. It was super low.

I am wondering then where I can be leaking. Unless I was a blind bat the last time I checked the coolant levels. The car is running good now, did a neighborhood 5 mile drive to and so far so good....

Still doesn't account for the sudden loss of the coolant. any areas to check?

are you checking the neck of the radiator itself for the proper coolant level, not just the over fill tank?
Old 09-21-2011, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by motegicivic
are you checking the neck of the radiator itself for the proper coolant level, not just the over fill tank?
yes. All is well now, filled it to the proper level.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had to replace my radiator this week because my coolant was low and reservoir was dry. At first I thought it was my cap because there was coolant all along the top in the foam piece by the front of the of the car(length of radiator about a 1/4 of an inch in width). The plastic caps on top of the radiator have issues cracking over time from what Ron had said in my original thread.. It doesn't leak onto the ground at all and all of it gets absorbed into the foam/a little on top of the fan. I got a new radiator at radiatorbarn.com for 55 shipped and it was here in 2 days. Vegas to Ohio(fast shipping).

EDIT: However, my car never over heat but I caught it early enough and I barely drive my DD far enough to ever get to full hot temperature anyway. I drive it maybe 5 mins to work or 5 mins to the gym and that's it.