Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1999 Honda Civic DX

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Honda Civic DX

I just purchased a 1999 Honda Civic DX and was wondering if anyone else was surprised that this manual shift car doesn't come with a tachometer? I don't really need one to shift but I feel kinda weird without one there
Anyways, I looked through some of the sticky posts but could not find anything related to my question which is; Has anyone installed a tachometer into a Honda Civic DX? If so, how much did it cost, how hard was it to install and how does it look?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Honda Civic DX (NeoKabookie)

It's not surprising because many low-end models, regardless of their transmissions, are lacking a tachometer. This isn't just a Honda thing

As to your other question, you may plug-and-play an EX or Si cluster into your car. It'll look better than yours but completely stock and everything will work properly. You should be able to find the gauge clusters on eBay for under $150 shipped. Just make sure they're for 96 - 2001 Civics
Old 09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1999 Honda Civic DX (Archidictus)

You get what you pay for. You bought the lowest model Civic. It has the least amount of features.

Edit: But most importantly......NO v-Tak
Old 09-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's not surprising because many low-end models, regardless of their transmissions, are lacking a tachometer. This isn't just a Honda thing

As to your other question, you may plug-and-play an EX or Si cluster into your car. It'll look better than yours but completely stock and everything will work properly. You should be able to find the gauge clusters on eBay for under $150 shipped. Just make sure they're for 96 - 2001 Civics </TD></TR></TABLE>

What the? Who are you and what did you do to Archidictus?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 Honda Civic DX (AWD Terror)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AWD Terror &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You get what you pay for. You bought the lowest model Civic. It has the least amount of features.

Edit: But most importantly......NO v-Tak</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think the hatch came in an "EX" or "Si" model so if he bought a hatch he had no choice.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:20 AM

Thanks for the quick response Archidictus, I will have to look into that. Now am I going to have to remove the whole console to install the tach or does it mount ontop of the dash board?
I think some pictures would really help. Currently I am looking at this thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=949918 for more information.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:21 AM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: 1999 Honda Civic DX (EL Vap133)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EL Vap133 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What the? Who are you and what did you do to Archidictus? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NeoKabookie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the quick response Archidictus, I will have to look into that. Now am I going to have to remove the whole console to install the tach or does it mount ontop of the dash board?
I think some pictures would really help. Currently I am looking at this thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=949918 for more information.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Let me find you a thread real quick. You don't have to mount anything or remove the console - the EX or Si cluster replaces your factory instrument cluster (the thing with the gas gauge and speedometer and temp. gauge in it) but adds a tach as part of its basic layout.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2028629
Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 AM

Now a question about the cluster. Say I purchase one that will fit in my car and has a tach. If my car didn't have a tach to begin with and they describe this as plug and play, will there be wires to plug into the tach? It just seems kinda lazy on hondas behalf to have the wires for a tach but not have it on the cluster.

Here is what I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...sting
Old 09-07-2007, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NeoKabookie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now a question about the cluster. Say I purchase one that will fit in my car and has a tach. If my car didn't have a tach to begin with and they describe this as plug and play, will there be wires to plug into the tach? It just seems kinda lazy on hondas behalf to have the wires for a tach but not have it on the cluster.

Here is what I found on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...sting</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, that will plug and play with no problems! I have done this a couple times before. Just unplug and plug away. No other wires to cut/solder or anything. Just inscrew your old cluster out of there and unplug it, then plug the new one in and that is it!

Just remember if your car is a manual to get a cluster out of a manual car or vice versa.