Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1999 Civic Si Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Civic Si Thoughts?

I am probably buying a 1999 Civic Si in the next few days... 85k miles and bone stock, just the way I like to buy them. It's the sweet looking blue color offered in the Si, which is what really made me pick the car over an EX as I already have my "fast" car in the works with my other Civic. The reviews I find are very limited so I have a few extra questions for the forum:

1) Gas mileage... my 94' DX beats the sticker rating easily on my 45 - 55 mph average commute -- I was getting 40 mpg on a regular basis, and 44 mpg on occasion when I was thoughtful with it. Can I expect the Si to best the rated 31 mpg in this "ideal" driving condition? 31 is darn good... just curious!

2) Ride quality... how is it? I'm assuming it's not bad. I've had everything from a 2002 BMW 325i to a 1989 Firebird to a 1990 CRX Si lowered to the ground -- so I'm flexible. I'm just looking for a good description from those who have made long trips in it, more than a test drive can show me.

3) Anything else I should know about it?

Car looks great... I've looked at it and will test drive it tomorrow. Just looking for anything from folks who have owned one long term. This one looks like it was a weekend driver and was one owner.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1999 Civic Si Thoughts? (sundownz)

The B16 is a gas sipper, but the tranny has VERY short gearing, so expect high revs on the highway.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: 1999 Civic Si Thoughts? (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The B16 is a gas sipper, but the tranny has VERY short gearing, so expect high revs on the highway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks Any other trannies that I can use on the B16 that have longer gears? I'm really not looking to maximize performance on this one. Just wondering for when I rack up a ton of miles and need a new tranny. I'm alot more familiar with D series so I'm not really sure what to do with the B yet.

I suppose I'll see how it does for me. I'll be travelling about 70 miles a day on average... about 60 of those are 45 - 55 mph, the other 10 miles at 70 mph, so that is probably the only time I'll be revving hard, eh?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:50 PM

Default Re: 1999 Civic Si Thoughts? (t0p_sh0tta)

expect around 300+ miles to the tank
rpms don't matter a whole lot if you maintain a constant speed and can keep your foot off the gas

about the ride quality, i have gc coilovers on stock shocks :/ and its firm but very tolerable as i'm young
for highway use you'll be fine with it

and just a warning, your power windows will drive you nuts
use silicon spray on the tracks if they start going up slowly
and if it completely stops working, check the fuses, clean the connection, check if its fallen off the tracks, and if all that fails it's probably your window motor. its only $50 off ebay

hope that helps
Old 05-26-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have a 99 civic si in the milano red color. The mpg is like 34ish on normal city driving. I normally dont drive it much higher than 65mph and that what I get with mine. I do have an short ram intake and a full exhaust so I dunno if that makes a difference in mpgs. The ride is fairly good as long as your shocks are good. Mines lowered so the ride is a little different than stock. One thing to remember is for some reason when the gas tank gets below 1/4 of a tank it doesnt like to start up right away. But its no problem. All in all I would say they are a good car. On highway driving it does rev pretty high. But its all good though.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:52 PM

Default Re: 1999 Civic Si Thoughts? (gd99em1)

and as far as the gear ratio thing goes
5th gear ls + ls final drive would be very very nice good acceleration 1-4 + hardcore cruising 5th gear
Old 05-26-2007, 04:53 PM

Default Re: 1999 Civic Si Thoughts? (gd99em1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gd99em1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and just a warning, your power windows will drive you nuts
use silicon spray on the tracks if they start going up slowly
and if it completely stops working, check the fuses, clean the connection, check if its fallen off the tracks, and if all that fails it's probably your window motor. its only $50 off ebay </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for that one! I'll grease them up first thing so I don't have to worry about it for a while

The 2002 BMW I had was the worst for window problems... I replaced all four window regulators on it, it's a known issue as the grease dries up, it gets jammed due to no lube, and yanks the metal cord out of the nylon track piece.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:54 PM

Default Re: 1999 Civic Si Thoughts? (gt3civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gt3civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a 99 civic si in the milano red color. The mpg is like 34ish on normal city driving. I normally dont drive it much higher than 65mph and that what I get with mine. I do have an short ram intake and a full exhaust so I dunno if that makes a difference in mpgs. The ride is fairly good as long as your shocks are good. Mines lowered so the ride is a little different than stock. One thing to remember is for some reason when the gas tank gets below 1/4 of a tank it doesnt like to start up right away. But its no problem. All in all I would say they are a good car. On highway driving it does rev pretty high. But its all good though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nice! 34 is fantastic. I'll make sure to keep the tank full as well, I appreciate the heads up for sure.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:54 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sundownz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks for that one! I'll grease them up first thing so I don't have to worry about it for a while

The 2002 BMW I had was the worst for window problems... I replaced all four window regulators on it, it's a known issue as the grease dries up, it gets jammed due to no lube, and yanks the metal cord out of the nylon track piece.</TD></TR></TABLE>

my pass. side window went out about 2 weeks ago. Cleaned the connection and it was all good again.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:08 PM

I have a body shop and I just got a BMW in with the same window problem. I changed all regulators.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i love my em1 =]

but they have very little torque, which makes it a bit sluggish around town
and fifth gear cruising gets old, especially with an aftermarket exhaust

but other than that, its been 3 years for me, and i'm still in love

just be sure you take the time and money to secure your car properly.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:29 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (killaj12)

dont worry about the short 5th gear. I had a b16a2 in my 99 hatch. that had really short gearing. it was at like 3300 rpm in 5th at 60mph. It didnt really bother me at all, and gas mileage was still in the 30s. I commute to school which is like 45 miles each way, and then work and the GF...lol it makes about a 120 mile a day drive during school. The motor is meant to rev, and hangin out at like 70-75mph (3500-4000rpm) is fine. That's pretty much exactly like my S2000. Is the U.S gearing about the same as the JDM B16A2 gearing?

I have a 99 GSR as a daily now and i wish i had JDM B16 gearing in it. lol Anyone wanna trade?
Old 05-26-2007, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

I have a 2000 Si with 57336 miles. I get around 26-27 mpg city without driving like a grandma interstate driving I always get around 34 mpg. When my suspension was stock it rode pretty smooth and now im dropped on full coilovers it rides alil rough but nothing to bad no one complains. The only problems ive ever had with my car is the window regulators. Its def a good daily driver.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:42 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (SFBPI504)

If I already had a "fast" car, My Nice car certainly wouldn't be a 99-00 Civic si. Or any civic.

I'd get a 2000 Maxima. Or an infiniti
Old 05-26-2007, 07:47 PM

Default Re: (ek forever guy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If I already had a "fast" car, My Nice car certainly wouldn't be a 99-00 Civic si. Or any civic.

I'd get a 2000 Maxima. Or an infiniti</TD></TR></TABLE>

gas mileage?? fun to drive-ness??

I get what you're saying though. I always used to have a "fast" RWD car and a civic of some generation as a daily. Even my 5lug B16 99 hatch that i miss SO MUCH. However, I'm 22 and i kinda feel like i outgrew the modded civic scene. lol thats why i left my integra stock (except for the intake/header). my S2000 is staying classy, sandiego (V2, lowered, ADVAN RG2s)

I'd still love to have the Si, though. I would drive a gas efficient car even if prices were low.

1.) why the hell do you wanna pay for gas a lot if AT ALL? you fill it up, then it's gone with nothing really to show for it (daily driving). The less you pay the better no matter what the price is.
2.) environmental factors. i guess this one's more important to me.

I think if i did buy one, i'd debadge it completely and leave it stock looking and sounding.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:49 PM
Ek Forever y0!

I guess you've never driven a 6 speed v6 maxima.

They haul *** like nobody's business.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:52 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess you've never driven a 6 speed v6 maxima.

They haul *** like nobody's business.</TD></TR></TABLE>

gas mileage? and they're still not fun to drive just because they haul ***, IMO. A car has to be really nimble. The B16 is fun to drive because you have to abuse it to make it go. It revs fast, and high, and the trans is a ton of fun too. Plus the civic handles better than the maxima, and looks WAY better, IMO, albeit a little immature.

iduno i guess im the kinda guy that would have more fun driving a miata than a mustang.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Ek Forever y0!

Like I said. You've obviously never driven a 6spd maxima.

but that's not my point. If you want a fun DD fine, get an Si. Kind of a waste though. My daily driver would definately be automatic.

THat shifting **** gets old sometimes.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:02 PM

gah 90's maxima, the cars for ricers, ive drive an automatic 4 speed one boo

i dunt know about the 6 spd tho

shifting doesnt get tiring for me, but everysingel car ive had either has been manual or converted to manual quickly

honda automatic transmissons suck man
Old 05-26-2007, 08:13 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like I said. You've obviously never driven a 6spd maxima.

but that's not my point. If you want a fun DD fine, get an Si. Kind of a waste though. My daily driver would definately be automatic.

THat shifting **** gets old sometimes.</TD></TR></TABLE>

diff'rnt strokes, yo. I can't possibly drive automatic. I had a automatic galant for a while as a daily and i hated it. lol i had like 4 different cars in a 4 month period. im a weirdo.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:32 PM

lol same here anybody else shift through auto trans gears while driving? lol

i put it in nuetral once thinking **** i had to get into third lol
Old 05-26-2007, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

other than it doesnt have that much torque i love my EM1s.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:00 PM

I have had a Dodge Caliber as my DD for about 5 months... can't get used to not having a manual after I got into it again. So manual it is for me on both my DD and my fast car. Selling the Caliber to my folks
Old 05-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

only bad thing i have to say about my SI is the windows. same as the rest of the ppl. compounded w/ the fact that some how i killed some bugs IN the door and all the guts and **** are smearing when i roll up and down making it harder to go up an down LOL.

as for ride i got the car w/ 124k on it so the suspension was ready to be replaced. i replaced the clutch about that time too b/c i don't think the previous owner ever did.

if you keep it stock cruising in 5th at 70 at 4k rpms isn't bad..but i have a greddy evo and it drones a tad bit

i'm at 300 miles on this tank and still have 3 small bars on the fuel guage of gas left
Old 05-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Default Re: 1999 Civic Si Thoughts? (bsixteen)

you could just swap a GSR transmission into your em1. i think a lot of people prefer the GSR gearing the Si.

Quick Reply: 1999 Civic Si Thoughts?