Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1999 Civic Si - cruise control, defrost, climate control issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Civic Si - cruise control, defrost, climate control issues

Hey guys, I just picked up a super clean 1999 Civic Si last night with 159,000 miles on it. When driving it home last night and trying to set the cruise, I noticed it didn't work.

1st issue: If i hit the big cruise button near the mirror adjusment button, the little green light turns on. I then hit SET on the steering wheel to set the cruise the the little CRUISE light on the cluster turns on but when i take my foot off the gas the revs/speed fall and the car slows down. So even with both the cruise lights working, it will not hold the RPM or speed.

2nd Issue: I noticed when having the heat on full blast defrost and pulling the air from the engine compartment that my A/C light would turn on while driving. Now i know defrost runs the A/C compressor to use dry air but didn't know if this would actually turn the A/C light on and run it.

3rd Issue: I notice at night with the headlights fully on, on my climate controls the rear defrost button has a light behind it so you can see the icon when its dark but the A/C and pull air from engine buttons do not have a light on behind them, is there just a small bulb that i could replace or would it be deeper than that?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 1999 Civic Si Issues

2nd issue - the defrost is working properly. The A/C light should turn on.

3rd issue - there's a bulb(s) blown in the climate control.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1st issue, can you start the car without pushing in the clutch?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
2nd issue - the defrost is working properly. The A/C light should turn on.

3rd issue - there's a bulb(s) blown in the climate control.
Great, thank's a lot! I tried to search but it's hard to search for specific issues. I also noticed the lights behind the fan speed **** were dim, but if i flicked the **** they would brighten up.

For the a/c with defrost, it doesnt come on immediately but takes some time. Does it constantly run the a/c compressor?

Originally Posted by thatcivic96
1st issue, can you start the car without pushing in the clutch?
I honestly am not sure about that. If it can, what does that mean?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by VtecCivic93
Great, thank's a lot! I tried to search but it's hard to search for specific issues. I also noticed the lights behind the fan speed **** were dim, but if i flicked the **** they would brighten up.

Try replacing the old bulbs.

Does it constantly run the a/c compressor?

The A/C runs like normal, cycling on and off under control of the evaporator thermostat.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The cruise control operates off the safety switch with the clutch. If it will start without the clutch pushed in, bad switch which will in turn make your cruise not work. If cruise control was working and you were using it and pushed the clutch in, it kicks cruise off.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The cruise control operates off the safety switch with the clutch. If it will start without the clutch pushed in, bad switch which will in turn make your cruise not work. If cruise control was working and you were using it and pushed the clutch in, it kicks cruise off.
Same for brake pedal switch.

But I'm trying to remember whether the cluster CRUISE light turns off when the brake or clutch pedal is pressed down and cruise is disengaged.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't know that either, it has been 2 years since I have driven my Del Slo=[ I know in my truck it stays on if I just hit the brake. It does not go off until I turn off or shut truck off.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok that makes complete sense, thank's for the tip. I'll be taking my lunch at work shortly and will test it then.

Thanks for the help thus far guys!

Would either of you know where to find a diagram of how the drivers side window system works? The previous owner said the window came off the track so he blocked off the switches so it cannot be accidently pushed.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What you mean how it works? Like how the regulator moves window up and down? TO fix it just gotta take door panel off and put back on track at the bottom or sides where it attaches at. Fairly simply once you get in there. I am guessing though that the regulator and or motor went bad and he did not wanna tell you that. You can pick up at local parts store fairly cheap if that is the problem. I would open the door panel up and unblock the window with your hand in the door supporting the window and slowly see if the window would lower with your hand. That make sense?
Old 01-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI...For cruise control, a common cause of a problem like yours is that the rubber stopper that presses on the cruise control switch on the brake or clutch pedal has fallen out.
Attached Images  
Old 01-24-2013, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am guessing though that the regulator...went bad and he did not wanna tell you that. You can pick up at local parts store fairly cheap if that is the problem.
This^
Old 01-24-2013, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What you mean how it works? Like how the regulator moves window up and down? TO fix it just gotta take door panel off and put back on track at the bottom or sides where it attaches at. Fairly simply once you get in there. I am guessing though that the regulator and or motor went bad and he did not wanna tell you that. You can pick up at local parts store fairly cheap if that is the problem. I would open the door panel up and unblock the window with your hand in the door supporting the window and slowly see if the window would lower with your hand. That make sense?
Yeah, that very well could be. I just picked it up late last night and haven't had a chance to dig into it. I will definetely take a look at it and try out what you suggested. I've replaced a window regulator on my wifes old 94 Honda Accord twice so im pretty familiar with that.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Experience is a plus! Essentially same thing different car. That is only thing I can think of, rarely do I see a car that the window has just come off track and everything else is peachy.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Experience is a plus! Essentially same thing different car. That is only thing I can think of, rarely do I see a car that the window has just come off track and everything else is peachy.
Yeah I agree with that.

So I went and tried to start the car WITHOUT pushing the clutch in, and the car would NOT start. It would only start if I pushed the clutch in.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FYI...For cruise control, a common cause of a problem like yours is that the rubber stopper that presses on the cruise control switch on the brake or clutch pedal has fallen out.
Just saw you posted this, I will have to take a look at it after work. Thanks!
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So I went and tried to start the car WITHOUT pushing the clutch in, and the car would NOT start. It would only start if I pushed the clutch in.
This^ test tells you nothing about the cruise control switch or its rubber stopper.

The clutch pedal has two separate switches - one for the starter and other for cruise control.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does that differ from the del sol? When my cruise control didn't work I replaced the switch and it worked again.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This^ test tells you nothing about the cruise control switch or its rubber stopper.

The clutch pedal has two separate switches - one for the starter and other for cruise control.
Oh alright, I didn't know that i was just going off of what "thatcivic96" told me to check.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was under the assumption that it was one switch. So I guess check what he had said to check
Old 01-24-2013, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I was under the assumption that it was one switch.
Two separate switches on clutch pedal (starter and cruise control)

One combined switch on brake pedal (lights and cruise control)
Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I found 2 switches, one for the brake pedal and one for the clutch pedal. The little "nipple" that comes out of the sensors was moving back and forth as it should and the rubber part was still on the both of the pedals.

I didn't see 2 separate switches on the clutch pedal.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I found 2 switches, one for the brake pedal and one for the clutch pedal. The little "nipple" that comes out of the sensors was moving back and forth as it should and the rubber part was still on the both of the pedals.

I didn't see 2 separate switches on the clutch pedal.
Look again. If you have cruise control, the clutch pedal should have 2 switches, upper and lower (see diagram). The lower switch for cruise control has a 2P connector with a Pnk wire and a Blk wire. The upper switch for the starter has a 2P connector with a Blu/Blk wire and Blk wire. Which of these two switches did you locate?

The brake pedal switch has a 4P connector with Wht/Grn, Grn/Wht, Lt Grn, and Gry wires.
Attached Images  
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The lower switch is the one that i found. As i stated the "button" appeared to be moving in and out like it should, and the rubber part the button comes in contact with on the pedal is still attached to the pedal.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use a multimeter to check the clutch and brake CC switches.

Quick Reply: 1999 Civic Si - cruise control, defrost, climate control issues