Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/)
-   -   1999 Civic LX sedan - where are the sunroof drain holes? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/1999-civic-lx-sedan-where-sunroof-drain-holes-3334989/)

beeblequix 03-15-2019 06:58 AM

1999 Civic LX sedan - where are the sunroof drain holes?

Hello,

We bought a 1999 Civix LX sedan and it seeps water in the A-pillar on the driver's side. I understand that blocked sunroof drain holes will cause this type of leak to happen. I climbed up on the driver's side and looked in and around the sunroof track but can't seem to find the drain holes. Does anyone know where the drain holes are located on a 1999 Civic LX sedan? A picture or video would be much appreciated. Thanks.

ß

tony_2018 03-15-2019 08:15 AM

Re: 1999 Civic LX sedan - where are the sunroof drain holes?

don't recall an lx model having a sunroof but eithere way you need to remove the interior pillar piece and driver side sun visor needs to be removed. From there you pull the headliner down a bit and you should see the sunroof and a drain tube.

beeblequix 03-15-2019 10:22 AM

After reading your comments, talking with my friend and looking up standard specs for the 99 Civic I'm thinking it's an aftermarket sunroof that probably never had drain tubes installed. If it's aftermarket I'll just silicone the thing shut and not use it.

tony_2018 03-15-2019 07:54 PM

Best you check it...

beeblequix 03-18-2019 06:42 AM

I checked the sunroof over the weekend and found that the sunroof isn't responsible for the water coming in at all. Turns out that the driver's side door wasn't fitting correctly to the frame. I put my knee in the middle of the door on the inside and pulled the top of the door frame towards me, bending it just enough that the seals are actually doing their job. We did a garden hose test and no water is getting in now. And there never was actual water up in the sunroof tracks where it would be if it were leaking. No need to seal the roof shut. Now on to the myriad of other things to fix (window wiper switch, door lock switch, front passenger window regulator, rear driver's side regulator...and on and on...) Soon enough we'll have a functioning car for my stepkids. Thanks a lot for your help Tony. :)

beeblequix 03-25-2019 08:11 AM

So it turns out that I had water leaking from the door as well as around the sunroof. Apparently when they installed the sunroof they didn't put any sealant around the cut out roof. I injected a line of silicone around the sunroof between the lip and the roof. We had a huge rainstorm over the last couple of days -- I still got a small amount of seepage coming in on the passenger's side but nowhere near what was happening before. I'm going to reapply silicone as I probably didn't do a precise enough job. I'll report on my progress. Hope this helps someone. Thanks.

beeblequix 04-01-2019 07:54 AM

A second, more complete line of silicone solved the problem. No leaking. :)

tony_2018 04-01-2019 03:06 PM

Good shit, sorry to hear about the shitty install, oem sunroofs have a pan and drain tubes.