Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1999 Civic EX...a few questions regarding camber

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Civic EX...a few questions regarding camber

im sure these threads pop up every day and i've been researching for a few hours and come up with some good stuff but i just want to clarify my situation.

I have an EJ8 and recently dropped it on Function & Form Type 1 adjustable coilovers (which I love by the way ). I'm still on steelies but am upgrading to either 15's or 16's soon, fenders will soon be rolled in the rear and my ride height will be under a finger gap between tire and fender all the way around once i get my new wheels. This will be used for strictly DD use with spirited driving every once in a while, no track use though.

I've been reading threads about how pointless camber kits are and what really matters is getting the toe aligned. But apparently a rear camber kit is important on 96-00 civics. Can someone clarify this for me? Will i be fine if i order just a rear camber kit and leave the front as it is?

I've read stories of the front camber kits hitting the fender liners and so on. I would like to avoid any of these problems. If you have any advice or input it would be appreciated. thanks!

quick pic of my EJ8 for reference. Just a typical EM1 wannabe (rears will be raised a little once new wheels are on):
Old 07-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 Civic EX...a few questions regarding camber

bump
Old 07-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 615 Likes on 487 Posts

You can get away with no camber kits in the front. The 96-00 chassis has a pretty steep camber curve in the back though, so unless you're lowered pretty moderately you'll want to do something about it. You don't need to spend more than a few bucks, just get some washers and longer (good quality strong) bolts for where the uca bolts to the body and shim it out. I'm pretty sure there's an article somewhere in the faq's.

And I hope you're getting it aligned at each step, or you're just pissing away tires and gas by dragging your wheels down the road sideways.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by spAdam
You can get away with no camber kits in the front. The 96-00 chassis has a pretty steep camber curve in the back though, so unless you're lowered pretty moderately you'll want to do something about it. You don't need to spend more than a few bucks, just get some washers and longer (good quality strong) bolts for where the uca bolts to the body and shim it out. I'm pretty sure there's an article somewhere in the faq's.

And I hope you're getting it aligned at each step, or you're just pissing away tires and gas by dragging your wheels down the road sideways.
cool thanks for the info, i think im just gonna spend the $30 and get a rear kit off ebay, they seem to be ok. I havent gotten it aligned yet, im waiting til i get my new wheels so i can dial in my suspension exactly how i want it and then im gonna get it aligned.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Some places like tire kingdom and firestone have unlimited alignment deals. You pay $150-200 for unlimited alignments for 3 or 5 years. I think this is a pretty good deal for people (like me) who're interested in suspension/change things with it pretty often, because it will really eat your tires if you change ride height and don't get the car aligned. I wouldn't put it off unless you really don't care about the tires on your steelies, but it's always nice to have an extra set of wheels/tires around, even if they're just steelies.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thats pretty cool, i'll have to look into that thanks for the reference.