Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1999 Civic DX Hatch Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Civic DX Hatch Build

Ok guys Not so noob anymore but still new.

Building a 99 Civic DX
Doing a H22 swap with full LSD tranny regeared with b16 1st 2nd and 3rd. With 4 and 5 h22 gears.
Picking up my RHD clip from hmotors
Got my H22a from Hmotors went with obd1 and they gave me the resistor box!!!
Picking up a chase bays wire harness.
Keeping the a/c and power steering.
Also keeping the cruise control.
Hondata S300 to manage it.

Suspension
Eibach springs and struts
ASR subframe brace and sway bar
CTR sway bar up front
CTR 32mm 5 Lug conversion
Konig lightning wheels

Last edited by dewey_civic; 06-03-2012 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Modified the build
Old 04-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1999 Civic DX Hatch Build

So far list looks good can't wait to see pics -
Old 04-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much do you think youve spent on it already?
Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The car came with the sunroof so that was nice. I have spent over 4000 on suspension and brake setup, and another 1500ish on the engine, and 1000 on interior parts not including the stereo. So about 6,500 over a year. Not to bad. i paid 5,500 for the car. Luckily I already had the engine and tranny from my last civic that i had. i swapped it with a B18c1 (shoud of kept the engine) so i had the B16 in the garage.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Has anyone ever used the Buddy Club Coilovers?
Old 04-23-2011, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a LSD and you'll have a lot more fun in it.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

not to familiar with the lsd but am curious to start getting into it. Got some sites i can go to learnn some more about it?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dewey_civic
not to familiar with the lsd but am curious to start getting into it. Got some sites i can go to learnn some more about it?
you're already here. just use the search bar.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did someone have a sunroof put in or are you not located in the US?
Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well when i bought the hatchy it came with the sunroof. the problem is the head liner. i cant seem to find one that fits. the one that is in there looks to from an eg. i am looking for ideas. i though perhaps a si one will fit but i can never find a headliner for sale.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The coupes, including Si, have a different length head liner so that wouldn't work unless you cut it to fit.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that is what i was thinking about doing but what about the front portion is it all the same sizes? I can hide my unsteady cutting abilities in the molding!! Thats not an issue at all.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking for some body parts like front si bumper and lip also interior parts. Front and back seats!!
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any one know where to find oem wheel wells?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:22 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any one know where to find oem wheel wells?
The fender liners can be bought for about $50-70 at majestic honda.

Since you seem new, I've listed all the things in the build you could leave out and therefore improve the other parts in your list:

1999 Civic DX Hatch Build
Ok guys Noob here!!

Building a 99 Civic Hatch!!
Got a Build Thread here and looking for the criticism so here goes!!!

Current upgrades:

Engine:
B16A2 Motor swap w/ B16 Tranny
A/C
Power Steering
Cruise Control
Mishimoto Aluminium Radiator w/ hoses
Mishimoto Fan Shroud
Skunk 2 Intake Manifold
Password JDM Carbon Intake w/ Power Chamber
Password JDM Carbon Air Cooler
DC Header
Megan Racing Catback Exhaust Drift Spec
I would highly recommend you skip on everything after the swap and retaining a/c and power steering and with that savings buy an integra type r engine and transmission. b18c5. All those parts are going to cost you more than the price difference in the swap and the b18c5 with stock exhaust and a stock header will still eat you for lunch. All of the "bolt on parts" that will supposedly improve the power on the b16, won't, and you should invest that elsewhere. The radiator and the password JDM parts are the biggest wastes of money in this list. Megan racing is also junk. DC isn't bad, but for the money you'd spend on a DC header you can get a solid kidd racing RMF replica with a larger collector to go with your b18c5 engine that will be your favorite upgrade.

Interior:
Power Windows
Power Locks
Power Sunroof
JDM Shift Boot
all this stuff is fine, and stuff I'd like to do to my car. Aftermarket power sunroofs have a lot of problems however and I wouldn't recommend it. It's also 40+lbs of weight at the worst place to put 40lbs on your car. The very tip top. It will affect your handling.

Exterior:
16x7 Konig Lightning Rims
Tires Coming Soon
I bought some konig wheels at the beginning of the year. After one month the finish was chipping and flaking off. I sold them, save my money for two weeks, and bought some Volk CE28Ns. The wheels and tires together weigh less than my konig wheels alone weighed. Well worth the wait and the I could tell immediately the lighter wheels driving the car. I highyl recommend summer tires. S. Drives in particular.
Suspension:
Buddy Club N+ Dampering Coilovers w/ Top Mount
Buddy Club LCA's
The LCAs aren't necessary unless your OEM ones are rusted or bent. Buddy club dampers are pretty mediocre, for not much more you could get koni and ground control and pick spring rates that suit your needs and goals for the car. Also koni offers a lifetime warranty.

Braking:
CTR 5 Lug Conversion
Power Slot Slotted Rotors
Hawk Pads
Inline 4 Brake Lines
Never heard of Inline 4 brake lines, I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole. Goodridge lines or stoptech lines are the only ones I'd use. 5 lug conversions are useless. Tragic waste of money to get a few more wheel options and a few less at the same time. The braking improvement could be had for a lot less from fastbrakes, brakeexpert, hell for the price of a 5 lug conversion you could buy a wilwood dynalite kit and get something that performs better than CTR brakes and looks cool too.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow you really let me have it!! I appreciate the input. Thanks. However if i may defend myself. The CTR swap was a gift so not much invested there. I need new rotor and pads. The same compony that makes other brake lines makes almost all the brake lines and all are tested at the same stats. I hope. ( I have a fellow tuner that uses them and has no prob with them.) My over all goal is a dd. I enjoy a/c. As for LCA's I like the look of them and will go great with my ASR subframe brace. I am building a Hatchback that is great for taking the wife out with a little power and yet has the appeal of a show car. I overall want a car that i can be cruising down Interstate 10 in 5th gear and not have to worry about down shifting into 4th to pass some old S.O.B. and still be B.A.R. legal. I really appreciate the input. Please keep in mind that I am in the Armed Forces and I dont have a ballin uget however I have what I want in mind. TAhanks for your input. Oh I really wanted a set of Sprint Hart CP wheels. But these one will do me until I get back from my deployment!!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am glad that you and I made the same mistake of buying Konig wheels. Perhaps I will someday make comment like yours to a new tuner. I hope that these wheels will last me at least till i get back from my next combat deployment.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Your budget is more ballin than you think. I only make a little more than minimum wage and have a pretty new house, a fiance, a small savings portfolio, and manage to fix up my car (albeit slowly over time).

The 5 lug as a gift is nice. I would say 5 lug was worth it if I needed a brake upgrade and it was free. Even if it was free for me I wouldn't put it on. My s2000 calipers are a tad better than hype-r calipers. Your "not ballin" budget is bloated a lot with fluff parts that could get you a more reliable, better sounding, faster car.

b16 engines are gutless, you'll need to do some major downshifting to pass anyone. The same goes for most honda engines with the exception of anything 2.0L+ a b20z or an h22 with a b-series transmission would be very torquey. The bolt ons aren't going to get you any noticeable power. It's likely you'll just shift the power to the upper end of the power band and require you to rev higher to get to that power. The car will also be noisy with the "drift spec" exhaust. Which is contradictory, considering civics can't drift.

Especially if you're on deployment, wait, and save the money. You'll be much happier if you do your car right the first time. I'm just speaking from experience in buying cheap stuff first and regretting it only to sell and buy good parts a few weeks later. It feels really nice to have quality Recaro seats and real Volk wheels on my car. Much better than the '09 Si seats I had and the heavy konigs that I had.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I really appreciate you talking me out of buying the newer civic seats. I am on a website called UPARAGE its a local place in Okinawa japan. That is where i am at now. Check them out. I would love a type r interior!! I have not installed the exhaust yet. I have did my research and that exhaust actually performed better on a stock engine than some higher named exhaust. That is where I am confused#$%
Old 04-25-2011, 04:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As for the sunroof I am as confused as most as why it's a hatch and it has a sunroof!!! Pretty cool I thought. Like I said i am building a cruiing car not a stripped out 11 sec car like most. I am 28 and not into that anymore. I had an EF and put a B16A into it back in 98 i had that stripped out and I loved it so now I want a dd that is still effective as a regular car that has more power than a stock Civic. Most likely a B18 or even a B20 will come in the future. I see where your going with this and its proven to be a great engine!! Totally agree. Like I said in the 1st post bump me or let me know!! Thank You.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 AM
Ek Forever y0!

I imagine the exhaust probably performs very well. Megan racing products usually tend to be "knock-offs" but exhausts are pretty straightforward and hard to mess up. There are plenty of good cheap exhausts. There are plenty of crappy really expensive exhausts. Greddy being one of those.

I'd love to have a sunroof in my hatchback, I drive a 2000 myself. the car is 9/10th a daily driver and 1/10th my autocross toy. So I'm a lot more concerned with it's safety, reliability, and quality. But I still want the car to handle well and be a function car. Having a sunroof would be awesome, but the fiance has a Del Sol, lol.

The b16 is no doubt a lot better than a y8, it's not a bad start. Just trust me when I tell you you'll want something with a bit more displacement in the future. The direction you're plotting for your car really isn't that bad in my opinion, I've seen far worse. I'm sure you'll be happy with it and it will be a good learning experience. The best way to learn is through doing.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i will bump if you post pictures
Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looks good. Can't wait to see it.

I've been looking into the megan racing drift exhaust also so when you get it post some pics up!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As soon as I get back to the states pics will be going up. Trust me!! I am enjoying this more than you are looking at my pics!! Thanks for the support.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If anyone has any input on a carbon hatch what glass do I need to get?

Last edited by dewey_civic; 04-26-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Miss spelling

Quick Reply: 1999 Civic DX Hatch Build