Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1998 EX Loss of Power on Low RPMs, Good Idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1998 EX Loss of Power on Low RPMs, Good Idle

Hi there, new to this forum, but I would not post this if I could find an answer to my problem anywhere.

I have searched a ton of forums, and non of the symptoms exactly like mine, and if they are the thread never had an answer. So my fellow new forumers!!! I am very thankful to have you here, and that you spent your time reading this. Hopefully I can get some help!!

I have 1998 Civic EX 1.6L, it has 290 kms on it. It ran good until one morning i sit in and try to drive to work, only realizing i lost power on my lower RPMs.

The car idles good, and has no CEL light, also I have changed a distributor thinking it will solve the problem. The throttle body was cleaned, and still same problem.

Especially on the hills, from stop it starts off very very very slow, and once i am up to 2500 -3000 RPMs it kicks in and drives as it did before. My mechanic telling me that it has high mileage and that my clutch might be starting to go, but I doubt that, as I drive M/T since I was a kid, basically he kept the car for about 2 weeks, after changing the distributor, and gave up on it, saying its dying slowly. The distributor did help just a bit.

Also the CAT he checked he said when i told him it might be plugged after reading the forums, He said it is good.

Please if anyone ever had something like that let me know if you fixed it.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998 EX Loss of Power on Low RPMs, Good Idle

Take it to another mechanic to get a second opinion.Your car needs fuel, spark and air to run, so it's probably deficient in one or more of those. Seems like the mechanic you took it to was on the right track cleaning the throttle body and suspecting the distributor (as long as he did all test on it first). He is also correct in his assumption that your clutch may be the issue, again a second opinion would help.

Check your air filter, check for vacuum leaks and check spark and fuel pressure by using Ron's > About Me> "useful tech links": https://honda-tech.com/forums/members/former-user-999573189/. A valve lash adjustment may help as well. Also, replace your PCV valve if it has been change in the past 12K miles.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your mechanic is an idiot... if it were your clutch, you definately would not be able to run it at higher rpm's, it would be slipping big time. What is your timing like - mechanical and ignition?
Old 11-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

a clutch issue isn't "loss of power", it's lots of power and no go. it revs like it's accelerating when it's barely moving. and the clutch only starts to go in higher gears, 4th and 5th usually. go slow, like 30 in 4th gear. then mash the pedal. if the rpms slowly climb and the car barely accelerates ( like normal) then it's fine. if the rpms race up the tach and you don't accelerate at the same rate/at all, than its your clutch. Idk how people can't tell when their clutch is going... it's pretty obvious... -.-
but all of this doesn't sound like a clutch issue. check your throttle cable, make sure you're fuel filter isn't clogged, maybe check your pump. lotta things to rule out first.
sounds like you need a new mechanic... this guy sounds incompetent and completely unhelpful.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by redberan1
a clutch issue isn't "loss of power", it's lots of power and no go. it revs like it's accelerating when it's barely moving. and the clutch only starts to go in higher gears, 4th and 5th usually. go slow, like 30 in 4th gear. then mash the pedal. if the rpms slowly climb and the car barely accelerates ( like normal) then it's fine. if the rpms race up the tach and you don't accelerate at the same rate/at all, than its your clutch. Idk how people can't tell when their clutch is going... it's pretty obvious... -.-
but all of this doesn't sound like a clutch issue. check your throttle cable, make sure you're fuel filter isn't clogged, maybe check your pump. lotta things to rule out first.
sounds like you need a new mechanic... this guy sounds incompetent and completely unhelpful.

Doesn't sound like a fuel issue to me - though it could be the regulator (not sure the year but I think Honda had a recall on it), as it would tend to effect the engine at higher rpm's/load, than at lower ones - more fuel required at higher loads/rpm's... CATs usually effect higher end rpm's and speeds...

I would definately set the mechanical timing to TDC... then check ignition timing.

Perhaps looking at your EGR and cleaning the ports out...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Telecatster
Take it to another mechanic to get a second opinion.Your car needs fuel, spark and air to run, so it's probably deficient in one or more of those. Seems like the mechanic you took it to was on the right track cleaning the throttle body and suspecting the distributor (as long as he did all test on it first). He is also correct in his assumption that your clutch may be the issue, again a second opinion would help.

Check your air filter, check for vacuum leaks and check spark and fuel pressure by using Ron's > About Me> "useful tech links": https://honda-tech.com/forums/members/former-user-999573189/. A valve lash adjustment may help as well. Also, replace your PCV valve if it has been change in the past 12K miles.

Thank you for reply, I actually have used those links before I wrote this, where I saw this member answering some other questions. I will consider what you said, the clutch is not a problem i can assure you. Is there a list that I can start on to eliminate the possible problems?
Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would start with your timing first, both mechanical and ignition. If that is correct, next thing I would do is check your fuel regulator and egr valve...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
Doesn't sound like a fuel issue to me - though it could be the regulator (not sure the year but I think Honda had a recall on it), as it would tend to effect the engine at higher rpm's/load, than at lower ones - more fuel required at higher loads/rpm's... CATs usually effect higher end rpm's and speeds...

I would definately set the mechanical timing to TDC... then check ignition timing.

Perhaps looking at your EGR and cleaning the ports out...
Would I notice if timing is off? I would imagine it would be something like a missfire? If that is it, than it idles and runs good. When you accelerate, it does not jump to high RPMs, but starts off very slow and gets to 3000 and goes fine with no hesitation.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No misfire? So your saying, it basically drags *** up until about 3K rpm's? Ok, check out your EGR valve and the ports it attaches to. You might want to clean the egr valve and the port out. If it makes a difference, but you still have slight issues, consider replacing the egr and double checking that the egr port was thoroughly cleaned...
Old 11-27-2013, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by pityocamptes
No misfire? So your saying, it basically drags *** up until about 3K rpm's? Ok, check out your EGR valve and the ports it attaches to. You might want to clean the egr valve and the port out. If it makes a difference, but you still have slight issues, consider replacing the egr and double checking that the egr port was thoroughly cleaned...
No it actually drags *** up until 3k RPMs! You are on the spot there! EGR Valve i will check and update you guys! Thank you again!
Old 11-28-2013, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay so I decided to look for EGR valve, anddd I don't have that... I cleaned out injectors and that's about it still having same problem I will post a picture have one piece that is suppose to e where EGR is on other engines and has two hose going in it on different sides plus connector, not sure what it is but I could not get the hose out, wanted to clean it. So any other ideas what it could be?
Old 11-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eagle1989
No it actually drags *** up until 3k RPMs! You are on the spot there! EGR Valve i will check and update you guys! Thank you again!
Yea once again, no EGR valve. Any body has any other ideas?
Old 11-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds pretty basic, but when your mechanic changed the distributor, did he also check the wiring and spark plugs?

How old are the air and fuel filters?
Old 11-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Matt_EG
Sounds pretty basic, but when your mechanic changed the distributor, did he also check the wiring and spark plugs?

How old are the air and fuel filters?
Hi there, yes wires/plugs where actually changed a few weeks before the distributor. The fuel filter i am not sure, would it give the same symptoms if it was clogged?

Thank you for reply
Old 11-29-2013, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would:
- check your TPS sensor
- then replace o2 sensor if it's old
Old 11-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes TPS i checked running good, from 0.5 to 4.5-4.7, its cold now here something like -10, so when i just start it, and start going, it runs as it should be, as soon as it starts to warm up, running very slow on low RPMs.
Old 12-06-2013, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OKay we can close this thread, car sold as is. Sorry guys, and thank you for your help