Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1998 DX, check engine light because of o2 sensor

Old 10-30-2012, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 DX, check engine light because of o2 sensor

Hey so I just got brand new headers and a full exhaust for my 98 d16y7...
I took of the stock headers and exhaust and put on the new ones and the car drives and sounds good.

When I was taking off the stock headers I saw that the 2 o2 sensors were connected to the header and cat converter... I tried taking the sensors off and about 2 hours later managed to get one off but the other one is stayed on because they are rusted in there good. The sensor that came off was the one after the cat converter and the one before that is still on the stock headers.

So what I did was I took the 2nd sensor and put it in the first sensors spot on my new headers.. I called VatoZone and they said 85$ for a new sensor which I cannot afford to pay. So when I turn the car the check engine light is on because of the missing sensor i'm assuming.
My question is.. when I replaced the 2nd o2 sensor and put it on the 1st o2 sensors spot, does that change anything or could I just keep it that way? And also how bad is it if i'm not driving with the 2nd o2 sensor on?
Old 10-30-2012, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998 DX, check engine light because of o2 sensor

If you put the 2nd where the 1st was then you just have 1 o2. There not spot specific. Also you'll lose gas mileage and run a little funky. Nothing life changing
Old 10-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EFinAwesome
If you put the 2nd where the 1st was then you just have 1 o2. There not spot specific. Also you'll lose gas mileage and run a little funky. Nothing life changing
I was thinking of going to a shop so the dudes can get the other one out but he said 30 bucks for it... I think I will do that rather than get a new one for 85$.

So once I do that it should be fine and hopefully no check engine right?
Old 10-31-2012, 05:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it's $30 for a brand new denso one from rockauto.
Old 10-31-2012, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JDMrelic
Hey so I just got brand new headers and a full exhaust for my 98 d16y7...
I took of the stock headers and exhaust and put on the new ones and the car drives and sounds good.

When I was taking off the stock headers I saw that the 2 o2 sensors were connected to the header and cat converter... I tried taking the sensors off and about 2 hours later managed to get one off but the other one is stayed on because they are rusted in there good. The sensor that came off was the one after the cat converter and the one before that is still on the stock headers.

So what I did was I took the 2nd sensor and put it in the first sensors spot on my new headers.. I called VatoZone and they said 85$ for a new sensor which I cannot afford to pay. So when I turn the car the check engine light is on because of the missing sensor i'm assuming.
My question is.. when I replaced the 2nd o2 sensor and put it on the 1st o2 sensors spot, does that change anything or could I just keep it that way? And also how bad is it if i'm not driving with the 2nd o2 sensor on?
go to any autoparts store and buy PB penetrating blast, drench the stuck o2 sensor for about 30 minutes then try to remove it. your check engine light is on because your car requires a secondary o2 sensor