Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1998 CX Ebay Radiator/Fan vs. OEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 CX Ebay Radiator/Fan vs. OEM

I have a stock 1998 CX and the previous owner replaced the radiator with a thicker core aluminum Ebay radiator and aftermarket fan. Long story short, I have replaced the head/head gasket, etc. but still worry about overheating because I've read that the Ebay fans can't cool the thicker core radiator sufficiently. I manage a parts store and can get oem replacement parts cheap. Will the OEM Radiator/OEM Fan setup cool more efficiently than the Ebay setup? Or is there a way I can increase the efficiency of the Ebay fan? One thing I've read is that people upgrade to a better aftermarket fan...this is not something I'm interested in because I can get the OEM setup cheaper than that. Just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:04 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1998 CX Ebay Radiator/Fan vs. OEM

Can't you just put a stock fan and shroud onto your ebay radiator.

I don't know what type of header you have in there. Can you fit a stock fan?

The problem with crappy fans is the lack of shrouding. But....I doubt you'll have overheating problems unless the radiator is blocked and/or the fan is totally not working.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:30 PM
On vacation

Get a SPAL puller fan and a ziptie style install kit.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:28 PM

Zip tie install kit
Old 02-24-2015, 03:45 AM
On vacation

Originally Posted by B serious
Zip tie install kit
Do you have a better way to mount a custom fan setup?

I'm certainly not aware of any other ways.

The zip tie clamps (with the square end and neoprene pads) won't damage the radiator, and won't break.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by testify
Do you have a better way to mount a custom fan setup?

I'm certainly not aware of any other ways.

The zip tie clamps (with the square end and neoprene pads) won't damage the radiator, and won't break.
Lol. Yes. They make shroud and mounting kits for aftermarket fans now.

before they did that, I made my own mounts out of aluminum, like 12-13 years ago for my aftermarket Koyo radiator and high performance fan setup that I installed in my SR20 swapped 240.

Even back when I was just a boy, I knew the zip tie thing was an awful idea. Those ties will eventually rip or stretch your radiator fins.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:18 AM

To answer the next question,

Companies include those zip tie kits with their fans because if they told people "you really should make or buy a custom mount kit for these fans", they'd reconsider the need for a high performance radiator and fan on their I/H/E B16.

And to field the next comment,

I'm sure that lots of people "have been running the zip tie setup since the time of the dinosaurs and haven't had any problems". But they probably haven't looked. And there's a better way of doing things than "not having any problems".
Old 02-24-2015, 04:20 AM
On vacation

Lol. Yes. They make shroud and mounting kits for aftermarket fans now.

before they did that, I made my own mounts out of aluminum, like 12-13 years ago for my aftermarket Koyo radiator and high performance fan setup that I installed in my SR20 swapped 240.

Even back when I was just a boy, I knew the zip tie thing was an awful idea. Those ties will eventually rip or stretch your radiator fins.
They don't damage the radiator, and they don't break.

OP isn't running a shroud. You can't attach the fan to something that isn't there.

A shroud is completely unnecessary on many applications.

You definitely don't need a shroud on an EK to keep the motor cool while stationary, just a decent fan.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:23 AM

They don't damage the radiator, and they don't break.

OP isn't running a shroud. You can't attach the fan to something that isn't there.

A shroud is completely unnecessary on many applications.

You definitely don't need a shroud on an EK to keep the motor cool while stationary, just a decent fan.

I said you can MAKE mounts like I did. And sure. You don't need a shroud. Thats why there's one from the factory.

Shrouding and/or hard mounting is a better way to do it. You can hold your bumper on with zip ties if you want also. Its much easier
Old 02-24-2015, 04:32 AM
On vacation

I said you can MAKE mounts like I did. And sure. You don't need a shroud. Thats why there's one from the factory.

Shrouding and/or hard mounting is a better way to do it. You can hold your bumper on with zip ties if you want also. Its much easier
Do you understand that I'm not talking about regular zip ties that loop?

Those won't break or stretch, and they won't damage your radiator.

The reason these cars come with a shroud from the factory is for efficiency of the cooling system. Less time running the fans is better from a manufacturer perspective.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:32 AM

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Yes I know what those fan zip ties look like.

Sure, you can run a zip tie kit and no shrouding and "have no problems". I'm just saying...its a shitty setup overall. And yes...it does tend to stretch out or deform the fins over time.

It "works" to do things in a basic way. I'm just suggesting that maybe its not the best, or most recommended way to do it.

If you bought a car from Honda....and you saw a zip tied, non shrouded fan....would you give it a sideways look? I'd push it off a cliff. I don't f#&k around. Or live near any cliffs :'(
Old 02-24-2015, 04:35 AM

The reason these cars come with a shroud from the factory is for efficiency of the cooling system. Less time running the fans is better from a manufacturer perspective.

I see. So the point of an aftermarket, high performance fan/cooling setup is so that you can LACK efficiency and require longer run time from fans?

Or is it just for looks? I think zip ties look SO DOPE.

Old 02-24-2015, 04:37 AM
On vacation

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. Yes I know what those fan zip ties look like.

Sure, you can run a zip tie kit and no shrouding and "have no problems". I'm just saying...its a shitty setup overall. And yes...it does tend to stretch out or deform the fins over time.

It "works" to do things in a basic way. I'm just suggesting that maybe its not the best, or most recommended way to do it.

If you bought a car from Honda....and you saw a zip tied, non shrouded fan....would you give it a sideways look? I'd push it off a cliff. I don't f#&k around. Or live near any cliffs :'(

I wouldn't blink twice if the car came from Honda like that, because I've used them in racecar applications, and had zero issues over miles and miles of hard abuse.

I'm not sure what you consider deformation. A slightly deformed fin, out of the thousands of fins on your radiator? How would that affect performance? I give you a hint, it wouldn't.

Also, they're zip ties. If they were to somehow stretch, which they won't because there is no pressure on them, simply pull on them and take up any slack.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Can't you just put a stock fan and shroud onto your ebay radiator.
Done.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:32 AM
On vacation

I see. So the point of an aftermarket, high performance fan/cooling setup is so that you can LACK efficiency and require longer run time from fans?

Or is it just for looks? I think zip ties look SO DOPE.

I run a stock radiator on my EG autocross car, because I see no need to replace it since I don't take the car too seriously.

I still use the stock fan and shroud, but I have considered replacing it for a very simple reason.

Weight.

The OEM fan and shroud is heavy. A quality aftermarket fan from SPAL is light.

Getting weight out of the nose of the car is huge.

I run a 48mm Koyo on my E36, with the mechanical fan and shroud in the bay deleted, Condenser/pusher fan/shroud deleted on the other side, and run a single 16" SPAL puller with no shroud on the motor side.

It doesn't overheat, the temp gauge doesn't move, it doesn't have any problems aside from being awesome and dropping 30lbs off the front of the car.

I can't see how you could possibly need a shroud on an EK if your cooling system is working correctly, and you have a properly functioning quality fan on the radiator.

Keep in mind, cooling fans and shrouds are for sitting stationary. They don't do anything for the car when it's moving.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:56 PM

I run a stock radiator on my EG autocross car, because I see no need to replace it since I don't take the car too seriously.

I still use the stock fan and shroud, but I have considered replacing it for a very simple reason.

Weight.

The OEM fan and shroud is heavy. A quality aftermarket fan from SPAL is light.

Getting weight out of the nose of the car is huge.

I run a 48mm Koyo on my E36, with the mechanical fan and shroud in the bay deleted, Condenser/pusher fan/shroud deleted on the other side, and run a single 16" SPAL puller with no shroud on the motor side.

It doesn't overheat, the temp gauge doesn't move, it doesn't have any problems aside from being awesome and dropping 30lbs off the front of the car.

I can't see how you could possibly need a shroud on an EK if your cooling system is working correctly, and you have a properly functioning quality fan on the radiator.

Keep in mind, cooling fans and shrouds are for sitting stationary. They don't do anything for the car when it's moving.

I guess that I missed the part where the OP said he was building some lightweight, budget, sardine can autocross BMW where cooling isn't a big concern.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:59 PM
On vacation

I guess that I missed the part where the OP said he was building some lightweight, budget, sardine can autocross BMW where cooling isn't a big concern.
It's not a low budget build. You are confusing light weight with low budget.

and cooling at an autocross is a MAJOR concern, as you stress the car and generate heat for about a minute, and then have to stop and let the cooling system keep everything cool.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

It's not a low budget build. You are confusing light weight with low budget.
And it seems you are confusing yourself with the OP.

Unless you know what the OP is doing/building and just haven't let everyone else in on the secret.......

OP already stated can get OEM for less over a quality slim fan/shroud combo, so seems weight isn't the concern in this case......
Old 02-24-2015, 02:46 PM
On vacation

Originally Posted by TomCat39
And it seems you are confusing yourself with the OP.

Unless you know what the OP is doing/building and just haven't let everyone else in on the secret.......

OP already stated can get OEM for less over a quality slim fan/shroud combo, so seems weight isn't the concern in this case......
Which would be his prerogative.

I didn't say that he should do it my way, or that my way is better.

I have only argued that my way would work, and that it would be reliable, and in doing so I refuted the comments of the naysayers, and responded to B serious' trolling comment about one of my cars.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:23 PM

Nobody's arguing against you that your way COULD work. I'm saying its not the best way to do it and that I wouldn't recommend it.

Hence the comment "Zip tie install kit "

I guess in your mind, that was some sort of personal attack? Trolling about one of your cars?!! HEAVEN FORBID!!
Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 AM
On vacation

Nobody's arguing against you that your way COULD work. I'm saying its not the best way to do it and that I wouldn't recommend it.

Hence the comment "Zip tie install kit "

I guess in your mind, that was some sort of personal attack? Trolling about one of your cars?!! HEAVEN FORBID!!
You're still trolling.

You can ignorantly say whatever you want about the zip tie install kit. Your assumptions were wrong, plain and simple.

I was referring to your trolling comments about my automobile.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:19 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

I believe OP has been given some relavent ideas for OP's needs. Has been given the pros and cons of it all.

The rest is just an endless circle as no one is willing to let it go and each wants to perceive what they want to perceive.

I think it's safe to say this thread is concluded.

OP if you wish to have your thread reopened, please PM me and I am happy to oblige as long as it's just not for the entertainment value alone.

Cheers.

In short, OEM fan shroud, zip tie kit on some after market slim fan, or what you already said you don't wish to do, buy an aftermarket quality slim fan and shroud.

Cheers.