Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1998 Civic DX 1.6 L Auto Trans Mods!

Old 03-05-2003, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 Civic DX 1.6 L Auto Trans Mods!

Would someone, (perhaps the person who wrote about possibilities for SOHC(DX) models) could elaborate on the possibilities in terms of performance upgrades to a D16 engine with automatic trans?

I will begin by saying that I added an AEM Fuel Filter, an AEM Fuel Regulator @ 39 LOW & 47-49 HI, an AEM Fuel Rail, an MSD 6A, an MSD Blaster 2, an MSD Power Cap, an MSD Set of Super Conductor 8.5 mm. Spark Plug Wires, NGK R Spark Plugs @ 50 Gap, and I maybe getting an HKS Dragger Exhaust, a DC 4-2-1 Header, and a Tornado Air Extreme Power Intake (what you think about ?) Is the new AEM V2 Air Intake better than the K&N FIKP Gen 2 Air Intake?

By the way, will anyone tell me exactly what type of engine is mine with all its lettert configurations because it doesn't show up at the Honda Web Site Data Base? Apparently, since I bought it in Germany via Military Sales it has a different configuration even though it is U.S Specs!

Whatever you can offer as a suggestion to really make this vehicle run with command and power I'll appreciate it inmensely!!!

Greatest Regards,

Johann von Kessel
Old 03-05-2003, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1998 Civic DX 1.6 L Auto Trans Mods! (siberia101)

Well man. Sorry to say this, but you are VERY limited with that auto trans. I have one, but am in the process of doing an auto to manual swap.

I guess the first thing you should ask yourself, is what do you want from your car? if you are just going to go with minor bolt-ons, keep the auto, maybe get a aftermarket Torque converter. Now everyone is going to come in here telling you to go level ten, but i've heard many more horror stories than good ones from people going through http://www.levelten.com

If you are going forced induction, prepare to spend insane amounts of money on your tranny, and that wont even guarentee your tranny to take all the abuse. If i find the link of this one guy, who went through a torque converter, and 2 or 3 levelten "bullet-proof" trannies, you'll see the light really clearly!! The best way to go is to do a tranny swap, or sell your car, and get one in a manual tranny.

Oh, and dont waste your money on that "tornado" deal... please dont....I warned you...

As far as engine codes, i cant help you, i have no clue how different the european cars are from ours?

Again, decide what you want out of your car, then we can truly help you somewhat...

And welcome to H-T
Old 03-05-2003, 05:27 PM

Default Re: 1998 Civic DX 1.6 L Auto Trans Mods! (ill_take_one)

if you have the money, get a manual swap or a different car.
with the auto tranny with all the mods your still not gonna be that quick, depending on what you wanna do with the car. and if you ever put a turbo on it....well, you better have alot of $$ or you'll be screwed. but good luck.
......and welcome to H-T