Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1997 OEM Tach Spun all the way around

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1997 OEM Tach Spun all the way around

i have a 1997 Civic LX with the original stock tach. Just bought the car from a friend and the tach is spun all the way around so it aims strait down when the car is off, and it spins under the resting pin when the car is started. has anyone had this happen before? If i pull the cluster and spin the needle back around will it work correctly or would i just be waisting my time?

Sorry if this topic has been covered in the past. I searched and found no answers. im going to check the honda IN website later but thought i might be able to help some other fellow honda-tech members that might have the same problem. Only reason i could think of that would cause the needle to spin completly around would be the tach is bad, or there is a problem in the wiring harness. i don't want to waist my time pullin the cluster and moving the needle back if its just going to so it again.

thanks for the help.
Old 02-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1997 OEM Tach Spun all the way around

the tach can be spun all the way around only if the front clear peice has been removed before... Its pretty well near impossible for the tach to spin that far... You cant rev that car that high either...

Just remove the front clear peice and spin the tach back around.. should work fine.. if not, get a new cluster.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1997 OEM Tach Spun all the way around

Originally Posted by mcneil
the tach can be spun all the way around only if the front clear peice has been removed before... Its pretty well near impossible for the tach to spin that far... You cant rev that car that high either...

Just remove the front clear peice and spin the tach back around.. should work fine.. if not, get a new cluster.
because the Tach is Electronicly controled and not mechanicly controled it is possible for it to see a voltage spike and cause it to spin all the way around. I had an infinity G20 and the tach would jump around like crazy and read like 10000 rpms at times. the cluster has never been removed from the car. and i don't want to remove or replace the tach if it is an electrical problem and not the tach its self. I like to diagnose a problem before i throw parts at it. anyone with personal experiance please chime in.