Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1997 honda civic DX (6th gen right??)

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 honda civic DX (6th gen right??)

um i'm new to this forum. i like to try to learn about civic engines and body,too

my engine is D16Y7, 195323 mileages. hmm i was thinking about getting a new engine block since it had a 0 mileage. it could run about another 20 years around,right? also for the body. i want to replace the rad support frame but not sure how to get it off and put a new one on it?? (never tried welding,etc)
anyway i plan to get a new job to save money..maybe 5 grand or 6 grand. i'm still on ssi. it sux. (i'm a deaf person but love to learn about building anything,restore)... and i'm in montana. heard there's lots of event for civics. hope i can meet pps hehe.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1997 honda civic DX (6th gen right??)

and my car pixs. heres the link. http://s1211.photobucket.com/albums/...aniel_Bertsch/
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What kind of motor you looking for, stock or something with a little/a lot more power? As far as your rad support goes you can pick up some tac weld drill bits from a local hardware store, drill all the welds out on the rad support, pull it off get a new one off eBay and you can either reweld the rad support or you can just run bolts in a few spots. If you weld make sure you bolt it up first and put everything back together to make sure it's all lined up. Don't want a crooked rad support lol. It's fairly simple if you have some auto body knowledge. I did one in about 2 hours with the help of a friend.

(yes, 6th gen lol)
Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

please use an oem radiator support. aftermarket ones are garbage.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first thing u should do is trade dem wierd looking rims for steelies and get honda hub caps....just my 0.2 opinion lol
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm deaf in one ear bro so you doin what you do you earned me respect but if you ever come down to the west coast there's events here as well that are fun, well have fun with your Honda nd take care doode.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BAM! 93 hatch
What kind of motor you looking for, stock or something with a little/a lot more power? As far as your rad support goes you can pick up some tac weld drill bits from a local hardware store, drill all the welds out on the rad support, pull it off get a new one off eBay and you can either reweld the rad support or you can just run bolts in a few spots. If you weld make sure you bolt it up first and put everything back together to make sure it's all lined up. Don't want a crooked rad support lol. It's fairly simple if you have some auto body knowledge. I did one in about 2 hours with the help of a friend.

(yes, 6th gen lol)
just a d16y7 engine block. exact engine for my dx. for weld.. i haven't learned how to weld. least i will need a help of a friend without a hassle money. i have some auto body knowledge. i worked in a quality auto shop in polson,mt for one year but havent welded before. it will help me when you guys teach me as i can get a easier time to fix it.

my dx do run. lol
Old 11-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Duzercivic97
just a d16y7 engine block. exact engine for my dx. for weld.. i haven't learned how to weld. least i will need a help of a friend without a hassle money. i have some auto body knowledge. i worked in a quality auto shop in polson,mt for one year but havent welded before. it will help me when you guys teach me as i can get a easier time to fix it.

my dx do run. lol
You will need to drill out the spot welds on your current radiator support (if it's original) and a small pry bar to pry it from the seams. not hard, just time consuming.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hyperblu
You will need to drill out the spot welds on your current radiator support (if it's original) and a small pry bar to pry it from the seams. not hard, just time consuming.
yes its original since i plan to buy tools as you suggest..i'm not sure where i can do that since i get tools and order a genuine rad support, then i will try to remove it with a drill first,right?.. um what small pry bar look like? can you recommend what kind of tools you can send links so i can make a lists?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sLAg
I'm deaf in one ear bro so you doin what you do you earned me respect but if you ever come down to the west coast there's events here as well that are fun, well have fun with your Honda nd take care doode.
yay if i get my body fixed i can come to events in west coast but i'm still not sure how it work my civic dx. my new engine block will have wait for later anyway i can still drive my dx with my old engines. hmm
Old 11-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

D16y7 is not a bad motor, great on gas and it will last for ever lol. My only opinion with that motor is to atleast get a y8 IM, much better flow (plus it looks better ) well like I said you can always just bolt it in get it all lined up and down the road you can weld it. The bumper support alone won't let it move. Just take your time and make sure you get every spot/tac weld out. Plus like hyperblu said get a pry bar, honda loves to put that sound deadener/sealant stuff every where!! Lol. It's an easy project, it sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders just need a push in the right direction. Well enjoy your civic and have fun!! Pm me if you have any questions, I've been in a Honda since before I could drive lol
Old 11-09-2011, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D16y7 is not a bad motor, great on gas and it will last for ever lol. My only opinion with that motor is to atleast get a y8 IM, much better flow (plus it looks better ) well like I said you can always just bolt it in get it all lined up and down the road you can weld it. The bumper support alone won't let it move. Just take your time and make sure you get every spot/tac weld out. Plus like hyperblu said get a pry bar, honda loves to put that sound deadener/sealant stuff every where!! Lol. It's an easy project, it sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders just need a push in the right direction. Well enjoy your civic and have fun!! Pm me if you have any questions, I've been in a Honda since before I could drive lol
thank you very much!!! um how do i add you guys so i can ask a advice?

oh by the way. where can i get a spoiler for my dx.. saw some civic had a stock spoiler..it would look good on my car.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what spots and tac look like out??? can you show it to me? so i can locate. i'm watching youtube to learn how to install new support.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you very much!!! um how do i add you guys so i can ask a advice?

oh by the way. where can i get a spoiler for my dx.. saw some civic had a stock spoiler..it would look good on my car.
Your welcome, any help i can give to a fellow honda lover i will. You can find an oem spoiler for either a 99-00 Si/ex on eBay or you may even be able to find one on here or local dealer, the Si spoiler is higher and more aggressive where as the ex is a little lower, google has pics of both installed. As far as the tac welds on the rad support they look like circular indentions on both side of the rad support and the frame, even spots under the front of the fenders. There is a thread on here somewhere where some one did a step by step on a 97 dx just like yours. I'll try to locate it.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:19 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kyden
please use an oem radiator support. aftermarket ones are garbage.

<---- Found out the hard way.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your welcome, any help i can give to a fellow honda lover i will. You can find an oem spoiler for either a 99-00 Si/ex on eBay or you may even be able to find one on here or local dealer, the Si spoiler is higher and more aggressive where as the ex is a little lower, google has pics of both installed. As far as the tac welds on the rad support they look like circular indentions on both side of the rad support and the frame, even spots under the front of the fenders. There is a thread on here somewhere where some one did a step by step on a 97 dx just like yours. I'll try to locate it.
wow. there's a steps?? that would be a more easier for me to save times. i'm doing search about weld, tacs spots.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Master Detailer

Drill out spot welds. remove core support.

Put new one in, and line everything up, weld it in.

It's not that hard to do, but can be quite time comsuming.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what happen when i already put new one, welded, then what now?
Old 11-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Master Detailer

what happen when i already put new one, welded, then what now?
What do you mean?

You already installed one? If it's in, it's in.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
What do you mean?

You already installed one? If it's in, it's in.
i havent installed it because i havent got a new rad support yet. its just i want to know how it work to next step. (a paint?,etc?)
Old 11-09-2011, 08:49 PM
Master Detailer

OHH. Grind the welds down flat, prime, paint, clear if you'd like.

Then put everything back togther.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

grind it flat,prime it, paint then clearcoat it? thats the final step? oh good. i'm glad i'm learning.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Master Detailer

Basicly, you may want to throw a wet sand in there just to make sure everything looks it's best.

Take a look at the paint and body forum. And do a little looking at how people do their painting. It's simple to do a good job, but it's also simple to **** it up.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
Basicly, you may want to throw a wet sand in there just to make sure everything looks it's best.

Take a look at the paint and body forum. And do a little looking at how people do their painting. It's simple to do a good job, but it's also simple to **** it up.
thank you for the advice im looking in the paint and body forum. now i think about the paint code. it sound good enough for me to get a new experiences..hmm. i'm soo excited! i know i can do to finish my civic dx..it will take me 4 or 5 months on budgets.. oh boy it will keep me busy whole times hehe
Old 11-09-2011, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, bam and guys. is this OEM for rad support frame???? (i'm on budget)

here's the link http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sk...gs+Best+Seller is this good online store?

Quick Reply: 1997 honda civic DX (6th gen right??)