Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1997 Honda Civic Coupe Help! (Loose Bumper & Windows)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 08:47 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Honda Civic Coupe Help! (Loose Bumper & Windows)

Hello Honda-Tech,

I have recently purchased a 1997 Honda Civic EX coupe as my first vehicle. There are a couple of things I'd like to try to fix myself so I can save some $$ if possible. Any advice as to how I can fix these problems or maybe some instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

1) My front bumper seems to be loose on both side due to the little latches broken apart. Would this require a new bumper or is there a way to fix this?

2) Both of my windows do not role up correctly. I asked someone about this and they said the alignment of the windows are off. My driver side window doesn't go role up to the very top. There is about an inch of window opening and it's starting to get annoying as rain drizzles in. My passenger side window roles to the very top with the guidance of someone pushing it while rolling up. Does anybody know if this can be easily fixed or would this require professional work?

Again, any input as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:29 PM

Default Re: 1997 Honda Civic Coupe Help! (Loose Bumper & Windows)

if it was my car i would just melt the plastic back together then bolt it back up. i dont know about the windows, dont know much about them.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could try and put a washer on the underside of the bumper so the screw wont slip through the crack.

With the windows, Honda Sh*t the bed on window regulators, Its a comman problem with 6th GEN civics. Id take the door panel off, Its super easy. 5 screws?. I cant remember. Inspect the tracks and regulator. Get a can of silicone Lubricant and spray the rubber tracks that the window slides in. If the window regulator is bent then it needs to be replaced but can be masked with the silicone spray, But id replace it.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use a bigger washer for the bumper
Old 02-25-2009, 06:35 PM
New User

Originally Posted by ifIexplode
you could try and put a washer on the underside of the bumper so the screw wont slip through the crack.

With the windows, Honda Sh*t the bed on window regulators, Its a comman problem with 6th GEN civics. Id take the door panel off, Its super easy. 5 screws?. I cant remember. Inspect the tracks and regulator. Get a can of silicone Lubricant and spray the rubber tracks that the window slides in. If the window regulator is bent then it needs to be replaced but can be masked with the silicone spray, But id replace it.

Thanks. I actually tried the washer and it eventually slipped out. I'll look into that about the windows though. Do you know how much the window regulators usually cost?

Edit: I just looked in to the window regulators and they seem to be about $40 each. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:57 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by powfo
1) My front bumper seems to be loose on both side due to the little latches broken apart. Would this require a new bumper or is there a way to fix this?

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b2...civicfront.jpg
I would personally probably keep an eye open for a replacement bumper, but at least for the time being I would drill a hole through the bumper corner and zip tie it up out of the way. You could also see about bonding the crack back together, but that could cause a weak point.
Originally Posted by powfo
2) Both of my windows do not role up correctly. I asked someone about this and they said the alignment of the windows are off. My driver side window doesn't go role up to the very top. There is about an inch of window opening and it's starting to get annoying as rain drizzles in. My passenger side window roles to the very top with the guidance of someone pushing it while rolling up. Does anybody know if this can be easily fixed or would this require professional work?

Again, any input as to what I can do would be greatly appreciated.
They're right about the window.

The windows often become difficult to roll up. At the beginning spraying a little silicone spray down the tracks can fix the issue. Just roll the window down and use a straw to aim the lube down the tracks. Then roll the window up and down a few times to move the lube around. I'd do that to the passenger window at least.

Too often people just repeatedly force the windows up and down though. This causes the regulator within the door (the scissor looking metal thing) to warp. Sometimes it's not totally obvious, but I've seen some pretty bad ones.

When this happens you need to remove the inner door panel and replace the regulator. A lot of times some of the rubber seals will also have to be replaced since they run the risk of being damaged. It sounds like this is what happened to your driver window.

Replacing the regulator isn't a big deal. Sort of a pain in the *** if you're not used to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There should be a screw behind the inner door handle and in the armrest pocket. Remove those. Remove the armrest pocket. Pull the inner door handle out and you should be able to see where it attaches to the metal rods. The plastic piece will just flip off (it's easier to get off than to get it back on).

If you have manual windows you'll need to remove it too. I believe you can use a clip remover of some sort. There should be a little metal clip around the base of the handle. It needs to be removed in order to allow you to pull the handle off the car.

Then there will be clips holding the plastic panel on. You should be able to put your fingers under the bottom of the panel. Pull the entire panel off.

Now there will be a plastic sheet covering the door. Carefully remove it. Try not to tear it. This is a moisture barrier. Removing it can cause your windows to fog up. If it tears you can just tape it back up later.

Now you should be able to see the inner parts of the door. Plug the power window switch back in or put the window handle back on. Roll the window up and down until you can see the big bolts at the bottom of the glass that attaches the glass to the regulator. Unplug the switch / remove the handle.

Have someone help you so they can hold the glass while you unbolt it from the regulator. Then have them set the glass aside.

There should be some more bolts holding the regulator into the car. Remove those and pull the regulator assembly through the largest hole on the bottom of the door.

Replacement is the opposite.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I got everything covered there. I've done this a few times, but this is just from memory.

You can find regulators online through eBay. You might also find a part out in the Honda-Tech MarketPlace. If you're lucky you can find a good one through a local junkyard. Use www.car-part.com to find a regulator near you.

Btw, the manual regulators are different from the power regulators. The coupe/hatch ones are the same. The sedan ones are different from those though. Hatches are only manual unless swapped.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:58 PM
New User

NOFX- Thanks. Someone also recommended me the 2000 Honda Civic manual booklet which has instructions to replace the regulators. I'll be using that and your instructions as reference this weekend.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:46 PM
New User

powfo, if you've already replaced your regulators, I also found that I had to replace the window channel in my Civic too. If you haven't replaced your regulators yet, DON'T buy from a Honda dealership, you'll pay through the nose. I was able to get a good deal on the regulator arm and motor. I would recommend replacing both as the motor is probably almost burned out anyway from trying so hard to roll up the window.

I finally just got tired of squirting silicone and white grease down my window channel and replaced the window channel. I only paid $10 for each and that was last November.