Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

pulling back sensation when off throttle in gear.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulling back sensation when off throttle in gear.

ok heres the deal, sometime when i am going at a slow pace on 2nd say at 2000 rpm . and when i let of f the throttle the whole care seems to jerk and have this feeling as the car is slowing down itself a lot , compared to when i put it in neutral and slow down it slows down smoothly. is this like a tranny issue? sorry my description probably didnt make much sense but w/e im tired from work and ill give it a try lol.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:27 PM

Default Re: pulling back sensation when off throttle in gear. (shadohconspiracy)

i have the same prob its annoying, wish i knew how to cure that . i member reading about might being the knock sensor?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:36 PM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What you two are describing is ....

NORMAL.

It's how a manual transmission works. It's the transmission working against the engine causing it to equalize the RPM's. Try easing out the clutch instead of just dumping the throttle and clutch out.

Long story short -- learn to drive stick.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What you're describing is engine braking...it's normal. That's why people recommend downshifting along with some light handbrake use if you lose your brakes on the highway.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What you two are describing is ....

NORMAL.

It's how a manual transmission works. It's the transmission working against the engine causing it to equalize the RPM's. Try easing out the clutch instead of just dumping the throttle and clutch out.

Long story short -- learn to drive stick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unless the OP is describing the problem in completely the wrong way, what Eran said is the first thing that came to mind.

-Shane
Old 09-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: (Eran)

well i know what you mean but for me it dosnet matter what gear im in, dosnet mater the rpm, if im crusing without the clutch "in", and i let go of the gas, the car wobbles, hesitates, slightly jerks, just at first .... i would like it if it was smooth like if your driving an automatic and you let go of the gas say your going 45mph... the car is still so smooth slowing down. i duno if you hear what im saying but oh well maybe its a old honda thing
Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Engine braking. Letting the clutch out too fast does make it jerk pretty hard, but you're describing engine braking...although you do make it sound like your car is about to pull itself off the road with just engine braking.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (nemesiskrp)

Check your engine mounts.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check your engine mounts.</TD></TR></TABLE>
i second this notion^^^^
i had a da that had a bad rear mount and the motor would jerk around alot. but what u are describing is normal but i would check the rear engine mount. check to see if the bushings on all of them are ok too.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

well i had 3 hondas that did it, 89 teggy, 89 crx, now a 92 hatch, buttt
when i had a v6 mustang old style it didnt do it...so that kinda bugged me
Old 09-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, my Dodge Neon SRT-4 does the same thing, and my Jeep Cherokee used to do it as well...but I do say that checking the motor mounts is a good idea, because he seems to be having some serious shaking issues if it's as bad as it appears.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Re: (Annihilator)

so its 100% not the knock sensor??? just making sure i honestly dont know what it does but i just heard that 5 years ago
Old 09-10-2007, 09:56 PM

the only thing is that u r describing something that happens in fwd cars which is why all of ur previous hondas have done it. and ur v6 mustang is mounted completly different than an inline four fwd.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The knock sensor is there to detect if the motor is knocking, generally from having too much timing advance or too much boost/ too low of an octane of gas. If the knock sensor went bad, I guess the timing advance would be way low, but I don't think that would cause the car to buck like crazy during decel.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:58 PM

I threw a knock sensor code and nothing like this happened to me.

-Shane
Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 PM

Default Re: (nighttrain33)

thats true that the v6 stang is different, dude i just thought about something embarassing i was racing a f150 old style like 2000-01 from 4th gear and i was with my gf and he pulled on me i was pissed, i thought for sure i could of taking that heavy hunk of junk.. i have b16 stock type r tran omg im sorry for losing to that ***** guys
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 PM

dont worry about it. but dont be a dumb fan boy and race with other people in your car. ur smarter than that.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ Are all posts on this forum as random as this?

edit - this was referring to the f-150 post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats true that the v6 stang is different, dude i just thought about something embarassing i was racing a f150 old style like 2000-01 from 4th gear and i was with my gf and he pulled on me i was pissed, i thought for sure i could of taking that heavy hunk of junk.. i have b16 stock type r tran omg im sorry for losing to that ***** guys </TD></TR></TABLE>

For one thing, fourth gear sucks. Second, there is something wrong with your motor if you lost to a stock F-150 in fourth gear. Unless you were going 30 mph. And this has nothing to do with his question either.

-Shane
Old 09-10-2007, 10:08 PM

sorry i just felt like talking, but naw i wasnt like autox racing this guy i was just going like from 50 to 80 4th gear pull with vtec crack and this pos ford pulled on me i should of down shifted to 3rd at least my gf actually egged me on heeh
Old 09-10-2007, 10:09 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nemesiskrp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sorry i just felt like talking, but naw i wasnt like autox racing this guy i was just going like from 50 to 80 4th gear pull with vtec crack and this pos ford pulled on me i should of down shifted to 3rd at least my gf actually egged me on heeh </TD></TR></TABLE>

you should have been in 2nd.

-Shane
Old 09-10-2007, 10:18 PM

Default Re: (nighttrain33)

well i was already in 4th when he drove up, plus he was on my azz for like 30 seconds then he went around me.... but your right i was like at 3000-3500 i believe when i floored it, i kinda wanted to see if he cud even keep up but he did and started to pull but right when i shifted to 5th their was a red light but i knew once i was in 5th it would of been over my 5th pullllls with my type r tran.. but dude im thinkin turbo 8 psi and im good for my dd... hellz ya i need a lil boost to keep up with my bros soon to come evo 8
Old 09-11-2007, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well heres why i think it could be an issue...

my first car was a AE86 Corolla GT-S (RWD) , and it did almost the exact same thing as my honda right now. my second car was also a AE86 but it felt much smoother then that. so are you guys say the engine mounts are loose and just needs to be tightened?
Old 09-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hell, in my b18civic, if i shift to third and don't hit the gas the car does a good job of decelerating, it's just how the tranny is geared.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What you two are describing is ....

NORMAL.

Long story short -- learn to drive stick.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah.

100% normal - get used to it, on an automatic when you release the gas a clutch pack engages so you don't feel it.

Learn to feather the clutch.

Quick Reply: pulling back sensation when off throttle in gear.