Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1997 civic lx d16y7

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 civic lx d16y7

Okay so when I first bought my car the bro said he fixed the head gasket. Than over the first few months I had to flush the heater core, replace all hoses and the radiator and thermostat. Past 3 months have had no issues cars running great except maybe once every couple weeks on a really hot day or driving up a hill the engine will over heat. I usually shut it off for a minute or flip the heat on and it's fine after that. Today I was driving down a canyon and engine braking a lot when all of a sudden my gage went fully hot. I turned the heat on and it blew cold air so i pulled over. Than 5 mins later I started it cuz I had to get home and turned the heat on. It blew hot air and engine did not overheat the whole hour drive home. Wtf could this problem be?I'm not hearing my fan kick on too often, but it's a new mishimoto fan could it be the fan switch? The thermostat? The heater control valve? Or water pump or head gasket? Car is full of coolant, no leaks. I'm sick of these overheating problems. Any advice would be much appreciated and sorry for the long post. Thanks.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: 1997 civic lx d16y7

Start by thoroughly bleeding the cooling system with the heater lever moved to the max heat position.