Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1996 civic HX exhaust header cracked. best replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 civic HX exhaust header cracked. best replacement?

I'm looking at a 96 HX with a cracked exhaust manifold. The current owner has already procured (though not yet installed) an exhaust header of some sort. I'm usually in favor of installing OEM equipment in situations like this, but from what I have read, this is a common problem with these cars, so I'm wondering if OEM replacement is actually the best?

This has the cat directly attached to the exhaust header. What is my best option for this part? OEM, aftermarket, exhaust from different vehicle?
Old 01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 1996 civic HX exhaust header cracked. best replacement?

These are the one piece cat/header units? OEM. And if you're in California it has to be a certain TYPE/MODEL.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
These are the one piece cat/header units? OEM. And if you're in California it has to be a certain TYPE/MODEL.
Yes, it is the one piece. Did honda ever do anything to address why this was happening (seems a common problem), or is it just one of those install another and say a little prayer kind of deals? Fortunately (from a hassle standpoint) I am not living in california, and probably won't ever be.

so advanced auto parts has a bunch of these that they list as "oem". I have usually bought most of my honda parts from majestic honda's online shop, as they have usually had the best prices and quick shipping. here are some of the options i've found, if anyone can say that one of these is better or worse than the others, I'd appreciate the shared info:

there are two or there products from Dorman, but the only ratings on advanced auto's website say avoid like the plague.

more expensive stainless models from bosal made from stainless tubing and one from cast (stainless??) welded to a stainless cat.

Cast iron model from Walker ,

and then there is of course, the regular honda part from majestic honda which costs about $500 also.
Old 01-25-2013, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

google found me these:

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustMani...FQSqnQodGFoAUQ

they claim that they redesigned the exhaust manifold to fix the cracking problem that others had. does anyone have any experience with this model, or any others that are not crack prone?