Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1996 Civic Dx Coupe Rear Deck Speaker Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Civic Dx Coupe Rear Deck Speaker Install

I know that the most common way (ALSO TIME CONSUMING) is to remove back seat, side panels, & rear deck. I have heard of ppl breaking the plastic achors and screws and trying to pop off the rear cover (some people break em in the procces too), has anyone out there ever tried to cut out the magnet off a speaker then tear off the remaining paper cone. And after all that from the inside try to pop off the covers to unscrew the anchors and drop in new speakers. I only ask because i have previously removed the rear deck on a diffrent civic i had and upon reassembly I could never get the rear deck cover to sitt correctly with the rear plastic white clips and it drove me crazy.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Civic Dx Coupe Rear Deck Speaker Install

That's a hack job. Do it the proper way. By the time you spend doing the hack job you would've taken the deck off and install new speakers. Nothing broken. Cleaner look. No ratlle because you broke the plastic clip on the cover..
Old 01-25-2017, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I just got done replacing the rear speakers in my 96. And yes many clips have broken over the years. I wouldn't go with the hack job of trying to pull the speakers out from underneath. You could damage the rear metal deck. But you could take it all apart and modify the rear plastic deck lid's speaker pods. That way you could gain access to the speaker locations without taking it all apart next time. That is something I'd love to do, but keep the stock plastic so you're not advertising in the rear window glass to thieves! The best time I've achieved taking the rear apart for the speakers is about 45 minutes.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

Maybe I just got lucky, or its because I did them in the summer after the car was sitting all day, but I never broke any clips or had to take anything out. I was able to just fold down the back seats, disconnect the rear brake light, pop up the trim ring around the key lock, and then wiggle the panel free.
Old 01-27-2017, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
Maybe I just got lucky, or its because I did them in the summer after the car was sitting all day, but I never broke any clips or had to take anything out. I was able to just fold down the back seats, disconnect the rear brake light, pop up the trim ring around the key lock, and then wiggle the panel free.
wow you were lucky then, because the rear side panels lock into the rear deck lid around where the rear seat belts retract up into the deck lid. Can't even get the rear deck lid off without removing those first. Even with wiggling, unless I broke off those clip ends of the rear plastic sides. And of course have to take the rear seat cusion and rear backs out because those are stopping the rear side panels from coming out.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THBKiOv1wBs&sns=em
i watched that before I did my speakers didn't have to remove cushion. No broken clip.
Old 01-28-2017, 06:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic402lx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THBKiOv1wBs&sns=em
i watched that before I did my speakers didn't have to remove cushion. No broken clip.
yes and if you notice the OP's title it says COUPE not sedan. The sedan is what you are showing in the youtube video, not the coupe. Different rear deck lid.

Deck lid for 96 Sedan 84500-S04-A00ZB / TRAY ASSY., RR. *NH178L* (EXCEL CHARCOAL)
Deck lid for 96 Coupe 84503-S02-A00ZA / TRAY, RR. *NH178L* (EXCEL CHARCOAL)

so yup, different deck lids, different assemblies.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry, my bad. Trying to help.
good luck to the OP then. He can do what is best for him. If he want to hack it up, he can.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by civic402lx
That's a hack job. Do it the proper way. By the time you spend doing the hack job you would've taken the deck off and install new speakers. Nothing broken. Cleaner look. No ratlle because you broke the plastic clip on the cover..
Not as hacky as my hack job: I drilled out access holes to speaker screws through the top of the deck. Easist replacement ever..Lol.
Came in handy when the rears blew 6 months later.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oneheadlight
That way you could gain access to the speaker locations without taking it all apart next time
Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
Easist replacement ever..Lol.
Came in handy when the rears blew 6 months later.
Why not just buy quality speakers and learn how adjust settings so they don't clip/distort and blow.
OP do it right with quality products and they should last the time you have the car, it should be a 1 and done unless you end up wanting to upgrade because you decide to go all out with the audio down the road.
Old 01-29-2017, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tylers88
Why not just buy quality speakers and learn how adjust settings so they don't clip/distort and blow.
OP do it right with quality products and they should last the time you have the car, it should be a 1 and done unless you end up wanting to upgrade because you decide to go all out with the audio down the road.
They were fine when I played bands like Fishbone, Harvey Danger, Smashing Pumpkins and sevral others. However when my son was borrowing the car he returned it with blown speakers. Probably, playing that rap music you youngins like these days...lol. ****..what am I saying.,,my gen had real rap..you young turd mellinnials have Drake..lol
Old 01-29-2017, 07:37 AM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimi Hondrix
They were fine when I played bands like Fishbone, Harvey Danger, Smashing Pumpkins and sevral others. However when my son was borrowing the car he returned it with blown speakers. Probably, playing that rap music you youngins like these days...lol. ****..what am I saying.,,my gen had real rap..you young turd mellinnials have Drake..lol
Hey lets be honest here. If it won't clip with your rock bands at full volume then it won't clip with your son's hip hop bands at full blast. There is just as much bass in most rock and metal music as there is in hip hop.

Your son messed with the settings and amped the bass up more to where it did clip and blow your speakers.

I highly doubt it was the genre change as much as settings changed when your son borrowed the car.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:39 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

it takes 30 minutes start to finish to replace rear speakers. Stop being lazy