Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1996 Civic Coupe EX Window issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 07:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Civic Coupe EX Window issues

Hey guys, Im not too tech savvy and have no idea how to do proper research on my problems here, so I apologize beforehand if this issue was brought up more than once...

I just bought a 1996 Honda Civic EX coupe 1.6l VTEC with 136k and have a couple issues...

WINDOWS
The switches from the driver control switches dont function, but the "OFF" tab works fine. The Passenger window will go down, but not up. A buddy and I attempted to take a look and we took off the door panels. Here is what we have so far... The passenger motor looks to be tired and will only move "up" so very little when the motor is cooled or not at all, that is when we are operating the passenger door switch. The drivers window doesnt do anything, no noise from the motor, its not heating up, nothing, and again, the switches on the drivers door dont do anything.

I have replaced the two 20amp "P/W DD" and "P/W AS" fuses under the dash (they were both blown) and the main block fuse under the hood.

Only thing I can think of is that the motor on passenger side is tired and could be replaced. As for the drivers side, is there a relay somewhere or could it be possible a wire was pinched somewhere that wouldnt allow the switch to work correctly? Even if that were true, then the "OFF" switch wouldnt work the way its supposed to, Im guessing...

MIRROR CONTROL
The control unit on my dash left of the wheel doesnt work or move the mirrors around like they're supposed to. Couldnt find a fuse or a proper look-over procedure for this... Any suggestion or advice here?

OBD CODE THROWN
I have a P0141 O2 Heater Circuit code thrown, and there is a check engine light on my dash. I have replaced the O2 sensor on the exhaust manifold, but cant seem to find a secondary. Any help there?

All answers or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 09-23-2013, 09:18 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1996 Civic Coupe EX Window issues

For the windows, you're going to need a test light. See if there's power going into your driver's side window switch as well as power coming out of it when you press the button. If you have power going in, but not out, then suspect a faulty switch. If there's power going into the switch and power to the wire that attaches to your motor when the switch is pressed; suspect a bad motor. If there's no power to the switch, you need to follow the power wire to it's source (I've seen a few where the wires between the door and chassis are broken). I'm not going into further detail because I think it's a bad switch. The master switch contains more than one switch inside of it, so keep this in mind because some functions (passenger window, Lock On/OFF) could work while others do not, even though the switch is bad.

Mirrors - Pull the switch out and test power going in and out of it. These units don't go bad often, I very rarely replace a power mirror switches on Hondas, but I've pulled dozens of them out to test for power.

O2 Heater Bank 1, Sensor 2 - You changed the wrong sensor. The one you need is on the bottom of the car just below the floor where your feet sit. If you look underneath your intake manifold from the top, you may catch a glimpse of it poking straight up, but if not then you'll have to get underneath the car to see it.
Old 09-29-2013, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: The window and mirror issues are fixed. The main plug coming into the drivers door was so horribly corroded that when I simply unplugged the unit, the entire plug just separated. See picture below... Found a donor car not too far from me and bought an entire new plug and spliced the wires together, greased the fittings, and plugged it in. Windows and mirrors work perfectly as if nothing ever happened.

As for the codes thrown, I ended up taking the car to a shop to have it looked at. The car apparently didnt have a catalytic converter on, and the secondary O2 sensor wiring was tucked away in the subframe.... Didnt want to deal with the hassle of chasing after the guy with a legal issue of non-disclosure of illegal exhaust modification (Because I didnt have a cat, I couldnt get the emissions waived, thus not being able to get the car in my name, etc...) So I just bought a cheapo cat with a rear O2 sensor bung and had the shop weld on the fittings so its bolted on the exhaust. Didnt pass emissions due to knock sensor and evap code going off, but got the emissions waived and title transferred to my name. Legally the car is road-legal and titled...

Glad to have this mess out of the way...
Old 10-13-2013, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had the same issue on my 96 civic sedan I switched everything including the window wiring harness from both the front doors come to find out the plug on the doors was so shot it was like someone just bit into it. After searching I found a car rewired everything now everything is working like the first day it came out the lot.