Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1996-2000 Canadian Civic Questions

Old 03-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996-2000 Canadian Civic Questions

Hi Honda-Tech. I'm looking into purchasing a 1996-1998 (I don't like the facelift) manual hatchback. I have a very specific list of what I'm looking for and have a few questions. Please understand that though the Canadian market was similar to the US models, they have quite a few differences. So, please do not post any replies based on US model knowledge.

-Which 1996-1998 manual transmission hatchback models got or had the option to have ABS? If any.

-How do I check for ABS?

-Which 1996-1998 manual transmission hatchback models got or had the option to have AC?

-Which 1996-1998 manual transmission hatchback models got or had the option to have power steering?

-Which 1996-1998 manual transmission hatchback models got or had the option to have tilt steering? If any.

-What are the specific differences between the Canadian 96-98 and 99-00 manual transmission hatchback standard models and options?

Thanks,

Carthik

Last edited by 94EG8; 03-25-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 1996-1998 Canadian Hatchback Questions

Hatchback: Trims available in the hatchback body style were the EJ6 (US CX and DX, Canadian CX/CX-G/DX/SE),

CX: The base trim, available as a hatchback only. Appointed very sparingly (no standard radio or power steering), it came equipped with 13-inch wheels, 4-wheel double wishbone suspension, dual airbags, tinted windows, split/folding rear seat, and seating for five people. In 1997, the CX added 14-inch wheels as standard equipment. In 2000, the CX added tilt steering as standard equipment.[1]

DX: Available as a hatchback, coupe, or sedan. It included all standard equipment from CX plus tilt steering and am/fm radio. Power steering was standard on all sedans, and on the coupes when ordered with automatic transmission. In 1997, the DX added 14-inch wheels as standard equipment

There's no specific information on the DX (on the notion that DX also refers to the Canadian DX) having Powering steering nor does it state ABS.

However you know you can identify these options right?

ABS - has a light on its console when engaged.
Power Steering has a unit in the engine bay. Look for a valve cover that states "Fill Power Steering Fluid" or something written along those lines.

Best of luck
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Canada
Canadian models were mostly similar to US models, though with different designations. Canadian Civic sedans came in LX and EX, which roughly correspond to the American DX and LX; there was no Honda-branded Canadian equivalent to the American EX sedan - the Canadian-market only Acura EL filled this spot. Canadian Civic coupes came in DX, Si, and SiR, the equivalent of the DX, EX, and Si in the United States. Only the EX sedan, Si coupe and SiR coupe had power locks and power windows, the Si and SiR coupes were the only Canadian Civic models with a power moonroof. All sedans and coupes had a group option package available that added air conditioning and anti-lock brakes. The hatchbacks, available only in CX and DX trims, were sold as economy cars; as in the US, they had none of the amenities of other models in the Civic lineup, not even as options. All sedans, coupes, and the hatchback DX had two front airbags; while the CX hatchback had the driver's side airbag only.
Canadian SiR and Si models included ABS brakes and heated mirrors which were not included on US Si models. The Canadian SiR also was available in New Vogue Silver Metallic, which was not available for the USA's comparable Si model.
The Civic DX Special Edition (SE) hatchback was a special trim released for the year 2000 only. The car was similar to the Canadian DX hatchback, but came with additional standard parts including mesh 14-inch wheels (similar in design to the more common third generation Integra mesh wheels), body-coloured side mirrors and side mouldings, a mid-wing and a Special badge on the rear of the hatch.
Long story short, the 96-98 Canadian hatch did not have ABS as an option, period. You could theoretically retrofit the ABS from a sedan or coupe, but I'm assuming that isn't what you want to do.

Tell me if anything I'm saying is wrong. You want ABS, tilt, power steering, and A/C.

Trim levels (USDM equivalents), low to high:
CX - Power nothing. Out.
DX - Tilt, Power steering only with automatic. Out.
LX - Sedan only. Out.
EX - Coupe or sedan. Out.
HX - Coupe only. Out.
GX - Sedan only. Out.
VP - 99+ only. Out.
SI - 99+ only. Out.

Basically, there are no factory option cars that fit what you want. If you're willing to do an ABS retrofit, that might open your options, but it would be a hell of a lot of work.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In Canada, the 96-98 hatch did not get ABS as other have mentioned

Both A/C (dealer installed) and P/S were options from what i know of
Old 03-21-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the replies so far. A few more questions:

-Did any manual 99-00 hatchbacks have/option of ABS?

-Did any manual 96-98 coupes have/option of ABS?

-Did any manual 99-00 coupes have/option of ABS?

Thanks,

Carthik
Old 03-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carthik
Thanks for all the replies so far. A few more questions:

-Did any manual 99-00 hatchbacks have/option of ABS? no

-Did any manual 96-98 coupes have/option of ABS? no

-Did any manual 99-00 coupes have/option of ABS? SiR/Si did

Thanks,

Carthik
You know it took me 2 minutes to find the information answering your questions before. These questions are found in the same places I posted.

Have a search. JBP even posted the answers to these questions
Old 03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Ok peeps, get ready for some mad tight info Pulled this straight from a hard copy of the Canadian '96 Civic sales brochure (came from Hunt Honda in Ontario if anyone wants to know)

Name:  Page16.jpg
Views: 4136
Size:  121.7 KB
Old 03-24-2012, 09:17 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Please explain to all present in this thread why you desire ABS? Just to state for the record: ABS does NOT allow you to stop quicker in emergencies - its sole purpose is to allow you to steer whilst braking.

There is some incorrect information above. Get ready to have your mind blown with information. (Even more than the above post.) These answers are provided by looking at the CANADIAN HONDA CIVIC BROCHURES for the 1996-1998 model years in question.

So, in answer to your questions above:

-Which 1996-1998 manual transmission hatchback models got or had the option to have ABS? If any. NONE

-How do I check for ABS? THERE WILL BE AN ADDITIONAL ABS FUSE BOX UNDER THE HOOD (easiest)

-Which 1996-1998 manual transmission hatchback models got or had the option to have AC? 97 & 98 they were *options*. Not even an option for 96, for whatever reason - according to the sales brochure.

-Which 1996-1998 manual transmission hatchback models got or had the option to have power steering? For MT, ONLY the 1998 DX. Note that there IS NO CDM DX MODEL for 96-97, only the CX, and a CX with an option package (sometimes known as a CX-G), but these CX-G MT vehicles came with manual racks; only AT CX-G vehicles had P/S.

-Which 1996-1998 manual transmission hatchback models got or had the option to have tilt steering? If any. ALL 97-98.

-What are the specific differences between the Canadian 96-98 and 99-00 manual transmission hatchback standard models and options? Question does not have a simple answer. Interior? Exterior? Trim differences? Colour combo differences? What about the 2000 DX SE, it had a lot of isht that was different! You'll have to do your own research for this.

-Did any manual 99-00 hatchbacks have/option of ABS? NONE

-Did any manual 96-98 coupes have/option of ABS? YES, ALL HAD OPTION

-Did any manual 99-00 coupes have/option of ABS? YES, SiR HAD STANDARD, REST HAD OPTION

Based on this information, and my assessment that ABS is a pretty much useless safety feature (spend some money on a defensive driving course if you're worried not having ABS is going to lead to your imminent death), your best bet will be a 1998 Civic DX. They came in red, silver, dk purple (my fave), and black. All had a dark grey interior. Good luck with your search.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for all the very informative replies. No ABS is a deal breaker for me, so I have decided to stick to a coupe. I am not going to explain why, I am sure there are many ABS vs no ABS threads, if you want to participate in that argument please go find one of those threads.

So all coupes had the option to get ABS, that's news to me. Where in the bay is the ABS fuse box? Is it clearly labelled?

Here is my perfect checklist, though I don't think it's even possible to find a car with all these features together:

-99-00 (Decided I don't want to bother installing a dash, I need the double din)
-Coupe
-Manual Transmission
-ABS
-AC
-Power Steering
-Tilt Steering
-Power Windows
-Power locks
-Power Mirrors (was this even available? Doesn't really matter because I want to eventually use non CDM/USDM mirrors, but would be nice to have initially)
-Cruise Control
-No Sunroof

It seems if I want power windows and locks I need an Si or SiR which had a sunroof. But then I came across a few 2000 SE Coupes which didn't have sunroofs but had some power options, can someone elaborate on these?

**Can a mod change the thread title to "1996-2000 Canadian Civic Questions" to aid right now and in the future if someone searches up this thread.**

Thanks,

Carthik
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Ok peeps, get ready for some mad tight info Pulled this straight from a hard copy of the Canadian '96 Civic sales brochure (came from Hunt Honda in Ontario if anyone wants to know)

mad tight info Yo
Old 03-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doctorake
mad tight info Yo
Mad tight indeed, however that is for the '96 model year. I am not sure if '99 and '00 are the same. Plus, that doesn't cover the 2000 SE Coupe model.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
Please explain to all present in this thread why you desire ABS? Just to state for the record: ABS does NOT allow you to stop quicker in emergencies - its sole purpose is to allow you to steer whilst braking.
I believe this^ statement to be untrue. ABS prevents the wheels from ever locking up and skidding during braking. This DOES shorten stopping distances in emergency braking situations.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Thanks for all the very informative replies. No ABS is a deal breaker for me, so I have decided to stick to a coupe.
This is a good decision. I myself made the switch 2 1/2 years ago. I sold my 96 hatch which i liked very much, only because it was starting to rust in the rear wheel wells as most do.

For what ever reason, the "coupe" is a much better design in that area, and far less likely to rust there. I picked up a 2000 coupe with not some much as a bubble, and since then have noticed how many more are in better condition than hatches
Old 03-25-2012, 09:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

We all know deschlong's statement is untrue but can we stay on topic here, this isn't an ABS discussion thread.

And Ron, while your here can you please change my thread title to "1996-2000 Canadian Civic Questions".

Thanks,

Carthik
Old 03-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Seagull Management

Thanks for all the very informative replies. No ABS is a deal breaker for me, so I have decided to stick to a coupe. I am not going to explain why, I am sure there are many ABS vs no ABS threads, if you want to participate in that argument please go find one of those threads.
All I'm going to say on the matter is ABS actually lengthens stopping in distances in some cases because it wont allow the wheels to lock. It will let you steer while braking though. Just be aware that at this point in that cars life you will probably find several ABS equipped coupes that no longer have functional ABS.

So all coupes had the option to get ABS, that's news to me. Where in the bay is the ABS fuse box? Is it clearly labelled?
Driver's side IIRC. The ABS system uses a bunch of orange connectors, it's pretty hard to miss.

Here is my perfect checklist, though I don't think it's even possible to find a car with all these features together:
It's not.

It seems if I want power windows and locks I need an Si or SiR which had a sunroof. But then I came across a few 2000 SE Coupes which didn't have sunroofs but had some power options, can someone elaborate on these?
I just check on the SEs No power options showed up (I know the '94 - '95 DX SE coupes had power mirrors but the '99 - '00 SEs don't show them, same for power windows and locks)

The Si and SiR both got power mirrors (the SiR mirrors are also heated)

Why don't you want a sunroof? If you're worried about it leaking, they don't, seriously. They aren't like an aftermarket unit. If it's because of the weight I really can't help you there.

**Can a mod change the thread title to "1996-2000 Canadian Civic Questions" to aid right now and in the future if someone searches up this thread.**
Thread title edited.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I believe this^ statement to be untrue. ABS prevents the wheels from ever locking up and skidding during braking. This DOES shorten stopping distances in emergency braking situations.
It's not untrue. Not allowing wheels to lock on ice does not shorten braking distances, trust me, I drive in snowy/icey conditions for 6 months of the year.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So SE models are out of the question, that's unfortunate . I was hoping I can get no sunroof.

So my only options are an Si or SiR and I have to deal with having a sunroof. Reason I dislike sunroofs is just personal preference, I find it kills the flow (aesthetics) of any car. Thanks for editing the title.

Originally Posted by 94EG8
It's not untrue.
Technically, the statement was untrue. deschlong stated: "ABS does NOT allow you to stop quicker in emergencies", not specifying any certain circumstances meaning in every emergency circumstance ABS will not aid in stopping distance.

I know where your coming from though, I live in Ontario, ABS can quite often make things worse and get in the way. I find every ABS system is different, some better some not so great, and newer isn't necessarily better. For example the ABS in my E30s are better than the ABS in my E46. I have yet to test out the ABS in '96-00' civics. I had a '96-'98 DX Coupe for a very short period of time but I don't think it had ABS.

I don't believe in dropping the premium SiRs are currently getting so I'll be picking up an Si it looks like. I removed no sunroof from the list, I should be able to find this correct?:

-99-00
-Coupe
-Manual Transmission
-ABS
-AC
-Power Steering
-Tilt Steering
-Power Windows
-Power locks
-Power Mirrors
-Cruise Control

I know the '96 brochure says so, but I'm not sure if ''99-'00 is the same.

Carthik
Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1996-2000 Canadian Civic Questions

Can someone confirm if the Canadian DX hatchback was only offered starting in '98? I'm trying to find one for a friend and knowing if this is accurate would make the search a lot easier.

Carthik
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 PM
Seagull Management

-99-00
-Coupe
-Manual Transmission
-ABS
-AC
-Power Steering
-Tilt Steering
-Power Windows
-Power locks
-Power Mirrors
-Cruise Control
That list is very doable.

Can someone confirm if the Canadian DX hatchback was only offered starting in '98? I'm trying to find one for a friend and knowing if this is accurate would make the search a lot easier.
That is correct. Although the CX-G (CX with option package in '96 - '97) is basically the same thing.

If you want to check canadian trim levels this is a good way to do so: http://www.canadianhondaparts.com/OrderParts.aspx
Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM
I like to party

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you want a canadian SIR from your "list". They came standard with all the options you desire.

Good choice.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
Sounds like you want a canadian SIR from your "list". They came standard with all the options you desire.
depending on what the OP's desires are, and EM1 can be a good choice, price dependant of coarse

By going with an SiR, you gain a number of options...

- b series engine/trans
- sport suspension springs/stuts (about 20% stiffer than stock)
- front and rear sway bars
- front chin spoiler
- leather wrapped steerign wheel
- 15" mag wheels
- painted moldings
- unique instrument cluster
Old 03-26-2012, 03:02 PM
I like to party

Originally Posted by Deetz
depending on what the OP's desires are, and EM1 can be a good choice, price dependant of coarse

By going with an SiR, you gain a number of options...

- b series engine/trans
- sport suspension springs/stuts (about 20% stiffer than stock)
- front and rear sway bars
- front chin spoiler
- leather wrapped steerign wheel
- 15" mag wheels
- painted moldings
- unique instrument cluster

I've actually owned all 3 colors of USA EM1s.... I've been eyeing those purty VSMs you guys get lately to round out my collection.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:04 PM
Crazy Honda Guy

Originally Posted by 2LEM1
I've actually owned all 3 colors of USA EM1s.... I've been eyeing those purty VSMs you guys get lately to round out my collection.
ha ha, that's exactly what i have, not selling mine though

The Canadian model did get abs btw, the US version did not
Old 03-26-2012, 05:11 PM
I like to party

Originally Posted by Deetz
ha ha, that's exactly what i have, not selling mine though

The Canadian model did get abs btw, the US version did not
And heated mirrors!!!
Old 04-17-2017, 07:51 PM
Trial User

Mad tight indeed, however that is for the '96 model year. I am not sure if '99 and '00 are the same. Plus, that doesn't cover the 2000 SE Coupe model.
I own a 2000 SE coupe it has power locks, alarm, key lock, abs, tilt adjustment for the steering wheel and i think thats it for features that arn't "normally" there but its all completely stock. No sunroof on mine and it still has roll-up windows as well but its a sweet car its hard to find any real info on them tho cuz it was only made for that year...i tried googling it when i first bought it and somehow it thought i was trying to look up an si lmao

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1996-2000 Canadian Civic Questions