Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1995 Honda Civic Stereo Wiring Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 11:07 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Honda Civic Stereo Wiring Issue

I am having issues with my front left speaker. I am running an Aiwa amplifier to the stock speakers, and recently the left front speaker cut out. Now the sound only comes out of that speaker intermittently. I seems like it must be a wiring issue, since sound still comes out of the speaker every once in a while. I checked the wiring to the receiver and it all seems to be hooked up correctly and securely. How would I be able to check the wiring between the amp and speaker? Would it be easiest to just run new wires? How would I do that?

Also, I live in the LA area. Does anyone know of a place that would be able to do this for me cheaply?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Honda Civic Stereo Wiring Issue

If you have a multimeter you could check the resistance between the speaker and the amp. Generally if something is intermittant like that it's a short in the wire.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Honda Civic Stereo Wiring Issue

I was baffled recently with an intermittent rear passenger and front passenger speaker problem on my 93 DX. I checked all the speakers' resistances (all sat); checked for grounds; checked for continuity; replaced the front set of speakers. I finally partly removed the radio from its frame and noticed that jiggling the radio consistently repeated the problem. I then narrowed it to jiggling a single wire going into the radio. Those dozen or so wires going into the radio are all of course multi-strand wire, so the one wire overall was passing the various continuity tests. It was just that a few of the one wire's strands were not well engaged in the connector, so if I held the wire one way, no speaker sound; another, and the speaker sound returned. I imagine the strands got pulled out from wear-and-tear over the years, like jerking the male and female connector ends apart or maybe cramming a bunch of aftermarket stereo wiring in the space behind the radio, putting stress on the wire ends. I replaced the end of the one wire going into the radio connector, and the problem is now fixed.

Properly releasing the wires from these connectors is one huge chore. I practiced at a junkyard until I had a decent idea of what I was doing. Get a precision screwdriver set.