Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1995 honda civic cooling problem need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 honda civic cooling problem need help!

I have 1995 honda civic ex coupe, problem is its overheating
when i drive on high rpm's or going up hill it over heats and when i leave it in neutral it goes slowly back to regular temperature and when it does overheat the coolant boils in the reservoir tank and i noticed the bottom radiator hose is cold while the top is still hot so i was thinking thats the thermostat so i changed that yesterday with a new rad.cap and as i replaced the new thermostat the old gasket was messed up and the old thermostat only had the round metal piece left so i guess the entire time its been freeflowing but as i looked inside the housing it had some weird crap inside so i was thinking it might be clocked.
so after replacing the thermostat,rad.cap it still overheats
so i was thinking my next step is to flush it with that chemical stuff to get all that crap out the system, cuz its just not circulating the bottom rad. hose stays cold.
oh and the fan works fine so i know thats not it and there is no white smoke coming out of the exhaust
Anybody have suggestions that could help me out would really appreciate it thanks.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 AM
New User

Default Re: 1995 honda civic cooling problem need help!

I had a very similar problem with my DSM. I removed
the thermostat altogether, then flushed the system. After
that I replaced thermostat again, but a lower temp one, and
added Water Wetter to the new coolant. It did solve the
problem. I'm new to Hondas and I'm not sure how car would
run without thermostat.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts

i don't think it's your cooling system, i think you've got a head gasket issue. when you run in higher rpm or under heavy load (with a bad head gasket) you can force combustion gasses into the water jacket/cooling system, overheating it. this also would explain the boiling and the garbage in the system.

now i can't confirm this is the case over the internet, but rule out the head gasket first before you replace any more parts unnessesarrily.

it may be worth it for you to have a shop confirm the condition of the head gasket. if you don't have the tools and testers for it already, you'll spend more on those than you would paying them to do it. less headache for you too. then you can do the fix yourself to save on labor and parts if you'd like.

Last edited by hondamark35; 03-12-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: poor grammar
Old 03-12-2009, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by hondamark35
i don't think it's your cooling system, i think you've got a head gasket issue. when you run in higher rpm or under heavy load (with a bad head gasket) you can force combustion gasses into the water jacket/cooling system, overheating it. this also would explain the boiling and the garbage in the system.

now i can't confirm this is the case over the internet, but rule out the head gasket first before you replace any more parts unnessesarrily.

it may be worth it for you to have a shop confirm the condition of the head gasket. if you don't have the tools and testers for it already, you'll spend more on those than you would paying them to do it. less headache for you too. then you can do the fix yourself to save on labor and parts if you'd like.
thanks for the advice, my friend told me its most likely my headgasket too
so i was thinking to change it myself but the only thing i would get stuck on is the timing belt cuz i never did change the timing belt b4 only seen it done

so im not sure what to do right now i might even sale the whole car ready as is, its pretty still in good shape all stock just the fricken headgasket