Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1995 GS-R Powertrain into 1995 DX Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1995 GS-R Powertrain into 1995 DX Coupe

I know the coupe isn't wired for VTEC. My question is if it is possible to take the ECU and engine bay wiring harness and simply transfer everything into the coupe without needing anything else?

The motor mounts will work, correct?

The GS-R is a sedan. I also want to swap the 4-wheel disc brake setup into the coupe. Am I going to run into any trouble because the GS-R is a sedan and the Civic is a coupe?
Old 02-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1995 GS-R Powertrain into 1995 DX Coupe

Originally Posted by BradleyJP
I know the coupe isn't wired for VTEC. My question is if it is possible to take the ECU and engine bay wiring harness and simply transfer everything into the coupe without needing anything else?

The motor mounts will work, correct?

The GS-R is a sedan. I also want to swap the 4-wheel disc brake setup into the coupe. Am I going to run into any trouble because the GS-R is a sedan and the Civic is a coupe?
Yeah you pretty much swap everything over, literally. You also might wanna look into getting a chipped/flashed P28.

The stock motor mounts will be fine, I ran my stock motor mounts for like a year after my first swap before I decided to change them out. The gsr engine will bolt right in with no trouble.

Even with the brakes everything is plug and play. You can actually just take out the whole suspension/brake assembly off the gsr and mount it up to yours but you might want to either run EM1 rear brake lines or go steel braided lines if anything.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: 1995 GS-R Powertrain into 1995 DX Coupe

Originally Posted by Nautical_Star
You also might wanna look into getting a chipped/flashed P28.
Why wouldn't I stick with my P72? Isn't that the only one that is programmed for the dual stage VTEC?

Originally Posted by Nautical_Star
Even with the brakes everything is plug and play. You can actually just take out the whole suspension/brake assembly off the gsr and mount it up to yours but you might want to either run EM1 rear brake lines or go steel braided lines if anything.
Is this because they are the weak point in the setup, or they simply won't work on the Civic?

I went and looked at the car one last time today. I'm getting pretty stoked. Getting ready for the first swap!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by BradleyJP
Why wouldn't I stick with my P72? Isn't that the only one that is programmed for the dual stage VTEC?

Is this because they are the weak point in the setup, or they simply won't work on the Civic?

I went and looked at the car one last time today. I'm getting pretty stoked. Getting ready for the first swap!

Still curious on the question about the ECU...
Old 05-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have input on a chipped/flashed p28 v. my stock p72? I assumed I'd need a P72 because of the dual stage VTEC with the intake runners and lobes/lifters needing to be engaged separately...