Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1995 Del Sol Si where to start??

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 02:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1995 Del Sol Si where to start??

Hey guys, i am completely oblivious when it comes to cars, but I'd like to get as much information and guidance as i can before i get myself into any holes.

Went out on a limb and snagged this 95 del sol si with 166k miles on it. wanting to EVENTUALLY push it past 500whp. now i know that doing this will require A LOT of time and money, but i need to start with the basics first.

The cars rotors are extremely bad, and ive been told i need a new front left ball joint, and possibly a new spindle if they cant get the bolt off the back left rotor. it looks like a lot has been ghettorigged on this beast, but as ive ALWAYS wanted a del sol, i feel it will be easier to ask you intelligent people what i should do/get checked out first.

should i leave the rotors for now and move onto saving up and swapping in a motor, or should i get the suspension worked on and get it out of the way?? i took it to a shop and they were gonna charge me around 11-1200$ to get the suspension fixed. Theres also a pretty decent oil leak right now(i think its coming from the turbo thats rigged onto the motor). Also the guy from the shop said my calipers need changed, although someone else said i could just flip them.

What is the first step i should take? i got this car thinking it could be a project car, but am finding myself overburdened with issues and where to start. Should i just go straight for the engine swap, which would prolly elliminate the oil leaking altogether? if so whats the best motor that i can turbo? i keep hearing people with b16 swaps, some with h22's, and people are saying k-series is overpriced and not worth it.

otherwise, should i get the suspension fixed first? and if i do the suspension, i want to get performance parts, not just parts that are gonna 'get me by'. i want this car to be better than my 05 cobalt ss (RIP).

if pics are needed i can take and post whatever i can, just let me know what i should do! thanks guys much appreciated!
Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1995 Del Sol Si where to start??

So you want a 500whp beast, but can't figure out minuscule issues? Obviously you need to fix the suspension/brakes first. That's a safety issue and should be common sense. As far as the motor swap; you need to find out how much everything is going to cost you to get your motor right and compare that to the swap. Then decide when you want the swap and are you willing to invest possibly a few hundred dollars into the motor to make it right. Unless you're boosting, don't get a B16.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thx for the quick response! havent been able to get on here recently as yesterday was my bday and i was busy. ill see if i cant find someone else to do the suspension work without it costing so much. i think actually i may already have a b16 in it. once again im not savvy when it comes to car parts, but my friend was lookin at it before and told me its definitely not the stock d motor, and that it looked like a b series. and it does have a turbo charger on it, and i wanna go turbo on it anyway, so you think if it is a b16, just stick with it and rebuild the motor?

if i am planning to invest 5-10k into this car, what would be the route to go? i know this is too vague of a topic, but major parts/sites/prices would be appreciated thx!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

This is too vague of a topic. Fix all the things needing fixing before you even think about trying to modify it any further.

Question; Where did you get the 500 horsepower number?
Question; Do you actually think you'll be able to drive that on the street?
Question; Have you ever driven a 500 hp front wheel drive car?
Question; Do you know anything about turbos or boost?
Question; How do you plan on getting to that number?
Question; Surely you don't plan on buying parts and building your car the way a bunch of strangers tell you to?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=grumblemarc;45447667]This is too vague of a topic. Fix all the things needing fixing before you even think about trying to modify it any further.

there was a del sol for sale around here with a grocery list of mods done and dyno'd at 470hp. its a high number i know. the del sol was the first car i wanted, and now that i actually got one by twist of fate, id like to hit a high number, it doesnt HAVE to be 500, just seen a lot who have reached that.

i live in iowa and laws here arent strict with cars. i went straight through on my cobalt and dished about 4k into performance on that car, and then someone decided to tbone me pretty much

no, but also with mods i will gradually get there. im not gonna go from 200hp to 500 all at once! gotta go piece by piece, and im not a retarded driver.

as far as technical facts about turbo or boost no. i know that my cobalt was supercharged, i was boosting 8lbs, after tuning and exhaust/etc, i was able to get to 12lbs. theres much research i have to do on turbo though.

this is where you guys come in. just like i did with my cobalt, i checked forums, did research on parts, compiled a list, did research on each item on the list, compare/contrast, listed it on the forums, and members gave me input on what their experiences were, what they prefer, and what alternatives were.

Question; Surely you don't plan on buying parts and building your car the way a bunch of strangers tell you to?

no, i will use it as a guidance. as i know way more about computers than cars, i would trust the forums to help me with what i would otherwise not know any clue at all with what to get or where to start.

I know this post started off very vague and nubbish, but i'd like to develop it into more specifics. Like to start out, of course if i keep this car, i will get the suspension fixed. So, for instance, instead of going out to a random shop and getting parts they order and installed and get charged a damn ton for labor..lets start with this question...

"I want to replace the calipers and rotors and apparantly the front left ball joint on my Del Sol. Instead of getting standard parts from the auto parts store, what performance/higher quality equipment can i use? (eg: ive heard slotted/drilled rotors are better for stopping). Also, while im going to be getting the suspension worked on first with this car, what other suspension modifications can be done to ensure im getting everything done?"
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
This is too vague of a topic. Fix all the things needing fixing before you even think about trying to modify it any further.

there was a del sol for sale around here with a grocery list of mods done and dyno'd at 470hp. its a high number i know. the del sol was the first car i wanted, and now that i actually got one by twist of fate, id like to hit a high number, it doesnt HAVE to be 500, just seen a lot who have reached that.

i live in iowa and laws here arent strict with cars. i went straight through on my cobalt and dished about 4k into performance on that car, and then someone decided to tbone me pretty much

no, but also with mods i will gradually get there. im not gonna go from 200hp to 500 all at once! gotta go piece by piece, and im not a retarded driver.

as far as technical facts about turbo or boost no. i know that my cobalt was supercharged, i was boosting 8lbs, after tuning and exhaust/etc, i was able to get to 12lbs. theres much research i have to do on turbo though.

this is where you guys come in. just like i did with my cobalt, i checked forums, did research on parts, compiled a list, did research on each item on the list, compare/contrast, listed it on the forums, and members gave me input on what their experiences were, what they prefer, and what alternatives were.

no, i will use it as a guidance. as i know way more about computers than cars, i would trust the forums to help me with what i would otherwise not know any clue at all with what to get or where to start.

I know this post started off very vague and nubbish, but i'd like to develop it into more specifics. Like to start out, of course if i keep this car, i will get the suspension fixed. So, for instance, instead of going out to a random shop and getting parts they order and installed and get charged a damn ton for labor..lets start with this question...

"I want to replace the calipers and rotors and apparantly the front left ball joint on my Del Sol. Instead of getting standard parts from the auto parts store, what performance/higher quality equipment can i use? (eg: ive heard slotted/drilled rotors are better for stopping). Also, while im going to be getting the suspension worked on first with this car, what other suspension modifications can be done to ensure im getting everything done?"

Old 06-13-2011, 06:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OW.

ok im not even gonna touch half of this.
your not even at 200hp. with a turbo you do go from 100 to 500 like that. after its all assembled and tuned
8psi is factory and a joke.
500hp fwd is no traction and torque steer like a mother. search for 600hp del sol and you'll see. it should be white.

lets start with this answer. SEARCH. seriously this gets asked daily.

use slotted at best drilled will crack much easier. otherwise blanks. more surface area.
bushings, shocks, LCAs RLCAS, balljoints, sway bars, strut braces, hbraces, struts, trailing arms.

in short.
shocks/struts, coilovers
ALL bushings, balljoints w/e use OEM. aftermarket is not always better.
blanks or slotted. w/e you want for pads.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post up a pic of under the hood so we can see what your working with. 500HP is possible to hit. If it is a B16 you can make 300WHP on a stock block with no real issues. If its a D series you can make 220WHP on a stock block on a good tune.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thx for the help so far guys. I have slotted rotors on fronts, backs are warped so ill return the standard rotors I got and pickup some slotted. They said back left rotor was stuck last place I took it and that I may need the spindle replaced. also, front left ball joint needs replaced, which I can just use oem ? Ill take pics of the car and engine here hopefully soon and post them. Just had a t-storm and the internets out right now.

I've seen before about shocks n struts having performance alternatives? And I don't need coilovers, as I have adjustable suspension which I'd prefer as I can lift it back up if I need to. Pics up soon guys and thx for putting up with such a broad and naïve post! Much appreciated!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 06-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats a Z6. With a turbo. It looks like a DSM turbo with a T25 or HF adapter-plate manifold. The turbo looks pretty small. Its a Ebay "Type S" BOV, and I dont even see a wastegate, so I'm figuring its internal. By the way your injectors are wired it looks like they swapped away from the stock clips so you probably have some DSM 370s or 450's. Do you know what kind of engine management its using?
Also it could do without the bodykit. But even though I'm not a big fan of wild paint, the paint is pretty cool looking.
Its def a junkyard turbo setup though. If you look at the intercooler piping its basically exhaust pipe with a bunch of couplers.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

aaand this is why i need you guys, cuz i didnt understand half of what you just said D:. best be time to start researching pretty soon. yeah i bought it the way it is right now, with original plans to end up replacing pretty much everything in it. ill leave the body how it is as idc how shitty it looks on the outside, that can wait for the last. so its definitely not a b16 then. so if i do decide to pursue this project, should i just sell off and replace it with a b16? i already wanted to get rid of the turbo for a more powerful one. that thing is pretty small. once again first though, i gotta get the suspension fixed before i start working on the engine.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Forget the engine swap. They aren't ragging on you because it's slow, they are raging because it's hideous. I would be embarrassed to ride around in that thing.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:23 AM
The Grumpiest

Ew. You went out on a limb alright. I hope you didn't pay too much for it. Fix the mechanical and bodywork issues before you even think about go-fast parts.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

get new a new front bumper and fender then fix your rust that the lazy previous owner just decided to paint over. ugh those side skirts don't even fit.

looks at how bad your last pipe to TB coupler is. that is far from normal.

got one heck of a project ahead of you.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fix the outside first. its probably still faster than most of the Honda's out there. And you can always take the turbo off and do a external wastegate instead or possibly increase the boost on the internal wastegate (depending on how it works).
Old 06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just to stick a side note in....

500 whp is probably not something worth attempting. I dunno what kind of cars you mix with on the streets, but I'm willing to bet that 400 whp is more than enough, and even that is probably way too much to expect or realistically street in a FWD car.

I have a friend in Chicago who runs an Acura Integra stripped out, probably 2000-2100 lbs. He swapped a K20A, with some mods, and is probably pushing out 250-260 whp. On a track, he is equal and sometimes superior to brand new Porsche 911 Turbos.

Here's some math, in case you're skeptical.

Standard weight of a del Sol Si = 2414 lbs (manual tranny)
Standard weight of a FERRARI 458 Italia = 3274 lbs

The Ferrari pushes out 562 hp. Streeting a Honda with only slightly less horsepower minus 800 lbs, in front wheel drive, is going to tear itself to pieces. Better to aim a little lower.
Old 06-14-2011, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Zephyr701
Just to stick a side note in....

500 whp is probably not something worth attempting. I dunno what kind of cars you mix with on the streets, but I'm willing to bet that 400 whp is more than enough, and even that is probably way too much to expect or realistically street in a FWD car.

I have a friend in Chicago who runs an Acura Integra stripped out, probably 2000-2100 lbs. He swapped a K20A, with some mods, and is probably pushing out 250-260 whp. On a track, he is equal and sometimes superior to brand new Porsche 911 Turbos.

Here's some math, in case you're skeptical.

Standard weight of a del Sol Si = 2414 lbs (manual tranny)
Standard weight of a FERRARI 458 Italia = 3274 lbs

The Ferrari pushes out 562 hp. Streeting a Honda with only slightly less horsepower minus 800 lbs, in front wheel drive, is going to tear itself to pieces. Better to aim a little lower.
I had about 350WHP in my civic. And it basically ate everything on the street. If you get the proper mounts and stuff you will be fine.
Old 06-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys sorry its been awhile had to send the lappy in to get fixed. right now im just looking to get it fixed up. i personally dont care about the outside. rather dish my $$ into the performance before looks. so where im at right now is deciding to replace the rotors, calipers, and new struts.

now from what i can tell from here and other places, its best to just have slotted rotors. now my front rotors are already slotted and i believe they are still in good condition. does it matter to have slotted rear rotors for a FWD car? also, what are preferred rotors/calipers and performance struts to get? thx!
Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 PM
The Grumpiest

Search. Please search. Make use of this great resource that is Honda-tech.

People will tell you that blanks, Brembo blanks, are best. I've run Powerslot slotted, drilled and slotted and dimpled rotors and honestly have not seen the difference. Most people get them for looks.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the main difference for brakes comes in at racing speeds and braking for heat dissipation. on the street brembo blanks or slotted are my preferred.
for shocks/struts use koni/GC. im on AGX's and working on switching over to koni yellows.
pads hawk or akebono.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:45 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by NACvicSi
I would be embarrassed to ride around in that thing.
x2 for sure
Old 06-23-2011, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Red_Army
the main difference for brakes comes in at racing speeds and braking for heat dissipation. on the street brembo blanks or slotted are my preferred.
for shocks/struts use koni/GC. im on AGX's and working on switching over to koni yellows.
pads hawk or akebono.
thx you for the advice! so ill get some new slotted front/rear rotors, and some koni struts. as for calipers, just any kind? thank you so much so far. still savin up the money, that way i can get it all done at once(also hopefully have someone private to work on it for me )

also, what would anyones guess be the difference from the Koni yellows with the Honda 92-97 Del Sol - 1150 Threaded Suspension kit?
edit:

well it doesnt seem all that bad so far. here is what im lookin at...

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/BR35507

http://www.buybrakes.com/store/BR35199

and for struts:
http://www.koni-na.com/cat_search.cf...&submit=Search

either the yellows or the threaded.. whatcha think?

also while im on suspension what else should i look at replacing?

and if i plan for an H22 motor swap, would this suspension setup suffice for the motor?

Last edited by jojomexi; 06-23-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive came a long way with this as far as planning.

Suspension has been upgraded to Eibach Pro Sportsline system(shocks/struts, front sway bar, anti-dampening, etc).

Had an issue with fitting on the ebc front/rear slotted rotors i ordered, so gonna have to exchange those before i can put on the ebc redstuffs.

Anyone know if i could just use an after market lower control arm for the rear if i am going to attach the rear sway bar? my stock control arm apparantly doesnt have anywhere we can attach the sway bar to, and so i need to replace it.

my breaking system seems pretty similar to that of the 96 civic dx... anyone know if the LCA's from any civic/integra are interchangeable with the del sol's?

also, planning a sound system for the car. wanting the ride to be enjoyable to drive around in before i continue with the rest of the performance. looking at the pioneer MVH-P8300BT for head unit, focal coax speaker kit, Alpine SWR-1243D's for subs, Hifonics HFi1000D for sub amp, MB Quart REF4.80 for speakers.

current plans for the car is to eliminate/cut/reweld the quarter panel rust, swap into a b18c by next spring, turbo kit of some sort installed by next summer, carbon fiber parts purchased and installed by the fall.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

good luck. i just bought a del sol too.

Quick Reply: 1995 Del Sol Si where to start??