Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1995 Civic EX main bearing code stamped backwards? and do the pink bearings fade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Civic EX main bearing code stamped backwards? and do the pink bearings fade?

hi honda-tech,
i'm hopefully replacing the main bearings on my D16ZA6 but the code on the block for the mains is backwards. surprisingly my searches didn't turn up anything, so any help would be very appreciated. here are pictures of the stamp on the block and the same stamp in the factory service manual:

block:
factory service manual:

if i read the letters backwards (so go the direction the manual says to go) the bearing color codes match up except for the pink one, which looks like a light brown. here is a picture of the pink one (on the right) next to a brown one (on the left):

bearings:

are the pink bearings more likely to fade over time than the other ones?

thanks a ton everyone.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:34 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Civic EX main bearing code stamped backwards? and do the pink bearings fade?

So your technical question is if the paint on the bearings fades? Those don't remotely look like they are, or could have been, the same color.

My question is; Instead of worrying about paint fade, why are you not measuring the bearings to see if they are different?
Old 07-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 1995 Civic EX main bearing code stamped backwards? and do the pink bearings fade?

yeah I want to know if the pink bearings take on the color of the oil over their 20 year lifespan, especially if its had poor maintenance. that's why it looks light brown but not as brown as a brown bearing.

i don't have the right tools for measuring bearing thickness, which according to this: http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2011...-rod-bearings/ is a micrometer with a ball anvil. i cant find my dial caliper or that could work since i don't care about damaging surface. i am definitely planning on plastigauging the new stuff though.

thanks for reply.