Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1994 Honda Civic Dx - Car almost starts but wont turn over.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Honda Civic Dx - Car almost starts but wont turn over.

This is my daughters car and I don't really work or know anything about foreign cars but I'm going to give it a stab anyways!
The problem is: For the last month my daughter has had a problem starting the car.
The frst time the problem occured when I diagnoised it if you turn the igintion switch in the cranking position with the starter engaged and it would run until you released the key then it would die.
Then I realized that when you put it in the cranking position and bring the key back just enough to disengage the starter it would stay running but yet when you released the key to the normal run position then it would die.
So silly me I just assumed it was the ignition switch. so i took it apart and sanded all the contacts and greased everything then put it back together and it worked for about a week.
Now the problem is: when you go to crank it over it almost wants to start but wont. I thought it might have been the ignition switch again so I hot wired it buy taking a jumper from the battery side of the switch to the run terminal. Thinking that would keep it running but that idea didn't work.
I pulled the plugs and they were dry and al the same tan in color. which would indicate all the cylinders were burning clean.
I checked fuel pressure again assuming that the pressure was right because when I took the bolts off of the line from the fuel filter to the fuel rail it did squirt about for or 5 inches. When I had the ignition switch in the run position. By not have a fuel pressure gage I am taking a guess that the fuel pressure would be sufficient enough. for it to stay running.
I check the ecm fuse and it indicates. I tried to find troubleshooting information on the Internet but didn't have much luck, but then again I don't really know what I am doing. Can anyone help?
Ask me anything about an old American Classic and i'm set to go!
Thanks Gary
Old 04-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: 1994 Honda Civic Dx - Car almost starts but wont turn over. (garysoldcars)

Starting problems are typically due to faults in either the fuel or ignition system.

For the fuel system, when you turn the ignition key to ON but don't crank the engine, do you hear the fuel pump in the rear make a low humming for a few seconds? If so, then the fuel pump and main relay are probably fine. You could, however, have a clogged fuel filter. If you don't have access to a fuel pressure gauge, then you might consider just replacing the fuel filter.

For the ignition system, check whether you have spark at the plugs by removing a plug wire and inserting a good plug into the end. Have your daughter crank the engine while you have the threads of the plug grounded against a convenient metal engine part. You should see a bright spark at the plug tip. Repeat for each plug wire. If there is not spark at any plugs, then troubleshoot the distributor, particularly the cap, rotor, coil and igniter.