Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1994 Civic, ran fine and now won't start

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 06:12 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Civic, ran fine and now won't start

Hello all,

I have a 1994 Honda Civic that I bought about 18 months ago. I bought it from the original owner (elderly woman) and it only had 35,000 miles on it, so I snapped it up for a song-Only paid $1500 for it. The lady was neighbors with my father in law, so he knew it was taken care of and a fabulous deal.

Anyway, here we are about 20,000 miles later and I was putting my toddler into the car so I could get my other daughter from school. I always turned the vehice on and then the AC, so it would start to cool down some-Florida in October is a beast! So I put her into her carseat in back and then sat in the drivers seat and was doing my seatbelt etc, AC was going strong, radio on and then when I go to put it into gear and push the gas pedal a bit but nothing happened. So I turned off the air and radio and tried to restart it but it just won't turn over. It has half a tank of gas but it has that sound you get when it's out of gas, like it just won't catch. No clicking or anything like that, that you would get when it's say the starter or the alternator.

Now I did notice a "chemically" smell coming from the vents when it stalled. And the only thing I can find when I google is heater core or fuel pump.
I DID turn on the AC heater again today and let it run to see if it would get warm but it never did. So that seems likely for the heater core issue. I did notice the passneger side carpet was slightly damp about 2 months ago but figured I left a window cracked open in the rain or something.
But would that cause it to not start at all? Or am I just getting a coincidence of maybe 2 things happening at once? The temp gauge was within normal range, so no overheating, no oil leaks or anything.

Is a fuel pump costly to get fixed for the Civic? When I had that go out on my van (Ford) it was like $1000 at least. So I am hoping that isn't it! I'll get it fixed even if it is that but I am hoping for a quick and inexpensive fix. The car appears to be like new-the paint is pristine as is the interior etc with the exception of new tires when I bought it and the regular oil changes, I've not had ANY issues at all-so the car is THAT good, to warrant the repairs.

I'm going to have it towed to the shop this afternoon. I just want to prepare myself for the shock of a big bill, if there will be one! LOL

Anyway, I just wondered if anyone had any insight as to what it might be. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sarah
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: 1994 Civic, ran fine and now won't start

It could be a lot of things in general Sarah.
Best to take it to a good reputable shop that specializes in honda/acura cars.
Have them look it over and see what the problem could be.
Many years ago my 94 coupe did have a heater core problem (wetness in the passenger area) that turned out to be hose clamp.
If the car is in as pristine condition as you say it is dont give up on it yet.
Unmolested civics command a pretty high price.
What id give to have another 94 civic ex coupe in pristine condition.
Keep us posted.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

so, when you turn the key, the lights work...the a/c works, it just doesnt fire?

clean the negative battery terminal
Old 10-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The damp carpet sounds definitly a heater core problem, and about trying to restat your car? can you describe it in details like redm3turbo said? is there power to your car? If its not making even a clicking sound which would be from the starter i say check to see if you have power in your battery, If anything sounds like a blown headgasket. check the oil adn see if its milky
Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would definitely check the oil to see if its milky. Another thing could be the starter is shot. Like dirty19 said bring it to a reputable dealer and someone who you know. Goodluck!