Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1994 Civic LX 1.5 engine is studdering and jumping and now wont start. PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Civic LX 1.5 engine is studdering and jumping and now wont start. PLEASE HELP!

My water pump started leaking about 1 month ago and I have just been pouring water in the radiator every now and then until I figured out how to replace the waterpump/timing belt myself. In the mean time the coolant level did get low a few times and the temp gauge started climbing up but I never let it get into the red; I would always pull over and let it cool down.

The 4 days ago I was driving and came to a red light when all of a sudden my engine started sputtering and running like crap like it was on 3 cylinder or something. The RPM's were so low that I put it in neutral when at a red light because I was afraid the engine would stall. So when I would put it in neutral and took the load off the engine it would still run like crap but at least it would keep running, but if I kept it in drive it put more of a load on the engine and it would idle around 200 rpm and felt like it was "knocking around" the engine bay because it was sputter so bad.

Then the next day I noticed that it ran fine when I started it up cold. However, once it got warm it started doing it again. At higher RPM's (>1500), it would run fine but then when it slowed down it would run like crap again.

Then yesterday it just ran like crap the whole time no matter if the engine was cold or warm or high or low RPM just sputtering real bad.

I have take the IAC off and ran some water through it and let it air dry. It made no difference. I noticed that when I start it cold with the radiator cap off there would be some small bubbles coming up right away. While running, I disconnected the oxygen sensor and it made no difference. I disconnected the IAC sensor and it ran a little worse. Then I started disconnected the spark plug wires one at a time and each one I disconnected the engine would bog even worse. Finally after I disconnected the last one it bogged and died and now I can't get it to start again. It cranks and cranks and stumbles like it is on the verge of running but it wont. There is no CEL and I'm pretty sure all the vacuum hoses are good.

I am lucky that I don't have to go to work tomorrow otherwise I'd be screwed. Before I call a tow truck and take it to a shop what else can I try to do to get it running? Can anyone tell what the problem is?