Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1994 Civic EX Coupe DD Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2016, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Civic EX Coupe DD Build Thread

Happy Memorial Day weekend to you all, hope your weather is better than mine.
My name is Chris I live in Maryland and last week I bought a 94 Civic EX Coupe.
I wanted to get a build thread going for it since this will be my first project car.

Anyway, here is my little black car:

I bought it last week and spent part of yesterday evening and this morning detailing the crap out of it. This is how it looked before:

This isn't a terrible starting point, but it's a lot cleaner now.

It's about a thousand-million percent cleaner now. As soon as it stops pissing rain and is light outside I'll add a picture of the clean interior.

So I plan on hooking this car up in tastefully done, really clean street/ DD capacity. There are small dents here and there, the most extensive damage being the drivers fender right next to the headlight, which you can see in the first photo. I'm going to start on the body work here soon and plan on having it re-sprayed in June some time. I mentioned before, I live in Maryland so if anyone from the area knows a good place HMU.

Theres 161xxx on the odometer and building a motor for the car this summer. It's a Z6 and I'm thinking just a big cam type NA build but Ill be creeping on all the engine building threads from here on out to get some ideas. May be open to B series swap but right now I am leaning towards sticking with the single.

Finally, I am in the market for new seats- but I don't want pure racing seats because this will not be a track car. I want something comfortable. I'm open to swapping seats out of any type of car or purchasing aftermarket seats, but haven't been able to find any pertinent threads for my year/model. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would surely appreciate it. (This is more or less at my lady's request)

Last edited by MojoMixins; 05-29-2016 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:27 PM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1994 Civic EX Coupe DD Build Thread

If I'm not mistaken, 1994-2001 Acura Integra seats are a direct swap into your car, which opens up a range of options, from stock Integra seats, (still way better than Civic) leather Integra seats, up to Integra Type R seats which for a DD should be comfortable and more than enough lateral holding power for most spirited driving.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I put the car up on the lift at my dad's shop and I was wondering what is up with this oil, I'm thinking it is a oil pan gasket? What should I do about it, just monitor the oil level and let it go? I havent gotten any oil drip on my driveway so I think its more of like a seeping problem and not a real bad leak.

Old 05-29-2016, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So for the integra seats being a direct bolt in- do you mean that the whole seat and bracket will bolt right in or do i have to swap the brackets from my seats on to the integra seats?
Old 05-29-2016, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DumpdEJ6
If I'm not mistaken, 1994-2001 Acura Integra seats are a direct swap into your car, which opens up a range of options, from stock Integra seats, (still way better than Civic) leather Integra seats, up to Integra Type R seats which for a DD should be comfortable and more than enough lateral holding power for most spirited driving.
Thanks for replying I will look into it because that would be ideal. any idea what I can do for the back to make it match?
Old 05-29-2016, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Oil pan gasket, oil pump, and/or crank and cam seals are the common possibilities for leaks in area shown in first pic.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:03 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ep3 (02-05 civic si) seats are very comfortable as well, but do require some work to make fit. the plus to using them is that they only came black in the US, so theyll match what you already have decently well.
Old 05-29-2016, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by eghatch9295
ep3 (02-05 civic si) seats are very comfortable as well, but do require some work to make fit. the plus to using them is that they only came black in the US, so theyll match what you already have decently well.
Do the ep3 seats have a bunch of wiring to be done? or is the work more like adapting the brackets

I have a TIG welder and am constantly looking for a reason to use it so relocating bracket tabs is not out of the realm of possibilities here ...
Old 05-29-2016, 09:39 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

adapting brackets. there really is no wiring, your car does not have airbags or power seats. depending on how you do it, they may or may not sit higher. pan swapping is a fix if you run into that issue. https://honda-tech.com/honda-civic-d...to-eg-3008554/ and https://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-...89-ef-2189540/ <not the same seats/chassis, but should give you a good general idea.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:40 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

the seats in question, installed in your chassis:
Old 05-30-2016, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Those seats look 100% better than mine. Thanks for the input
Old 05-30-2016, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a photo of my interior after a thorough cleaning. There's nothing like getting the seats and consoles out of there and degreasing the carpet.

And here is a photo of my engine bay after a degreasing and pressure washing

That exhaust manifold cover and the rusty exhaust manifold underneath it are the next thing to go as well as the cat. The intermediate piping and muffler have already been replaced so those are fine for now but I can't have a rusty old piece of junk for headers.

Also, I found a local place that was parting out a 2000 integra and I bought these seats from them:

I expect to swing by there and pick them up some time this week.

Stuff is moving along. Any recommendations on exhaust headers?
Old 05-31-2016, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice find
Old 06-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well its been a few days since I updated you all on my progress but I have pretty much just been waiting for parts all week. It's after midnight so auto parts is closed now, and thats the only thing stopping me from finishing nearly a whole day of working on the car, but much progress has been made.

The seats ended up not working out, by the way. They only bolt down in three places, which is not my main issue with them, because that could have been modifies. The integra seats changed the height at which I sat in the car so much that the top of my head stuck out of the sunroof, and it was extraordinarily uncomfortable for my legs, but hot damn do they look and feel nice. So they are going up for sale. Ill give you guys the first crack - anyone in the DC MD VA area can come and get them, all I ask is what I paid and we are cool.

Anyway,

I took my exhaust manifold off today

In order to replace my leaking oil pan gasket. Which I did my best to spruce up with a fresh shot of paint, which ended up peeling of in some spots when I went to put it back on and looks like *** now. I believe it was the type of paint I used (ceramic header paint). That was just what we had, next time I will go out and buy some engine enamel.

After I got that all put back and tightened up, I put on some Skunk 2 headers that I got this week. They are 304 stainless and look excellent.

It was way dark by the time I got those dudes on there though because I got a real late start today . I was hungover as a demon this morning I tried to change my fuel filter and the gas gave me the spins I had to drop that **** and go inside and lay down and ended up sleeping for like 4 hours. But I set up the old floods and got it (almost) done.

My issue now is that there is a small gap between where the headers end and my cat begins. Not small enough to close with vise grips or C-clamps and too small to put some kind of coupler pipe between the two.

They gave me this flange with the headers

and my idea is to just go to the store tomorrow morning, get a straight piece of pipe, take some measurements, weld that flange on one end, cut my catalytic converter of with a die grinder. and then get a coupling for the new piece to hook up to the rest of my exhaust. Hopefully that wont make my exhaust to loud.