Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 LX sedan won't run

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1993 LX sedan won't run

I have a 1993 Civic LX, automatic. It is currently completely stock. OEM corner lights, mirrors, OEM cassette deck, OEM intake, etc. Still has the original D15B7 engine.

The car sat in a garage for 4 years prior to me getting it last week. Gas tank was almost empty, needle was on E, but I filled the tank. Rust clogging the fuel pickup?
The engine has 237k miles.
No idea when the timing belt was changed, but it's intact. Timing belt possibly jumped?
fuel pressure is 40psi at the filter.
I can hear the fuel pump prime when I turn the key.
Just replaced the fuel filter.
Just resoldered my main relay.
I am getting spark, my spark tester is flashing orange, so maybe it's a little weak?
Before it died, it idled a little rough.
My ground cables are intact.

What happened was I drove it to work, then home, then out of town that night. The car seemed to run ok on the trip out, aside from the rough idle, and I shut the car off. When I tried to restart the car half an hour later, it cranked but didn't start at first. Eventually it started, ran rough and died when I gave it gas. Restarted again, and it would rev up when I gave it gas, but when I put it in gear, it bogged and died. I've tried to get it to run again, but now it doesn't even run, it only cranks.

I honestly have no idea what is wrong with the car.
I'm going to try another ECU in the morning.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1993 LX sedan won't run

I tried another ECU, injectors, nothing changed.

I haven't done a compression test, but I think I may not have compression. I checked the coolant and there was very little. When the engine ran intermittently when I tried to restart it, it did smoke, but it was night and I couldn't tell what color it was.

So, I think the motor overheated, warped and is now little more than a boat anchor.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
I am getting spark, my spark tester is flashing orange, so maybe it's a little weak?

^Weak spark. Resistance test the coil.
Old 06-04-2011, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by NotAJDMFanBoy
I haven't done a compression test, but I think I may not have compression. I checked the coolant and there was very little. When the engine ran intermittently when I tried to restart it, it did smoke, but it was night and I couldn't tell what color it was.

So, I think the motor overheated, warped and is now little more than a boat anchor.
What color was the exhaust smoke?

After you fix the weak spark problem, top off the reservoir and radiator with coolant and then watch for coolant leaks while you bleed the cooling system.
Old 06-04-2011, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tried another coil. Still nothing.
I have another motor in the garage, this seems as good an excuse to swap it as any.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had this happen to me with several cars and your problem is in the fuel system. This happens with old fuel. When you fire it again after sitting a long time the fuel varnish is moved into the system. You can squirt fresh fuel into the intake pletuim and with a good long cranking , the motor should fire up. You can drive it , and as long as you crank it up while it is warm , it will fire up. But sit overnite, no fire , unless you squirt in fresh gas again. This cure has worked for me several times, Unhook your fuel return line from the fuel rail, add a lenght of hose to an empty gas can. Jump out main relay wires 5 and 7, switch on, and pump ALL the fuel out of the tank. Reconnect everything back up, install a new fuel filter, fresh fuel and get the motor fired up. Fill up the tank, add a can of Seafoam and drive the car at least 30 to 50 miles. This has worked for me on several cars that had been setting up for years. Sometimes only one or two cylinders will run at first.......but hold it steady , and the other one or two will usually kick in. The fuel injection system on these little boogers are tough, can take alot, and usually bouce back with little trouble , I have found.