Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 Honda Civic VX - Tutorials/Progress/Knowledge/Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 05:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: UPGRADES

Is the stock injector a one hole spray?
And, if you could be so kind, could you find me a link? That sounds awesome.
And that really sucks about your R12. I forgot that they switched in 94 to 134a. Is it super expensive?
Old 12-07-2018, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: UPGRADES

Originally Posted by Jon Petersen
Is the stock injector a one hole spray?
And, if you could be so kind, could you find me a link? That sounds awesome.
And that really sucks about your R12. I forgot that they switched in 94 to 134a. Is it super expensive?

Stock injector is one line spray
Osidetiger is 4 hole mist spray: https://ebay.us/M1GtEV

For the a/c it's 60 bucks for 3 cans which is plenty, and it comes with hose

Last edited by triple beam; 12-07-2018 at 10:50 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Honda Civic VX - Tutorials/Progress/Knowledge/Maintenance

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread! Some cool info in here. Just over a week ago I picked up my first Honda, a 1992 Civic VX. Took a gamble buying 2200 miles away off a Craigslist ad, but it paid off pretty well. 246,780 miles on the clock, engine runs super smooth except for a low idle speed, and I was getting about 40 mpg while smoothly cruising at 80-85 mph across the flat states between CA and NC. It has a few small rust spots I'll try to tackle next summer, but it doesn't appear to be bad, especially considering the $1700 price tag on the car. Can't wait to start fixing it up more- I plan to make it super clean and mostly stock looking, but with a few added creature comforts like cruise control and a better sound system. As for performance... I live in the mountains of western NC, and the car had a TERRIBLE time driving up our long sustained grades. I had to gear down to third and even second gear for 10-15 minutes at a time just to maintain even 40 mph in a 65 mph zone, so anything that could help with that would be amazing. I'll definitely check out these injectors everyone is talking about here. Looking forward to future posts on here, I'm sure I'll learn a lot, and good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Old 12-09-2018, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, do you know if a book or manual exists that contains part numbers for all the interior panels and trim pieces? I've got the giant 2" thick service manual that details the removal/installation of literally everything in the car, but there's no part numbers for any of that stuff if I want to try to buy new pieces, and I've had a hard time finding an easy-to-use online version. Any tips would be awesome!
Old 12-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Corvette Forum Member

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TDFbound
Also, do you know if a book or manual exists that contains part numbers for all the interior panels and trim pieces? I've got the giant 2" thick service manual that details the removal/installation of literally everything in the car, but there's no part numbers for any of that stuff if I want to try to buy new pieces, and I've had a hard time finding an easy-to-use online version. Any tips would be awesome!

Check out hondapartsonline[dot]net.
Old 12-10-2018, 12:31 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM me if you need black parts. I parted one out awhile back with a mint black interior, I have no use for it.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, I'm glad I found this thread! Some cool info in here. Just over a week ago I picked up my first Honda, a 1992 Civic VX. Took a gamble buying 2200 miles away off a Craigslist ad, but it paid off pretty well. 246,780 miles on the clock, engine runs super smooth except for a low idle speed, and I was getting about 40 mpg while smoothly cruising at 80-85 mph across the flat states between CA and NC. It has a few small rust spots I'll try to tackle next summer, but it doesn't appear to be bad, especially considering the $1700 price tag on the car. Can't wait to start fixing it up more- I plan to make it super clean and mostly stock looking, but with a few added creature comforts like cruise control and a better sound system. As for performance... I live in the mountains of western NC, and the car had a TERRIBLE time driving up our long sustained grades. I had to gear down to third and even second gear for 10-15 minutes at a time just to maintain even 40 mph in a 65 mph zone, so anything that could help with that would be amazing. I'll definitely check out these injectors everyone is talking about here. Looking forward to future posts on here, I'm sure I'll learn a lot, and good luck!

very nice!!! don't sell it!
try to get some maintenance done, oil change, transmission flush, replace air filter, replace or clean fuel injectors, coolant flush, fix any oil leaks, make sure you got the vx rims with proper tire size for accurate speed,
these cars meant to go forever!
Old 12-11-2018, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by triple beam
make sure you got the vx rims with proper tire size for accurate speed,
I may know a guy who's selling some 😉
Old 12-11-2018, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Big1000
I may know a guy who's selling some 😉
lol I would like to have them, but the car came with some other kind of 13" Honda alloys and the correct tire size- speedometer is accurate to within 1 mph as per my GPS up to at least 90 mph. No idea yet how much they weigh, as I haven't had a reason to take off the brand new tires that came on them! I've got a feeling the VX original wheels are lighter, though.
Old 01-11-2019, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After installing new map sensor, I feel like it has helped a lot with getting consistent upper 30's mpg and i can easily get over 300 miles in one tank now...
this is all mostly city driving with hills left and right

has anyone seen this type of improvement when installing new map sensor??
Old 01-11-2019, 10:44 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Yes, the o-ring sometimes gets worned out and can cause a vacuum leak.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

After installing new map sensor, I feel like it has helped a lot with getting consistent upper 30's mpg and i can easily get over 300 miles in one tank now...

Curious what led you to installing new map sensor? What would you say your improvement is?
Old 01-14-2019, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Big1000
Curious what led you to installing new map sensor? What would you say your improvement is?
I was reading some thread on here about what map sensor do, etc. So I was like why not replace mine? its at 290k and probably never been replaced or cleaned.
I was surprised how cheap they are.. Bought for like $15 i think.

anyways, before replacing map sensor, I couldn't consistently reach over 300 miles in one tank, unless it was highway miles.

Now, It's super easy for me to get 300+ and also I average consistently high 38-39mpg, as before it was anywhere from 35-38. mostly all city with hills.

I am just speculating/assuming things though with the data that I have. Perhaps it was the vtec solenoid cleaning that i did lol!
Old 01-15-2019, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was reading some thread on here about what map sensor do, etc. So I was like why not replace mine? its at 290k and probably never been replaced or cleaned.
I was surprised how cheap they are.. Bought for like $15
Which map sensor brand did you get? I took a look on amazon and they had all kinds in all price ranges from $10 up to $80
Old 01-15-2019, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mx5med
Which map sensor brand did you get? I took a look on amazon and they had all kinds in all price ranges from $10 up to $80
eBay Denso OEM
Old 01-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey I also have a 1993 Civic VX. Got it from a guy in San Francisco with 115k miles in 2015. The odometer and speedometer work intermittently so now it's at 137k bit it's probably around 160k.

Anyways the reason I'm here on the forums is because I failed smog. I have a crack in the exhaust manifold. It's hard to find a replacement because the exhaust manifold is connected directly to the catalytic converter. I looked on hondapartsnow.com but the exhaust manifold is discontinued and the catalytic converter is $450! I'm going to try to jb weld it and see if it passes smog then. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to go hunting for a non cracked used exhaust manifold from another VX. Wish me luck!
Old 01-24-2019, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

You can do better. Get a vacuum gauge and inflate your tires properly

I've never gotten less than 37mpg city in my heavier less effecient hx models

Old 01-24-2019, 11:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by crz650
Hey I also have a 1993 Civic VX. Got it from a guy in San Francisco with 115k miles in 2015. The odometer and speedometer work intermittently so now it's at 137k bit it's probably around 160k.

Anyways the reason I'm here on the forums is because I failed smog. I have a crack in the exhaust manifold. It's hard to find a replacement because the exhaust manifold is connected directly to the catalytic converter. I looked on hondapartsnow.com but the exhaust manifold is discontinued and the catalytic converter is $450! I'm going to try to jb weld it and see if it passes smog then. If that doesn't work I'm going to have to go hunting for a non cracked used exhaust manifold from another VX. Wish me luck!
yea unfortunately the exhaust manifold is unique. hard to find. CX trim i believe is the same as VX. I know I probably have a leak too, but no need to pass smog here after 25 years old. Good luck

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
You can do better. Get a vacuum gauge and inflate your tires properly

I've never gotten less than 37mpg city in my heavier less effecient hx models

I live in washington and I have hills everywhere. My tires are 39 PSI should i go 45 PSI?
I also need engine rebuilt, etc and intake cleaning, etc. I have many things still to do to have a healthy engine.

I am actually very impressed with the MPG your getting in your HX amazing!!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 104 Likes on 79 Posts

I dont have as much data as I use to because no one updates their fuel logs anymore because gas is so cheap, but check out a few builds and a few members signatures. Vx's should get upper 40's highway

I always ran 5 psi over max sidewall

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...ild-30201.html

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...avy-28815.html

Last edited by chrysler kid; 01-25-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yea i definitely can get easy 45mpg+ on highway but,
90% of my driving is all traffic lights, hills, neighborhoods (i need to stop being a drug dealer)

50mpg is my record, i just recently got 44 mpg when i had to drive 1.5 hours north on highway and back.

Comparing to all other VX's on fuelly, 40 is actually most people's average, another person i messaged on fuelly that averaged 50 he said he drove all highway miles to work and only drove 55mph...
to achieve 50 avg, you must be accelerating slowly, under 60 on highway, and definitely healthy engine

thanks for the links useful info

if your in texas, your land must be all flat, which is very beneficial. You don't even need go above 2k rpms.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by crz650

depending on how quickly you need it, I can check if I still have mine (pretty sure I do, it's in the very disorganized space I call the garage)
Old 02-24-2020, 04:34 PM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Any chance that you could post the rest of that Optional Radio brochure/catalog? You posted the section with the 3000 series, I'm curious to see what the other ones look like. I have a factory remanufactured head unit for a 92-95 Civic, but I cannot find a similar version anywhere. It's part number: 08A01-131-3600-01, and says "CD Changer Controller" on the front face, but it also is a tape deck with AM/FM.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:11 PM

Pics for reference.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by smithenhiven
Any chance that you could post the rest of that Optional Radio brochure/catalog? You posted the section with the 3000 series, I'm curious to see what the other ones look like. I have a factory remanufactured head unit for a 92-95 Civic, but I cannot find a similar version anywhere. It's part number: 08A01-131-3600-01, and says "CD Changer Controller" on the front face, but it also is a tape deck with AM/FM.

You got the Civic 1500 looks like you just need the CD changer that goes in the trunk. This is rare!!

Old 02-25-2020, 02:34 AM

Thanks for the info man, much appreciated.

I also have what appears to be a 2000 series unit; but it doesn't say "2000" on the tape flap door like most do. Perhaps when it was reman'd it, they didnt have the correct tape flap, and just used whatever found fit; or could this be some other odd-ball model?

Quick Reply: 1993 Honda Civic VX - Tutorials/Progress/Knowledge/Maintenance