Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 Honda Civic Fuel Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 1993 Honda Civic Fuel Pump Problems

Hey, Ive got a 93 Civic hatchback and I am having some problems with it. Several times now within a short period of owning it I have turned it on and it quickly bogs down as if its starving for fuel. I notice that it does this whenever I don't hear the fuel pump. Though within a minute or two of waiting I will turn it back on and I will here the fuel pump and the car will start fine. Would I need to just buy a new fuel pump or could it be fuel pump relay as well. Also if it helps, I notice sometimes as a turn it on there is a noise which sounds like a circuit shorting out. Thanks!
Old 07-26-2012, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Honda Civic Fuel Pump Problems

I had a similar problem with a 93 del sol that I chased for a long time. I replaced fuel pumps several times, relays, cleaned grounds, replaced ignition switch, etc. Turns out it was a worn out ECU, moisture related and the fuel circuitry went bad. I got a replacement P 28 ECU and have been fine since.
It's been a common problen lately with 93 civics and I think those ECU's are running out of life. Borrow a friend's ECU to try it out.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nigel_22
Hey, Ive got a 93 Civic hatchback and I am having some problems with it. Several times now within a short period of owning it I have turned it on and it quickly bogs down as if its starving for fuel. I notice that it does this whenever I don't hear the fuel pump. Though within a minute or two of waiting I will turn it back on and I will here the fuel pump and the car will start fine. Would I need to just buy a new fuel pump or could it be fuel pump relay as well. Also if it helps, I notice sometimes as a turn it on there is a noise which sounds like a circuit shorting out. Thanks!
sounds like your fuel pump is going bad. What motor do you have in there? And what fuel pump? Is it the original one or an aftermarket one? I had the same problem with my car for a while when I had a TRE 255 pump in there, the pump was going bad and causing this problem until one day I got stuck.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

sounds like the main relay to me. I could be wrong but they are crazy common for going bad in hondas. It powers a lot of things such as the fuel pump and ecu. It runs the injectors too so any of those 3 (and I think even more) could be effected if the relay is going bad. When it doesnt start try kicking the bottom side of the dash, on the left side of the steering wheel above the clutch pedal while trying to start. I have gotten countless hondas running when they wouldnt start by doing that. good luck either way
Old 07-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Trial User

It sounds like a relay, but then again in my dads truck, it did the same thing and the fuel pump went bad the next week.

If your going to swap the relays, might as well swap the fuel pump as well. Just to be safe!
Old 07-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html
Old 10-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by Nigel_22
I had exactly the same symptom for quite a while on my 1993 Honda Civic. I just replaced the fuel pump relay (also called "main relay"), and it has completely fixed the problem. From a chit-chat I had with a Honda dealer's mechanic, it seems 93 Civic is known to have this problem on the fuel pump relay!