Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1993 Del Sol - Check Engine Light (code 20) - I need your expertise!!!!!

Old 02-14-2011, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 Del Sol - Check Engine Light (code 20) - I need your expertise!!!!!

I have 1993 Del Sol (Civic) and the check engine light recently came on. I disconnected the battery to see if it is just a temporary thing, but the light stayed on. Here are my questions:

1) Where can I go to check the CEL code? I went to a nearby Autozone yesterday, but they can only check cars that are 97 or newer.

2) I need to take an emission test soon and they won't check with the light on. How can I turn this off until I get the problem fixed? If you know a way, please be specific as I'm not an expert on car fuses, wires, and where they are located...

Thanks!!
Old 02-14-2011, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: 1993 Del Sol - Check Engine Light - I need your expertise!!!!!

Click CEL in my signature. This link brings you to the CEL sticky at the top of the forum.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Click CEL in my signature. This link brings you to the CEL sticky at the top of the forum.
Thanks. Btw, is there a way I can turn this light off temporary or permanently?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant just turn the light off, you need to fix the problem of the CEL will continue to come on. pull the code as described in the CEL sticky and go from there. all you need is a paperclip to get started
Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

FYI, Autozone can check OBDII cars, which are 1996 and newer (and some '94s and some '95s - I've only managed to see one of these that was OBDII so far).

But yes, check the code using the paperclip trick, figure out what the code is and then post back!
Old 02-14-2011, 09:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
you cant just turn the light off, you need to fix the problem of the CEL will continue to come on. pull the code as described in the CEL sticky and go from there. all you need is a paperclip to get started

It's just that I have to get an emission test done for the sticker on the license plate and I don't know if they will test the car with the light on. I want to turn the light off temporary, pass the test, then fix the problem when I have more time. I have to get the test done within next 10 days and I don't have time to fix the problem. Any trick that you are aware of?
Old 02-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't know whether you have a simple or complex problem until you pull the code. When done, post them and then reset the ECU to see whether the same code(s) repeats.

BTW, you can reset the ECU (clear the codes) by removing the hood Back Up fuse for about 3 minutes.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:35 AM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Depending on the test being done and the reason for the CEL, even if the light itself is not on you might not pass the test.

You REALLY need to pull the code. It takes about five minutes.

On the passenger side of the glove box there should be a 2 pin connector (it's often next to a 3 pin connector, but I can't say that's true for every Honda). So find this 2 pin connector.

Take a paperclip and bend it into a loose U shape. Stick the paperclip into the 2 pin connector (one end in each hole on the connector).

Turn the ignition key to ACC (car on, but engine not running).

Your CEL will begin to flash. Count the flashes. There will be long (quick) and short (slow) flashes. Count each and write them down. Watch it a few times to make sure you're getting the same codes. You could have more than one code stored.

Now that you have those codes, look online for the meaning. Autozone also has a Computer Codes book that should be for sale with the rest of their books (it's blue). This book lists the codes and how to pull them as well.

Once you have the code(s) you can fix the problem. It could be something very easy.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NOFX
Depending on the test being done and the reason for the CEL, even if the light itself is not on you might not pass the test.

You REALLY need to pull the code. It takes about five minutes.

On the passenger side of the glove box there should be a 2 pin connector (it's often next to a 3 pin connector, but I can't say that's true for every Honda). So find this 2 pin connector.

Take a paperclip and bend it into a loose U shape. Stick the paperclip into the 2 pin connector (one end in each hole on the connector).

Turn the ignition key to ACC (car on, but engine not running).

Your CEL will begin to flash. Count the flashes. There will be long (quick) and short (slow) flashes. Count each and write them down. Watch it a few times to make sure you're getting the same codes. You could have more than one code stored.

Now that you have those codes, look online for the meaning. Autozone also has a Computer Codes book that should be for sale with the rest of their books (it's blue). This book lists the codes and how to pull them as well.

Once you have the code(s) you can fix the problem. It could be something very easy.
I clear understand that I need to check the code out but what if comes out to something that I can't fix within next 9 days? I am going to fix whatever the problem is since this is my little baby, but I was wondering if I can turn it off so that I can pass the test then fix it when I have more time. I JUST don't have time to fix the problem in 9 days.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:09 PM
Sol to Sol

lol Just do it, and let us know, THEN we can tell you how to get past your test.

Ron and NOFX are two of the best helpers here, but they cant help, if you don't help them
Old 02-16-2011, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jena_blondie
I clear understand that I need to check the code out but what if comes out to something that I can't fix within next 9 days?
you will never know until you pull the code.

Originally Posted by jena_blondie
I am going to fix whatever the problem is since this is my little baby, but I was wondering if I can turn it off so that I can pass the test then fix it when I have more time.
even if you could magically make the light go out, you will most likely fail your test. most common CELs are emissions related anyways. maybe you can get an extenstion on your test until the problem is fixed?
Old 02-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dpetro1
you will never know until you pull the code.

even if you could magically make the light go out, you will most likely fail your test. most common CELs are emissions related anyways. maybe you can get an extenstion on your test until the problem is fixed?
Depending on what state she is in the car can pass. Jump the service connector, pull the code and get back to us. Mostly all CEL codes are fixable within a few days.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Check Engine Light (CEL) 2 Long Flashes....

....CEL came on for my 1993 Del Sol Si.....
I did the paper clip trick on ECU and received 2 long flashes.....I waited to see if any other codes are coming up but received only 2 long flashes repeatedly.
Is this mean the code is "20 - Electrical Load Detector" ??
I am not sure what that is and how to fix it...Please help!!!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Check Engine Light (CEL) 2 Long Flashes....

Two long flashes would be 20.. And I have no idea how to fix that or even what it is sorry.. Lets get this guy some help...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why make a new thread, we were already helping you in the first one??

anyways, im glad to see you finally went out an got the code. RonJ to the rescue as always, found this troubleshooting diagram posted by him:

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT

Old 02-16-2011, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just googled it and it says that code is for the communication between the alternator and the ecu. It tells the IACV to idle more or less..and its saying its in your engine bay fuse box, it should be the brown fuse it looks like a box in there... Hope this helps...
Old 02-16-2011, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW~~ YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!! THIS IS GOING HELP MY DAD FIXING THE CAR...I HOPE HE KNOWS ABOUT THE FUSE...LOL.

Sorry for making a new thread... thanks for helping out!!
Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1993 Del Sol - Check Engine Light (code 20) - I need your expertise!!!!!