Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1992 Honda Civic DX Hatch wiring problems and idle/power issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Honda Civic DX Hatch wiring problems and idle/power issues

Hello everyone! I'm a proud yet despairing owner of a recently acquired 1992 Honda Civic DX Hatchback in El Paso, TX! I've always wanted to own a hatchback from this generation and I finally got the chance! Unfortunately here's where the problems start. I honestly know very little about cars in general. I've changed the oil and brakes myself but that's about the most I've done so please exscuse me if any of my questions are stupid or seem obvious, I'm eager to learn and fix everything.

Anyways here's the info on my car and the problems. The car is a 5-speed manual I was told it has a D15B7 engine. Apparently, I was also told it has a P28 ECU and a Minime Y8 Head on B7 Block. Whether this is true...well I hope it is! This means I have V-Tech right? Im somewhat fuzzy on all of this still. The previous owner also cut the coil over springs, its so low it scrapes sometimes .Now the main problems are as follows:

The engine wiring is a mess when I got it wires were stripped and a lot weren't even twisted together. Additionally what was connected were twisted together bare. So I covered up what I could with electric tape for now. The front left headlight is wired off of the Front right headlight. I found an engine wire harness online for a 1992 Honda Civic DX with a D15B7 engine, will this work for the car based on the modifications I've stated it has? I have to get the wiring fixed because it's just plain messed up. I found the harness for $65 online and am just waiting for the ok to overnight it!

The next problem is that I have "something" just hanging in the engine. I believe it's a sensor but which one and where it goes IDK??? Here's a picture.

Now there's a problem with the radiator fan. It uses this switch mounted next to the steering wheel to turn on. I don't even know how to repair it as I think the wiring for the origianl is gone...which is why I wanted to get a completely new wiring harness so I can put a stock radiator fan on that will turn on and off on its own. The fan only turns on when I switch it on right now. The original owner didn't even tell me this and the car almost overheated when I drove it home.

You can see in the pic above how one of the headlights is wired the white are extensions running ton the other headlight. Also you can see the plug for the radiator. All the wiring is missing and replaced with a few miscellaneous ones and that thicker yellow wire. That runs to the battery where it meets a blue wire and those go into the interior to a switch pictured below. Thats how the radiator fan is turned on.

Lastly, it has a rough idle and hesitates on acceleration. Sometimes it doesn't and it'll have tons of power other times it chugs and then all of a sudden power kicks in...I was told this is the MAP sensor but I've seen mention around here of cleaning the IACV and something else that I can't remember? What do you guys think.

Here's a full picture of the enine:

And...last question for now...I promise! Because of the mini me y8 head when I give it a tune up, say I bought the parts from Autozone, would I just get the parts for the original motor when they ask, or are there certain things that I need to tell them to get the correct parts like spark plugs, distributor cap, etc...?

Thank you so much for any and all help! i look forward to learning as much as possible!

Last edited by Ryujindra; 09-14-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Made pictures smaller
Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1992 Honda Civic DX Hatch wiring problems and idle/power issues

Can anyone help with any of my issues?
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i know that this is kind of old, but noone ever answered. ive looked a good bit into doing this mini me swap, as i am rebuilding a 1992 civic lx w/ the d15b7.

that sensor you have sitting there looks like the maf ( mass airflow) if im not mistaken. drill a hole in the intake for that thing and it theoretically will clean SOME of the rough run up. do yourself a favor and find your local junkyard and get the entire wiring harness for the d16y8, for fear of having to rewire yourself. there are plenty of guides online that help with this.

As far as your question per the spark plugs, the only minime swap that uses different sparkplugs is the d16z6. the y8 uses the exact same spark plugs. fyi, stick to NGK's. Ive never had much luck with anything else in import motors.
Hope this helps anyone else.

The D16Y8 comes in 1997 del sol.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump