Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

17years old bought a car n craigslist a D15b7Y8 with a s40 tranny here the problem!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 17years old bought a car n craigslist a D15b7Y8 with a s40 tranny here the problem!

when i drive my car it starts out with the temp gauge at the C once it warms up after about a mile it gets to the average temp for like 2-3 miles then it will heat up .. but like today it didnt heat up for awhile...ive check all hoses for leaks and even have an extra fanhooked up..i bleed the raditor and ive coverd like everything i can think of!! i changed the thermostat witch my car didnt even have one, i bought the car from craighslist its a 1992 civic 4dr ex and they put a d15b7 with a y8head and a s40 tranny the car use to be an automatic but they converted it to manual ..the guy said it has oversides piston rings and they need to be broken in...but HERES THE WIERD THING WHEN I TURN MY BLINKERS ONMY TEMP GAUGE BUMPS UP IN BURSTS EVERYTIME THE BLINKER CLICKS???? WTFFFFF ITS CONFUSING IM THINKING MY CAR ISNT OVER HEATING AND THE COMPUTER OR SOMETHING IS JUSTT THINKING IT IS!!! BECAUSE OF BAD WIRING.???..BUT IM ONLY 17 and i dont know much about cars YETTT.. DONT BE TO HARSH IDK MUCH YET IM STILL LEARDNING!!

the extra fan i have wired up is just a fan off an old radiator i mounted it blowing toward tha engine to help cool it.... lol prolly wont do much but yeah ima kid i wanted to try...its topped off with radiator fluid i dont have an O-ring on my dizzy!!! i cant find one that fits at autozone or any other auto store...its pissing me tha **** off could that be why my cars overheating? because i do kinda loose alot of oil onto my block and i havent added any since i got tha car ive been busy buying other ****...sucks being on such a low budget all the time well any help will do me good so drop me a line

Last edited by NubImports; 03-09-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 17years old bought a car n craigslist a D15b7Y8 with a s40 tranny here the proble

good damm i cant understand what the **** you are saying you never finish your sentence before you start another one
Old 03-09-2009, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 17years old bought a car n craigslist a D15b7Y8 with a s40 tranny here the proble

Originally Posted by bossm
good damm i cant understand what the **** you are saying you never finish your sentence before you start another one
alright sry im not gunna like i was pretty blazed when i wrote that lol i fixed made it readable =] please help
Old 03-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I still can't read what you wrote. I couldn't even get past the first sentence
Old 03-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude really u cant understand it...wtff
=/
Old 03-09-2009, 10:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

umm t-stat maybe
Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ekb16
umm t-stat maybe
nah dude i checked i thought it was too! my car didnt even have a thermostat in it i put one in tho but i might take it back out and let it free flow like the guy that swapped the egine had it!? im in way over my head i really need this car to be reliable!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

please man i really need some help anyyone?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know the problem you are talking about. it doesn't sound like the engine is overheating.

your cluster seems messed up. I had some contacts on the back of the cluster touching (retyped the cluster with blue LEDs and I did some poor soldering on one of the contacts) and my cluster did a similar thing, except my fuel and temp gauge both went all the way up and it was the tach that was affected by the turn signals.

look for problems with your cluster. you may have to replace it.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
i know the problem you are talking about. it doesn't sound like the engine is overheating.

your cluster seems messed up. I had some contacts on the back of the cluster touching (retyped the cluster with blue LEDs and I did some poor soldering on one of the contacts) and my cluster did a similar thing, except my fuel and temp gauge both went all the way up and it was the tach that was affected by the turn signals.

look for problems with your cluster. you may have to replace it.
well now that i think about it the whole cars wireing is pretty ****ed up so like howmuch would it run me to get all new wiring in my car? i know machanices but do regular machanice shops do wireing?

thank you so much i think u found my problem
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NubImports
well now that i think about it the whole cars wireing is pretty ****ed up so like howmuch would it run me to get all new wiring in my car?
find a 92-95 civic EX at a junkyard and pull its wiring harnesses and swap those in.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True!!! Check the cluster connections and the ecu plugs make sure theres no mickey mouse jobs on your swap. Also how do you know your car was overheating? Maybe its your water pump?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by L.A.95TEGCRVTEC
True!!! Check the cluster connections and the ecu plugs make sure theres no mickey mouse jobs on your swap. Also how do you know your car was overheating? Maybe its your water pump?
well im not sure if its overheating or not! the gauge moves aloottt and when i turn the blinkers on it bounces up with the clicks and idk man

how much would it cost me to get all the wiring done? idk how much that kinda work runs an hr?

O!!! and by the way my raditor seems to be kinda small since i have a high compression engine should i have a bigger radiator?
Old 03-09-2009, 10:53 PM

You'd probably get more help if you actually used punctuation and real words... reading what you've been typing is a test of patience.

Do the wiring yourself and just learn it. Sounds mostly like a wiring issue if the temp gauge jumps in time to the blinker.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well im not sure if its overheating or not! the gauge moves aloottt and when i turn the blinkers on it bounces up with the clicks and idk man

how much would it cost me to get all the wiring done? idk how much that kinda work runs an hr?

O!!! and by the way my raditor seems to be kinda small since i have a high compression engine should i have a bigger radiator?
I would just swap out the dash and floor harness for ones out of another Civic. I'm not sure how much it would cost. Why don't you ask a local shop...?

and lol your radiator is fine.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Azuremen
You'd probably get more help if you actually used punctuation and real words... reading what you've been typing is a test of patience.

Do the wiring yourself and just learn it. Sounds mostly like a wiring issue if the temp gauge jumps in time to the blinker.
im sry i neveerr ttype on the computer so i dont really use punctuation ...i text alot thats tha prolly why..

so do you think my car is overheating ? because the temp gauge starts at cold and warms up like normal !!!
Old 03-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this isn't your cell phone so learn to type. Text message lingo is childish and stupid.

When your temp gauge is going up, is it going up at a constant rate?

Either way, there is a problem with your cluster and until you get that fixed, I wouldn't do anything else.

and get the distributor o-ring at the dealer...
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well this isn't your cell phone so learn to type. Text message lingo is childish and stupid.

Either way, there is a problem with your cluster and until you get that fixed, I wouldn't do anything else.

well **** do u think its safe for me to drive it a few miles a day to go to work like 10 max? will not having an o-ring cause it to overheat?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you don't know if it's overheating or not I wouldn't drive it at all. Also, if you don't have a distributor o-ring I wouldn't drive it at all either. You should be spewing oil.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DUDE!!! i ****ing love you!
no homo
You always tell the truth!
Preach bro Preach!
PS i love reading your replies cause i never have to answer Idiotic questions
Old 03-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EGKUSH
DUDE!!! i ****ing love you!
no homo
You always tell the truth!
Preach bro Preach!
PS i love reading your replies cause i never have to answer Idiotic questions
lol get off dudes nuts man!!....is there anyway i can have like a "****** rigged" a temp gauge that would show acurate temp of my block? so i know if i need to mess with tha wirres and ****?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:45 PM

You're now officially my favorite person here.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:46 PM

lol get off dudes nuts man!!....is there anyway i can have like a "****** rigged" a temp gauge that would show acurate temp of my block? so i know if i need to mess with tha wirres and ****?
Well, in the old days, they used a non electronic setup. But I don't think you want to run multi-hundred degree fluids into the cabin of your car.

Go fix the cluster and wiring. Then check other problems.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn for the first time in my life people like me
lol jk

...is there anyway i can have like a "****** rigged" a temp gauge that would show acurate temp of my block? so i know if i need to mess with tha wirres and ****?
you could get a water temp gauge from the auto parts store and wire it to the water temp sensor, which is by the distributor. don't use this as a fix, only temporary so you can make sure what the real temp is. definitely get the cluster fixed or get a new one.

don't drive your car at all until you get the temp gauge working or a temporary one installed. excessive overheating can damage the head gasket.

Originally Posted by Azuremen
But I don't think you want to run multi-hundred degree fluids into the cabin of your car.
well actually there already are... the heater hoses running to the heater core.
regardless, i wouldn't want any more than the 2 that are there. lol
Old 03-09-2009, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn for the first time in my life people like me
lol jk

you could get a water temp gauge from the auto parts store and wire it to the water temp sensor, which is by the distributor. don't use this as a fix, only temporary so you can make sure what the real temp is. definitely get the cluster fixed or get a new one.

don't drive your car at all until you get the temp gauge working or a temporary one installed. excessive overheating can damage the head gasket.

well actually there already are... the heater hoses running to the heater core.
regardless, i wouldn't want any more than the 2 that are there. lol
ok so im sooo new at this its my first car..so what exactly do i need to buy the cluster? witch is the main wiring outlet thing right? do i have to run all new wires or what? im still a lil lost? and about how much do u think it would cost me to hook up tha temparary temp gauge setup what would i need to buy? and btw i have no heater or ac at allll!!! the people that swapped it never put one in

Quick Reply: 17years old bought a car n craigslist a D15b7Y8 with a s40 tranny here the problem!