Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

17s and Omnipower Sport, unbearable? (already tried suspension forum)

Old 04-06-2005, 06:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 17s and Omnipower Sport, unbearable? (already tried suspension forum)

I recently ordered some 17s for my car (don't bother flaming, you're not going to change my mind, plus I'll be getting MagLites in 15 later this year- eat me Rota) and I also ordered Omni in sport, JHP is out of stock on the sports till next week. I'm not in a hurry so I can wait but I was thinking of calling them back to get the smoother street set-up, will the difference be noticeable (in terms of comfort)? I want to do some track/x-cross events far down the road but I know the car will be mostly a DD street duty vehicle.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:03 PM

When I was looking for rims for my car I was originally going to get 17's but then I thought about it and decided I wanted a bit of comfort but I didn't want to keep the 14's that they came with so I comprimised and put 16's instead althought I think the 17's will look better I thought I'd do a little comprimise for ride quality...just my 2 cents
Old 04-06-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: (sickity)

I already have the 17s inbound, I'm just wondering if I should go down to the Omni streets instead of sports, the roads around here look like quilts. Great job DOT!
Old 04-06-2005, 07:42 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (CaptivaBlue)

I wouldn't go with Omni's in the first place. I would get some Ground Control coilovers and Koni Yellows.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:46 PM

Default Re: (GetawayinMoscow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayinMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't go with Omni's in the first place. I would get some Ground Control coilovers and Koni Yellows.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^**** that noise.

I have omni street's...they get an A+ from me.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: (Civiapt)

I chose Omni because they are a decent (allegedly) set-up for the price. I think I'll go street though, I'll just call JHP and ask them to switch.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GetawayinMoscow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I wouldn't go with Omni's in the first place. I would get some Ground Control coilovers and Koni Yellows.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree. I have GC's on my car and i'm super low and on stock [unblown] shocks. The ride is suprisingly comfortable for how low it is and handling is great. The Eibach springs are holdin up great after some 7-8xxx odd miles. Splurge for some new shocks if you do get sleeve coils, just as a precaution. Ground Control =
Old 04-06-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: (SoCal EJ1)

My question isn't what suspension to get, I've made up my mind. I'm just wondering it the Omni sports on 17s are going to beat me to hell.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question isn't what suspension to get, I've made up my mind. I'm just wondering it the Omni sports on 17s are going to beat me to hell. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have NEX fullcoilover (whole different setup i know but really stiff too) on 17's with 40 series tires and it's not so bad.

When I hit sharp bumps it feels like I have no suspension, but the problem it's not the suspension because when I had my 15's the ride was just perfect. I'm going back to some 15's next week, I cant deal with this rock hard tires anymore.

You should be able to deal with it though, it's not that bad.
Old 04-06-2005, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have the sports and 2 of my friends have the streets and i can barely notice a difference... the sports arent that much harder.. only on sharp bumps but nothing unbearable by any means.. these were all on 15 inch... one with 50 series sidewalls i think and mine has 55 i think
Old 04-06-2005, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My question isn't what suspension to get, I've made up my mind. I'm just wondering it the Omni sports on 17s are going to beat me to hell. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ohhh, my bad. 17's will be a little harsher of a ride. More rim = less tire and air cushion = more visits to the chiropractor
Old 04-06-2005, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 17s and Omnipower Sport, unbearable? (CaptivaBlue)

I had 17's with Tein springs and Tokico Illuminas' and I absolutely hated it, don't get me wrong I think the wheel & tire combo looked good but the ride sucked horribly, acceleration/ braking was a bit worse and the handling felt more distant, not as sharp as it does now.

I was surprised because I thought with the lower profile tires it would be much better since there would be less side wall flex. I bent one rim after a month and another dent came shortly on the same rim , these were Buddy Club P1s' . I also have front and rear sway bar set up, rear lower tie bar, front upper strut bar etc. and the ride/handling was just disappointing. The 15in tire feels 100% better and the handling seems on par with the suspension mods I have done and the ride is decent (I cruise the Illuminas' on the highest setting). The Tein spring rates are pretty soft so can you imagine the crappy ride on higher spring rates? The stiffer rates will help keep you from bottoming out though.

Just my .02 .
Old 04-06-2005, 11:03 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Civiapt)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civiapt &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^**** that noise.

I have omni street's...they get an A+ from me. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't care what you think. Why dont you go to the road race autox forum with your omni made in taiwan cheap *** **** and argue with them.

Unless you have thousands of dollars, you will never be able to beat a GC/Koni yellow suspension set up, and that's no BS right there.
Old 04-06-2005, 11:20 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, I had omnipower sports for about 2 months. I sold them because the ride was absolutely unbearable on the streets. Don't get me wrong, it handled like a dream, there was absolutely no body roll, and even on piece of **** tires, it could turn like no other. When I had them, I was using stock 13inch steelies, with tires that 185/70/13 tires. With 17's, I"m 100% positive they'll be absolutely unbearable. You'll hate your car.
Old 04-07-2005, 02:25 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (litterbox)

i sold my omni's too, got ground controls and konis, had omnis for a month, and gc+konis since
Old 04-07-2005, 01:27 PM

Default Re: (menkio)

So the Koni/GC are not only more trackable but more streetable too?

Is the SP3 version that Neuspeed pushes worth it?
Old 04-07-2005, 01:36 PM
I am a (Trial User) Army

You will like the damper adjustability of the koni's alot. Although, I've heard that omni is coming out with damper adjustable struts soon. Call them and find out when.
Old 04-07-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: (litterbox)

I have a cross country trip a few months, I can't wait for developing products.
Old 04-07-2005, 04:30 PM

i have omni sports with ctr rims 195/50/15 tires. these are on a 5th gen hatch gutted. if you have any imperfection in the road you WILL FEEL IT. i am talking even about the smallest crack in the road that has that puddy **** on it.

Depending on the overall sidewall height of your tires you will hate life.

I know you made up your mind, BUT i have had my omni's just about 6 months and the sleeved collar is rusting pretty bad already. the compression on them with the 46mm valve is unbearable, especially in the rear where i have little to no weight.

As far as whether they are a good product or not, i think it comes down to best for the money... Where are you going to find a comparable setup for 650 shipped... BUT there are better out there, if you are going for looks then i wouldn't waste your money, if you are going for all out performance i would continue saving and get something like the buddyclub dampers.

anyways back on topic, get the streets, while there might be little difference, that little difference might be the difference between living and wanting to blow your head off everytime you have to go somewhere
Old 04-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 17s and Omnipower Sport, unbearable? (CaptivaBlue)

i say go for it bro.

whats wrong with 17inch wheels on a civic and you bouncing around inside your car like your inside a popcorn machine?

get'em dude
Old 04-07-2005, 04:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default OMnis

I have the streets on my hatch completly gutted at like 1800 lbs on 15/205/50 and its bearable... city driving sucks tho so id stay away from that if you could....Potholes eat a fat one too but i think the fact taht i can hear everything in my car cause of the no interior makes it sound worse

AS for the feel at my weight the streets are perfect for my combination of weight and stiffness. With 17s it will definately be rough, and combined with sports....... but **** it try it out youll handle like a beast... just beware of rub... before i could take anything hard i had to roll my many a millimeter
Old 04-07-2005, 05:45 PM

Default Re: OMnis (StreetEG)

I'm starting to seriously lean towards the KY/GC
Old 04-07-2005, 05:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: OMnis (CaptivaBlue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CaptivaBlue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm starting to seriously lean towards the KY/GC</TD></TR></TABLE>

Lol
Old 04-07-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: OMnis (awdriscol4)

Talked to Robear, they were real nice. Gonna cancel my Omni order with JHP and get the KY SP3/GC for my car, still going with seventeens till fall, then 15 MagLites. I don't like Rotas.
Old 04-07-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: OMnis (CaptivaBlue)

i had tein type ss on 16 in rotas with a 205/45/16 bfg g force sport that rode great. handled good and great ride comfort too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17s and Omnipower Sport, unbearable? (already tried suspension forum)