Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1500 rpm surge plz help!!!

Old 01-24-2019, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1500 rpm surge plz help!!!

Plz help!!! My 98 Civic with the d16y7 will not stop surging at 1500-1600 rpm. It started a few months back, I had a bad water pump leak and I suspected the surging had something to do with my iacv. I've since deleted my iacv, replaced my water pump and timing belt. Still the surging presisted. I've now replaced my pcv valve, tps sensor, spark plugs, and I've checked for vacuum leaks using electrical cleaner in a spray can... Yet still the engine still surges/jerks between 1500-1600 rpm and feels kind of sluggish. I'm going to replace my distributor and plug wires tommorow, as I have a 92 ex d16z6 donor car. I'm hoping this helps but I'm kind of doubting it.. does anyone have any other ideas as to what else could possibly be causing the engine surge??? Plz help I'm almost at my witts end with this issue!! Thanks!!!
Old 01-24-2019, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1500 rpm surge plz help!!!

Quick update, after posting this I went to mess with my idle screw, only because I have low idle due to my iacv delete, and it seemed to kind of help the surging issue. It's still there however, maybe not quite as bad, but I don't think it has anything to do with the idle screw being as the surge isn't happening on idle, it's at 1500-1600 rpm. Just wanted to throw that out there. Again, thanks in advance any help is much appreciated!!!
Old 01-25-2019, 03:58 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Does the D16Y7 have a FITV? If so, I'd look check the adjustment on that.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Does the D16Y7 have a FITV? If so, I'd look check the adjustment on that.
The FITV was located on the backside of the iacv, so it also has been deleted from my TB.
Old 01-25-2019, 10:58 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey Mitchell
The FITV was located on the backside of the iacv, so it also has been deleted from my TB.
huh?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
huh?
The fitv is attached to the iacv, which I deleted. I reset my ecu this morning which I haven't done in a long time.. the problem seems to be better now, I can't get the engine to surge while in gear which is good, however when not in gear or when the clutch isn't ingauged it still surges slightly at 1500 rpm. Just enough to still agaggrivate me, I've got to resolve this issue.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If it could run properly without an IACV, Honda wouldn't have spent the money to put one on every Civic.

When my IACV failed, it was of course not idling well, also it was really hesitant and jerky taking off from a stop or putting along in slow traffic in first.gear. So I did the obvious thing and replaced the IACV with a good one.
Old 01-25-2019, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by mk378
If it could run properly without an IACV, Honda wouldn't have spent the money to put one on every Civic.

When my IACV failed, it was of course not idling well, also it was really hesitant and jerky taking off from a stop or putting along in slow traffic in first.gear. So I did the obvious thing and replaced the IACV with a good one.
At really low throttle blade angles, the IACV provides a portion of the air flow needed to operate the engine up to about 2500 rpm. Deleting the IACV will cause the hesitation/jerky operation at low RPM.

So OP, why did you remove the IACV ??? Also, the FITV is a mechanical idle up device that is found bolted to the bottom of the T/B on a '92-95 Civic or '94-95 Integra. '88-91 Civic/CRX's have the FITV bolted to the intake manifold UNDER the T/B. How about posting a picture of your intake manifold and how you deleted the IACV and FITV.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:09 AM
Fish Twig

Which was why I'm confused at why he said he had an FITV unless the throttlebody is from the 92-95 civic/94-95 integra.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These are photos of my iacv. I was mistaken, the 2nd photo shows what I thought was a FITV, but it's just an adjustment for the iacv. I deleted it by simply screwing a piece of sheet metal over the hole where the iacv originally sat, and I made sure to use the rubber seal that was on my iacv so that my patch didn't leak. Then I just looped the coolant hoses that went to the iacv together. At the time I had a bad water pump leak I was experiencing all sorts of idle issues and that's why I deleted it to begin with. I was running straight water in my coolant system and it froze over a few times, good ol cold NC mornings and I was afraid I may have broken my iacv. However, upon inspection of my iacv now it seems to function properly, I mean it spins by hand freely and it closes off as it should when I try to blow through it. So my question now is should I just clean my iacv and replace it to try and solve my 1500 rpm surge issue, or should I go buy a new iacv all together? I have replaced my water pump and timing belt now and I am running antifreeze in my coolant system. I know I will have to re-bleed the coolant system of air when I replace my iacv I just don't want to waste the time of putting my original iacv back on of there is a possiblity of it being broken in a way that I can't tell by physically inspecting it. Thanks for all the help, guys.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also, please don't rag on my shitty carpet. Lol
Old 01-26-2019, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

An IACV would have an electrical coil inside of it so that the ECU can control the rate of air flow that bypasses the T/B. Does the device that you have pictured have some port for an electrical connection ??? If not, it would be considered a mechanical FITV. The way that these work is there is a simple air leak when the water temperature is cool... once warmed up, the wax bowl inside softens and allows the piston inside to seal thus cutting off the air leak.

This doesn't look like an IACV from a '98 D16Y7... is it damaged or is some part missing ??? There really should be a 3-wire electrical port.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
An IACV would have an electrical coil inside of it so that the ECU can control the rate of air flow that bypasses the T/B. Does the device that you have pictured have some port for an electrical connection ??? If not, it would be considered a mechanical FITV. The way that these work is there is a simple air leak when the water temperature is cool... once warmed up, the wax bowl inside softens and allows the piston inside to seal thus cutting off the air leak.

This doesn't look like an IACV from a '98 D16Y7... is it damaged or is some part missing ??? There really should be a 3-wire electrical port.
If you were looking at the right hand side of the iacv in the first (top) picture I posted you will see a brass "****" on the side of the valve. That is where the electrical coil bolts over the iacv. I just left it connected to the car, really for no reason just so I don't lose it. Lol. But yes it's definitely an iacv, and that is the missing part you described. My apologies for lack of pictures, it's just been too cold outside. I'm probably going to reinstall my iacv today and hope for the best.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Yes put it all back together.

You don't necessarily have to hook up the coolant lines though. They don't do anything except in very cold weather.
Old 01-27-2019, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check your tps that has a lot to do with idle not iacv or whatever you call it
Old 01-27-2019, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mk378
Yes put it all back together.

You don't necessarily have to hook up the coolant lines though. They don't do anything except in very cold weather.
Ok, so I put it all back together, minus the coolant lines for now just to see what happened. At first it idle surged as the iacv was stuck wide open, so I unplugged it while the car was running and plugged it back in and boom, the car started running as should. I then used my obd reader and cleared the code it has been throwing for iacv since I deleted it months back. I got excited for a moment and was about to call it a fix, but my excitement was short-lived when the car randomly idled up to about 2500 rpm a few minutes after clearing the code and started the infamous idle surge once again. Everytime I unplug the iacv and plug it back in the car starts to run and idle properly as it should for a few minutes then boom, back to idle surging. I do not have a multi tester to test the voltage that my ecu is running to my iacv, so should I just assume my iacv is bad??? I mean, it did freeze over several times while the iacv was on the car, with nothing more than water in the coolant system... But when I inspect my iacv everything seems to function properly. It spins freely and stops in the spots it should. However I will say that putting my iacv back on did solve the 1500-1600 rpm issue which I originally set out to resolve, but I can't deal with this terrible idle surge and I'd like to not have a cel. Thoughts??? Again, thanks everyone for your patience and input.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TPS brotha
Old 01-27-2019, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93hondacivic91
TPS brotha
Already replaced tps just a few days ago. Only code I'm throwing is iacv.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off explain what you mean by surging. Second off to remove the cel all u got to do is remove the ecu fuse under your hood for a few minutes and its gone. Ever time i go over 6500 rpm my cel goes so i just remove the ecu fuse under hood and wam bam its gone. Also my cel was on due to a high idle idk if thats what your dealing with. Let me know ☺
Old 01-27-2019, 02:11 PM
Fish Twig

that specific iacv is calibrated, I dont THINK you were suppose to separate them.
Old 01-27-2019, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

First off explain what you mean by surging. Second off to remove the cel all u got to do is remove the ecu fuse under your hood for a few minutes and its gone. Ever time i go over 6500 rpm my cel goes so i just remove the ecu fuse under hood and wam bam its gone. Also my cel was on due to a high idle idk if thats what your dealing with. Let me know ☺
On idle the car bounces between like 500-1000 rpm constantly. May not be exactly those rpms but you get the basic idea. I guess you could say it's idle bucking. But soon as I give it has it clears right up. It's either a faulty iacv or my ecu is spazzing out lol.
Originally Posted by tony_2018
that specific iacv is calibrated, I dont THINK you were suppose to separate them.
what exactly do you mean? I wasn't supposed to separate the iacv from the coil part?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its just idling bro give or take thats a constant idle but if you got a cel then theres something wrong get the code and fix it asap try not to drive too irratic if you know what i mean
Old 01-27-2019, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its just idling bro give or take thats a constant idle but if you got a cel then theres something wrong get the code and fix it asap try not to drive too irratic if you know what i mean
Nah dude it's a bad idle surge. Plus throwing a code for iacv. It's a very common issue among the d series I just don't know if my iacv is bad or what the deal is.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So we might have the same issue, mine surges but i aint trippin about that, my main concern is the cel. So have u replaced the iacv?
Old 01-29-2019, 06:58 AM
I like the tuna here

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You mentioned you replaced the TPS, but you don't have a multimeter. TPS needs to be calibrated using a voltmeter, 0.5v closed and 5.0v at WOT if I recall correctly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1500 rpm surge plz help!!!