Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

100k Maintenance on civic EX

Old 10-05-2006, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 100k Maintenance on civic EX

Alrite guys i'm going to do maintenance on my girl friends 98 civic ex...i'm going to change the timing belt with one from honda...i'm thinking about the water pump too, but i'm not too sure what i need to buy from honda...i'm going to order everything online becuz its going to save me some money...also i'm going to put in new spark plugs, what kind should i get? is NGK good? one last question...the passenger side axle boot ripped (just found out today), now is it safe to drive it like that for a bit? can i just replace the boot or do i have to buy a whole new axle? the axles are still oem so can i just buy the passenger side from kragen,pepboys and etc?

heres a pic of the water pump...i need to know what parts i need from this picture...
Old 10-05-2006, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (bmoua)

might as well replace the water pump while its all apart.. ive driven on rip boots but i would change it if posiable
Old 10-05-2006, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (lshatch1.8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lshatch1.8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">might as well replace the water pump while its all apart.. ive driven on rip boots but i would change it if posiable</TD></TR></TABLE>

so the boot should be okay for a couple of weeks right?
Old 10-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ive always heard just replace the whole axle. you'll never get out all the dirt and **** that's gotten in there already, so putting a new boot on just seals in whats already there and prevents new stuff from getting in. change the axle...they're not that expensive.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (wudini)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wudini &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive always heard just replace the whole axle. you'll never get out all the dirt and **** that's gotten in there already, so putting a new boot on just seals in whats already there and prevents new stuff from getting in. change the axle...they're not that expensive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well i talked to another guy and he said just change the boot...aslong as the axle is still in good condition...i hear no clicks or anything that would lead to a bad axle though....thoughts anybody???
Old 10-06-2006, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alrite guys i'm going to do maintenance on my girl friends 98 civic ex...i'm going to change the timing belt with one from honda...i'm thinking about the water pump too, but i'm not too sure what i need to buy from honda...i'm going to order everything online becuz its going to save me some money...also i'm going to put in new spark plugs, what kind should i get? is NGK good? one last question...the passenger side axle boot ripped (just found out today), now is it safe to drive it like that for a bit? can i just replace the boot or do i have to buy a whole new axle? the axles are still oem so can i just buy the passenger side from kragen,pepboys and etc?

heres a pic of the water pump...i need to know what parts i need from this picture...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's like an unwritten rule, when you change your timing belt, changer your water pump as well. You don't want your waterpump to die, that's just as bad as your timing belt goes (or almost as bad). Buy the timing belt and water pump. NGK plugs are the best in my opinion for Hondas (or most foreign four bangers for that matter). Buy new plug wires (I like Bosch, you can use whatever). New dizzy rotar and cap (from Honda OEM). That should be it for your tuneup.

Now, for your axle. You could just change the boot if it's not clicking yet. THough when you take off the old boot, CLEAN THE AXLE REALLY WELL so there's no dirt inside the boot when you put the new one back on, if there is it'll just tear again and wear out the CV joint. So make sure the axle's spotless and then put the new boot back on. Should be fine.

Good luck

Throw me a PM if you need any help.
Old 10-06-2006, 06:26 AM

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (Syndacate)

It doen't make sense to just change the boot. You have to take the whole thing apart to change the boot anyway, and the axle WILL go out sooner or later and you will have to do the whole thing again.
Old 10-06-2006, 12:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alrite guys i'm going to do maintenance on my girl friends 98 civic ex...i'm going to change the timing belt with one from honda...i'm thinking about the water pump too, but i'm not too sure what i need to buy from honda...i'm going to order everything online becuz its going to save me some money...also i'm going to put in new spark plugs, what kind should i get? is NGK good? one last question...the passenger side axle boot ripped (just found out today), now is it safe to drive it like that for a bit? can i just replace the boot or do i have to buy a whole new axle? the axles are still oem so can i just buy the passenger side from kragen,pepboys and etc?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

all you need from that pic is item number one, the water pump itself, it should come with a new gasket too... oh, and while you're in there, check your cam and crank seals and make sure they aren't leaking. Your best bet would be replacing the entire axle
Old 10-09-2006, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Changing the boot is very messy. I would just replace the whole axle.
Old 10-09-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Z3120)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Z3120 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just replace the whole axle.</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah usually they're around 60 bucks with a lifetime warranty.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:37 PM

when u change the timing belt u should also change the water pump its best to just get the oem parts
Old 10-09-2006, 06:45 PM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 4:42 AM 11/16/2006
Old 10-09-2006, 07:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (schlit)

^ I agree.

You don't have to change the water pump when doing the T-belt, but you'll kick yourself if you have to tear everything apart again if it goes a week later.

I ALWAYS change the tensioner with the T-belt. It's not always necessary, but I like the piece of mind.
Old 10-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (t0p_sh0tta)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ I agree.

You don't have to change the water pump when doing the T-belt, but you'll kick yourself if you have to tear everything apart again if it goes a week later.

I ALWAYS change the tensioner with the T-belt. It's not always necessary, but I like the piece of mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whats the tensioner and how does it look like? haven't heard alot about it???
Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

~$40-50 at the dealer.

edit: It keeps the belt tight so that you're valves don't go crashing into your pistons.

Old 10-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ I agree.

I ALWAYS change the tensioner with the T-belt. It's not always necessary, but I like the piece of mind.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And you don't lose peace* of mind when your water pump's about to go b/c u cut corners?

Change:
- t-belt
- tensioner
- water pump

tensioner's optional, I don't usually do it, but whatever floats ur boat..
Old 10-15-2006, 11:57 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And you don't lose peace* of mind when your water pump's about to go b/c u cut corners?

Change:
- t-belt
- tensioner
- water pump

tensioner's optional, I don't usually do it, but whatever floats ur boat..</TD></TR></TABLE>

that doesnt make sense. You point him out for saying one doesn't necessarily have to change the water pump--'cutting corners,' and then you yourself admit to not always changing the tensioner? Is that not also 'cutting the corners'? Different part yes, but same concept?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (chrisw85)

replace cap, rotor, plugs, wires, timig belt, water pump, alternator belt, ac belt, ps belt, fuel filter, air filter, flush coolant, and change tranny oil. thats the 100k
Old 10-16-2006, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replace cap, rotor, plugs, wires, timig belt, water pump, alternator belt, ac belt, ps belt, fuel filter, air filter, flush coolant, and change tranny oil. thats the 100k </TD></TR></TABLE>
x2

and also its so much easier to just replace the whole axle.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:06 AM

ngk are real good
Old 10-16-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (skrewdriver88)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">replace cap, rotor, plugs, wires, timig belt, water pump, alternator belt, ac belt, ps belt, fuel filter, air filter, flush coolant, and change tranny oil. thats the 100k </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-16-2006, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 100k Maintenance on civic EX (chrisw85)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chrisw85 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">that doesnt make sense. You point him out for saying one doesn't necessarily have to change the water pump--'cutting corners,' and then you yourself admit to not always changing the tensioner? Is that not also 'cutting the corners'? Different part yes, but same concept? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but there's a slight difference. He gives a expletive, I don't.

He talked about peace of mind when you change your tensioner...but don't need to change your water pump...well I don't know about you, but I'd gain a lot more peace of mind knowing that my water pump's not to about to go out. The tensioner is your own variable ****. Do I do it on other peoples' cars? Yeah. Do I do it on my own car? Sometimes.

Though I wouldn't not do it and then come here and complain about it.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When the water pump takes a **** on you, the motor is unharmed (as long as you have a clue).

When you're tensioner takes a ****, your belt snaps or loses all tension and you can kiss your valves goodbye.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

timing belt, water pump, tensioner, crank seal (and the belts if they're looking shabby). I replace them all at the same time. The majority of the work is getting everything apart. A few extra bucks in parts and you're guaranteed to not have to go in there again for a while (provided you do it right).

If $$ is an issue then do it in pieces. The above, then the rest...
Old 10-16-2006, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by t0p_sh0tta &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When the water pump takes a **** on you, the motor is unharmed (as long as you have a clue).

When you're tensioner takes a ****, your belt snaps or loses all tension and you can kiss your valves goodbye.</TD></TR></TABLE>

All right, you're right, I'm wrong.

LISTEN TO THIS GUY AND <u>DO NOT</u> CHANGE YOUR WATER PUMP WITH YOUR TIMING BELT!! Listen to this guy and fail to comly with the industry standard for the last TWO DECADES...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 100k Maintenance on civic EX