Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

10-15% Ethanol

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10-15% Ethanol

Well i was in my summer auto class this morning and one of my fellow pupils raised his hand and told some scary information. His dad works for Exxon-Mobil yea i know we all yelled at him for gas prices(not like he really has control). Anyway he said there is no more Summer and Winter blends of gasoline. Its one mixture all year round the only problem with that is it contains between 10-15% Ethanol. Are cars these days are supposed to have a max of like 5% ethanol in the gas tank. So you dont have to be a mathematician to see its no good for the car.

Ethanol is alcohol which also is very corrosive. GM tried this back in the early 80s with an ethanol car but it was so corrosive to all the metals the car never lasted. So if your fuel system begins to act funny think about the gas your putting in.

Also in some gas stations ( at least in NJ ) if you get out of the car and look at the prices in ridiculously small writing you will see the % of ethanol the station has i believe most are using 15% now. Like if the price is 2.84 9/10 right under that little sign at the pump the ethanol % is there.

So now we are paying more money for less gasoline...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 10-15% Ethanol (92civichatch1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92civichatch1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well i was in my summer auto class this morning and one of my fellow pupils raised his hand and told some scary information. His dad works for Exxon-Mobil yea i know we all yelled at him for gas prices(not like he really has control). Anyway he said there is no more Summer and Winter blends of gasoline. Its one mixture all year round the only problem with that is it contains between 10-15% Ethanol. Are cars these days are supposed to have a max of like 5% ethanol in the gas tank. So you dont have to be a mathematician to see its no good for the car.

Ethanol is alcohol which also is very corrosive. GM tried this back in the early 80s with an ethanol car but it was so corrosive to all the metals the car never lasted. So if your fuel system begins to act funny think about the gas your putting in.

Also in some gas stations ( at least in NJ ) if you get out of the car and look at the prices in ridiculously small writing you will see the % of ethanol the station has i believe most are using 15% now. Like if the price is 2.84 9/10 right under that little sign at the pump the ethanol % is there.

So now we are paying more money for less gasoline...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

we for sure have summer and winter brand...
Old 06-02-2006, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">we for sure have summer and winter brand... </TD></TR></TABLE>

So you use Mobil in the winter and Shell in the summer?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:00 AM

Default Re: 10-15% Ethanol (G2 Speed)

Nope I personally asked him and the professor did too because neither because neither of us believed it. Because your supposed to have a more volitile blend in the winter to fire the engine up, but the kid said no its going to be the same blend all year round now. This kid is also a good source hes not a story teller or a jackass.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:00 AM

Is Methanol almost like ethanol?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:02 AM

Default Re: 10-15% Ethanol (92civichatch1)

Methanol is a alcohol but ethanol is what they are using.

Its not just Exxon-Mobil who is doing it its all of the gas stations. And not for nothing but most companies buy from Exxon-Mobil anyway.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B18C_EJ8)

If this is true, I will be pissed.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So you use Mobil in the winter and Shell in the summer? </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know I go to petro-canada lol

Old 06-02-2006, 07:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (G2 Speed)

Petro Canada

We constantly look for ways to provide drivers with greater value for the money they spend. That’s why we originally created WinterGas* — a product specifically designed to meet Canadian driving conditions head on and to help drivers handle even the roughest and harshest Canadian winters. WinterGas is specially formulated and blended in all of our grades of gasoline for use in Canadian winter conditions, at no extra cost.

WinterGas — available during the winter months in all gasoline grades at Petro-Canada gas stations across Canada (except the Greater Vancouver Regional District, Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast).

Here’s how WinterGas works for you:

WinterGas

* Includes a de-icer that minimizes potential problems due to the possible presence of condensation in fuel tanks and lines during cold weather.
* Contains Tactrol*, our proprietary deposit control additive, designed to keep fuel systems clean.
* It evaporates more readily than summer gasoline for improved cold weather start-ups.

WinterGas is suitable for all vehicles and smaller engines such as chainsaws, snow mobiles and snow blowers.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:19 AM

hey bro i believe ya i know all about winter and summer blends of gas. which is y it became a 35min class discussion because no1 believed it was no longer summer and winter. Im not arguing the fact that there used to be im merely letting people know that the Exxon-Mobil gas giant no longer does it.

Another reason they dont need it is because of how sophisticated the new cars are, but what they fail to realize is there are people like me and alot of others who drive a 92 hatch which doesnt have all the latest in fuel delivery, emissions, and whatever else that will be effected by this change in gas.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You may need to add a lubricant to your fuel tank every once in a while. This will help prevent corrosion. I've heard people using ATF in the bobistheoilguy.com since it has detergents to clean out the fuel system. Anywho, just find one you're sure will work with your car's fuel system and driving conditions.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:26 AM

Default Re: (dpkelly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dpkelly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You may need to add a lubricant to your fuel tank every once in a while. This will help prevent corrosion. I've heard people using ATF in the bobistheoilguy.com since it has detergents to clean out the fuel system. Anywho, just find one you're sure will work with your car's fuel system and driving conditions.</TD></TR></TABLE> well i was just goin to say to use a fuel conditioner in the gas, beat me to the punch. i peronally use that lucas fuel conditioner in the big bottle that u add 3 oz every fill up and i havent had any problems.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92civichatch1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92civichatch1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> well i was just goin to say to use a fuel conditioner in the gas, beat me to the punch. i peronally use that lucas fuel conditioner in the big bottle that u add 3 oz every fill up and i havent had any problems. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I use this STP stuff in my garage, my mom or dad bought like a 24 pack.. cause it was cheap... I use it every two-three weeks...

Restore lost power and acceleration
Smooth rough idle and eliminate tough starts
Improve engine performance

yay for my 10 year old civic
Old 06-02-2006, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This kid is also a good source hes not a story teller or a jackass.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then I'd like to see where he got his info from. Because there's nothing on ExxonMobil's website proving this, nor did a 15 minute google search yield any results...
Old 06-02-2006, 07:38 AM

^^^^^ Does that **** really work?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:42 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C_EJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Then I'd like to see where he got his info from. Because there's nothing on ExxonMobil's website proving this, nor did a 15 minute google search yield any results...</TD></TR></TABLE>

the reason you dont know and theres no info is because they dont tell anyone and you know what there are no laws saying they have too. Its bad enough gas is 3.00 gallon do u really think they are gonna tell people they are getting less gasoline for that $3.00 i dont think so. this is why i brought this whole thing up because the company doesnt say anything.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:44 AM

Default Re: (92civichatch1)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1647315

go to that link and look at what 95sihb says hes like the 7th person down. its the post going on right now with the kid and the shell gas station.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littleblue)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littleblue &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^^^^^ Does that **** really work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pretty sure it does work, but to get good results you would probably need that on every fill up, but i'm no gas expert or fuel system.. yadda yadda
Old 06-02-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Awhile back I worked in construction for Chevron installing the Ethanol at the actual filling facility.

From what I've gathered, Ethanol is replacing another additive, because this other additive that they have been using is bad for the environment. Ethanol is derived from corn, one way or another, I don't know how.. Anyways, right now they are using 10-15% ethanol. Eventually, it will go to E-85, that is Ethanol 85% and gasoline 15%. It takes more fuel with ethanol in the mix, BUT its a lot higher octane, so that means higher compression and more boost without knocking, that's cool.

Here is why i like it; (a) Higher Octane = higher compression and boost on our street cars (b) We are going to be less dependent on Foreign oil!!! yay! We can grow a **** load of corn

If your worried about how they have changed gasoline, try and find what they have done to motor oil! From what i hear Diesel oil is what to use on your car nowadays

Chevron/Exxon/whoever DOESN'T HAVE A CHOICE, its a government thing, they are making them do it.... for the environment.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (kuja396)

By federal standards blended gas cannot have over 10 percent alcohol in it.
a simple gasoline volitlity test will prove or falsify his statements
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EF8IGHT)

where can you go to get real gas then? maybe thats why my gas lines just started springing leaks and corroding.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jadugartir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jadugartir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where can you go to get real gas then? maybe thats why my gas lines just started springing leaks and corroding.</TD></TR></TABLE>

canada eh
or you could get jet fuel... I forget what ocatne that is...
Old 06-02-2006, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or you could get jet fuel... I forget what ocatne that is...</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a) Higher Octane = higher compression and boost on our street cars </TD></TR></TABLE>

You both need to brush up on your terminology a little. Octane is merely a measurement of the ability of a fuel to resist detonation, which means that simply using a higher octane fuel does not increase compression or boost...

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm
Old 06-02-2006, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

canada eh
or you could get jet fuel... I forget what ocatne that is...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe you are referring to JP4, JP8 and TS1. Oh and of course if you actually put that in your car it would destroy your motor. lmao
Old 06-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spoonracer84eg)

I thought Ethanol burned cleaner and more efficient?

Quick Reply: 10-15% Ethanol