Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

(1) C926 [Option {+B}]/(Fuse 54 - Under Hood Fuse Box) ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 (1) C926 [Option {+B}]/(Fuse 54 - Under Hood Fuse Box) ???

Hi Honda Tech. I recently bought a '96 EX with a few electrical problems. I was looking in the fuse box located under the hood and discovered that I had a 40-AMP Maxi (sp?) fuse blown. Well I've searched all over the internet to try and find out what "Option (+B)" is and have found nothing...So I figured I would ask the people who know their cars best. Any takers??? Thanks for your time
Old 12-27-2009, 12:20 PM

Default Re: (1) C926 [Option {+B}]/(Fuse 54 - Under Hood Fuse Box) ???

bump
Old 12-27-2009, 01:08 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

More info from the OP:
Originally Posted by zmjohnson
Here's a list of the electrical issues that I have found so far:

-Dome light doesn't respond to door setting (this happened after I took out the aftermarket security system which has no label)
-In door wire harness, front passenger, is shot and needs to be replaced
-Cruise control unhooked (Due to aftermarket steering wheel)
-Fog lights (aftermarket) need to be hooked up. Don't know which wires to tap into
-Mysterious relay box (not grounded to chasis but just hanging) with 2 yellow, 1 orange, 1 green and 1 black wire. Both yellow and orange wires are not connected.

That's what I've found so far. I really have spent many hours trying to find guides/tutorials/general info on how to figure out which wires are which. I would really like to start with fixing the dome light and hooking up the fog lights to serve as DRL's but being that the car is not from Canada, I don't know that it's possible. If you can send me links to information that will guide me towards fixing these problems and/or give me a general idea (wire colors/locations) it would be much appreciated. In the mean time the search continues...Thanks guys for all your help
Old 12-27-2009, 01:25 PM
H-T White Ops

And info from the fuse diagram thread that might relate:

Here's the under-hood fuse box, with the fuse he says is blown in his car highlighted.

Name:  0H1xel.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  45.1 KB

Fuse 54
Amps: 40 A
Wire Color: WHT / RED
Component(s) or Circuit(s) Protected: Option (+B)

Here's the under-dash fuse box, with the matching interior slot highlighted.

Name:  jW3Hil.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  49.9 KB

From what I can tell, this pertains to the stock security system.

So the blown fuse is for your security system, but I'd check to see if anything else might be plugged into that slot on the under-dash fuse box.

By the way, that option socket under the dash is the always hot socket.

The stock security system I believe bolts to the top of the stock radio. I'm not sure about any labels.

Last edited by NOFX; 12-27-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:32 PM
H-T White Ops

-Dome light doesn't respond to door setting (this happened after I took out the aftermarket security system which has no label)
This might have something to do with how you took it out or how the aftermarket security system was installed.

I won't claim I know a lot about wiring, but I know a little bit and I know there's more here that know loads about it.
Self explanitory.
Not an electrical problem. Just means cruise control is disconnected. If you got a stock wheel that allows for cruise control you should be able to use it again.
-Fog lights (aftermarket) need to be hooked up. Don't know which wires to tap into
You don't tap into anything unless they're maybe autozone fog lights. EVen then, you could wire it properly.

There should be threads that go over how to wire fog lights (hint - you use your interior fuse box), but I've just been notified I have to leave here like... now. Sorry.
-Mysterious relay box (not grounded to chasis but just hanging) with 2 yellow, 1 orange, 1 green and 1 black wire. Both yellow and orange wires are not connected.
Could have had to do with your aftermarket security system.
That's what I've found so far. I really have spent many hours trying to find guides/tutorials/general info on how to figure out which wires are which. I would really like to start with fixing the dome light and hooking up the fog lights to serve as DRL's but being that the car is not from Canada, I don't know that it's possible. If you can send me links to information that will guide me towards fixing these problems and/or give me a general idea (wire colors/locations) it would be much appreciated. In the mean time the search continues...Thanks guys for all your help
It might really help if you could post some photos.

I'll try to bump this thread for you later if it looks like you're still not getting help.
Old 12-27-2009, 02:47 PM

-
Old 12-27-2009, 04:12 PM
H-T White Ops

Yeah, I'd think it was part of an aftermarket security system or such. Looks like bulk wire.

What kind of fog lights are you trying to hook up anyway?

Please, someone out there has to know more about wiring / electrical and is able to help this guy out better than I can.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:36 PM

The green and black wires seem to go into the steering column. So I think your guess of security system are correct. It probably is wired to the horn for when the alarm is triggered. I'm going to move onto trying to find out if I still have a stock security unit, or just one for keyless entry.

The fog lights don't have a label from what I can tell. There's an elaborate wire job though... I'll try to find a picture to show them.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM
H-T White Ops

The stock keyless entry should be in the stock radio btw. The security systems seem to be a bit uncommon in these cars. I haven't found one that I've known had the unit from original sale yet.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

NOFX was basically on the right track with you -- I might be able to add to her tips a bit, too.

This is a common problem that I've read about for 6th Gen Civics with the security systems. Often people who take out the stock radio, which is somehow linked to the security system, have a problem with the dome light. Strange but true. Here is a link with an explanation. I'm sure you can take it from there.

This is a bit of an odd one -- what do you mean shot? Wires are fried? Cut up? Missing? It's possible to patch up cut wires ... but it may be just as easy to replace the whole thing.

As NOFX said: Replace steering wheel with OEM (or 99-00 Si leather-wrapped one), re-plug connector, and you are back in business.

There are many DIYs for installing aftermarket fogs on a 6th Gen. I recommend doing a search. However, to modify them to act as DRLs, you will want to wire them so that they are on when the ignition is on -- a wire connected to C929 - Option 4 (IG2) on your Under-dash Fuse Box, that then powers the relay controlling your fog lights will do the trick. Incidentally, "IG2" means that the lights are on in when your key is turned to position II on the ignition, but not at Position III (START). "IG1" would mean it's on at Position II and III. On top of this, I would still suggest that you have a switch to turn the lights OFF if you want to. (..... I now have a feeling that I am over-complicating things. My suspicion is that the aftermarket wiring diagrams wire the fog lights to be on or off regardless of whether the headlamps are on. If this is the case, you can simply leave your fogs on all the time .... effectively making them DRLs. My suggestion above is a cleaner solution, however.)

Almost guaranteed that this is not an OEM piece and can be removed.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:11 PM

- I'll take a better picture tomorrow. Also, the front bumper came with the car...I did not install that. Will be replacing it in the future, or reshape it. I have yet to find a DIY on reshaping fiberglass.

So from the looks of it, Honda made an extra slot so IF you decided to get a security system put in you can? Otherwise it stays open under the hood?

Last edited by zmjohnson; 12-27-2009 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Photo not working...
Old 12-27-2009, 06:24 PM

Thank you DeSchlong for your info. I'll try to hook that up tomorrow.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
H-T White Ops

Originally Posted by DeSchlong
This is a common problem that I've read about for 6th Gen Civics with the security systems. Often people who take out the stock radio, which is somehow linked to the security system, have a problem with the dome light. Strange but true. Here is a link with an explanation. I'm sure you can take it from there.
From what I've always heard it has to do with the radio (I admit I didn't read your whole link).

A lot of the aftermarket radio harnesses are made so the dome light will continue to work.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Oops, I realized I never addressed your original question re: Fuse 54 (40A).

From the looks of it, Fuse 54 runs directly from the under-hood fuse box to the Option 1 connector on the under-dash fuse box. This means that if it's blown, the only thing that won't work is the Option 1 connector. Not a huge deal at all, and can be replaced in about a minute. Two more thoughts: Option 1 is hot-at-all-times ... meaning it's a direct connection to the battery power... and I believe the "+B" designator as it is written in the service manual is short-hand for "Positive Battery"... possibly indicating that this is a direct connection to the battery for power.

As an editorial to this post, please please try to return your vehicle back to stock. That bumper is ... well, I am at a loss for words.

NOFX: Yes, the stock security system is in(??) the radio ... or plugs in to it ... or something. Not an expert here. But, the problem is related to this. Should be an easy enough fix for the OP.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:37 PM
H-T White Ops

DeShlong, I believe the stock optional security system sits in the little recess in the stock '96-'98 Civic radio unit. I'll have to check once I get home to make sure.