Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

1.5l intermittent sputter

Old 03-13-2017, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1.5l intermittent sputter

Before you say it, yes, I am aware of all of the messages on Honda sputtering.

This one confuses me, because it's a 95, has no o2 sensor I'm aware of, isn't throwing any cel, and isn't seemingly adversely affecting mpg.

Usually happens right after a downshift, it will sputter and performance goes down the toilet. Lift up on the pedal a bit or way down... And it's like whatever it is kicks loose, and it is fine.

The injectors are fine, the exhaust is all relatively new, and I had it all tightened down recently (thinking that was it). No detectable exhaust leaks. The distributor is less than a year old, as are the cap, rotor, and wires. When it started doing this a couple months ago, I hadn't changed anything, so whatever it is, is likely something failed, and wasn't a defect going in.

Ignition coil maybe? I know in the past, I had issues with the distributor that just lead to ordering a new oem one (came with a small tube of Vaseline to ease the pocketbook violation).

I checked the timing over the weekend, it's right where it was when I set it a year ago.

What am I missing here?
Old 03-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1.5l intermittent sputter

I actually need to amend my symptoms a bit. I paid closer attention on my way home.

The sputtering happens after I shift up. Particularly if I shift early.

When it's sputtering, giving it gas does no good, it just sputters a little faster with really bogged down hp. I have to ease up on the pedal a bit until it snaps loose.

I'm considering just getting another coil and testing it. Doesn't hurt to have a spate I guess.

Still hoping someone has some insight. It seems a lot of us have these kinds of issues, but us rarely read about solutions.

I had one hell of a time a year ago tracking down with the thing wouldn't randomly and intermittently just completely refuse to start. Then would run fine until it got damp out. Turned out to be the coil then after I had changed everything else.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 41 Likes on 41 Posts

food for thought:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...hread-2830131/

Advanced Ignition Troubleshooting - Team Integra Forums - Team Integra

Starting Problems

valve adjust lately?
Old 03-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

Sputtering at low rpm with heavy throttle --> weak sparks.

How old are your spark plug wires? Bad wires are really susceptible to damp conditions. You can't tell by looking, but what you can do is mist water on them with a spray bottle and if it sputters / stalls, replace. Also check for cracks in the cap. Idling the engine in the dark, if you see any ignition part sparking or glowing, it's bad.

'95 definitely has an O2 sensor, but unlikely to be the problem here. I'm assuming the CEL is not on.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

always good to prowl rockauto for closeout deals on ignition stuff.
got an insane deal on prestolite wires for like $13 total.
also get high energy ignition spark tester.
cheap and prevents coil blowout from other dodgy spark test methods
Old 03-13-2017, 05:56 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 561 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Joseph Michaud
This one confuses me, because it's a 95, has no o2 sensor I'm aware of, isn't throwing any cel, and isn't seemingly adversely affecting mpg.
Have you verified your CEL works? If there was no O2 sensor the CEL would be on.

The 1.5L vtec or 16 valve non vtec both have the o2 sensor on the side of the short 4-1 cast iron header by the radiator.

The 12 valve 1.5L non vtec has the o2 sensor on the front of the header pointing towards the radiator just before the built in catalytic converter just like the 1.5L 16 valve vtec-e.

The side mounted o2 sensor style could be relocated to the underside of the car by the stearing rack if an aftermarket 4-2-1 or long 4-1 header was installed. It would be down by the collector just before the catalytic converter under the car.

Originally Posted by tamboo
always good to prowl rockauto for closeout deals on ignition stuff.
got an insane deal on prestolite wires for like $13 total.
also get high energy ignition spark tester.
cheap and prevents coil blowout from other dodgy spark test methods
I believe the other thing the high energy spark tester can do is kill a bad coil. That's the beauty of the tester, you get two results, good or bad so there is no intermittent problem.

Killing a weak coil is better than getting spark verification but leaving the weak coil in as it didn't "fail" when you are testing with a regular spark tester but causes intermittent problems after.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey all. Thanks for the replies. Valve job is the one thing mentioned that hasn't happened since I've owned it. I think my wires are good, and I do have a high energy spark tester. Didn't know you could fry a weak coil with it. That is a good thing. I detest intermittent issues.

I guess I am just being lazy posting that, because I have been thru testing the ignition from my past issue, I think I mentally want to rule that out lol.

Thanks for the o2 info. I believe I mentioned that I relaxed the cat convertor all the way back. I guess I assumed there wasn't one, because all i havereplaced in the past were fore and aft the CC.

A couple other possibilities have come to mind. I need to check the, fuel pressure again, and probably just swap out the filter. It's been awhile for those too.
Someone else mentioned something i wanted to respond to, but I'll have to go back and read it again and follow this message up.

I'm going to definitely pick up a new set of cables from the place you mentioned. Thanks for the recommendation. And thank you all for taking the time to respond.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah, the CEL. The light comes on during key in testing, and I did have it come on over a timing issue last year, so I do believe it's working.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:51 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by Joseph Michaud
Oh yeah, the CEL. The light comes on during key in testing, and I did have it come on over a timing issue last year, so I do believe it's working.
Then you must have an O2 sensor. It's for fuel trim once warm and the CEL would be on otherwise.

What year, make, model and trim is your car?

There is quite a few 1.5L Honda motors and they all don't reside strictly in the 92-95 season (obd1). There is also OBD0 1.5L engines if I recall correctly.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Tomcat: it's a 95 del sol S.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This might help: Part 1 -How to Test a Misfire Condition (1.6L Honda Civic)
Also: Part 1 -How to Test the Igniter, Ignition Coil Accord, Civic, CRV, and Odyssey

Some other (free) things that might help:
Remove and clean throttle body
Inspect/Adjust throttle cable
Clean chassis and engine grounds
Remove injectors and spray into bucket..watch for spray pattern and timing of injector engagement,
Old 03-14-2017, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ooo did not know about killing a weak coil with hei tester. very interesting thanks! 8)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:57 PM
Hysterically Calm

Originally Posted by tamboo
ooo did not know about killing a weak coil with hei tester. very interesting thanks! 8)
This is speculation as it's believed the HEI tester stress tests the coil by requiring maximum output voltage to get spark. Much like the engine requires maximum voltage for spark during certain circumstances.

It was insinuated that this stress test could potentially kill a weak coil.

It's not been proven or substantiated in any way.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol well it isnt going to bring it back to spec that's for sure.
it might not quite be an ex-parrot yet but dig a hole anyway.

The HEI Spark Tester (The Best Spark Tester On the Market)