Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00si dies when low on gas....

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00si dies when low on gas....

Hey all, my 00 si 71k miles has had a problem ever sinced i purchased it at 60k miles.

When my gas begins to run low (about 2-3 notches left) my car will actually die when driving 40 mph or higher. Its as if i run out of gas, but my gas reading still shows that my tank is not empty, and my gas light doesnt even come on.

I notice also that when i need to fill up, i can never fill it to 11.9 gallons (which i believe is the standard size for this car). It will top off at about 10.2 gallons, which leaves me to believe that there is another 1 1/2 gallons still in the tank that for some reason cannot be accessed. (which may be why my dash shows that i still have gas leftover in the tank).

When it does die out on the freeway, my check engine lights will coem on, and when i try to gas it it will make a noise like it cant suck up any of the gas from the tank. Rpms will steadily drop. If i try to start the car up(while im rolling dead), it wont start. The only way for me to fix the problem while driving is for me to downshift and attempt to gas, which sometimes will work, and the engine comes alive again, allowing me to go on for a limited amount of time before the problem occurs again, with increasing difficulty to fix. Its come to the point where one time, i died out on the freeway, and there should have been at least another 2 gallons left in the tank.

I know i could just always make sure to keep my tank above 1/4 empty, but thats pretty annoying. I also have some mpg issues, the BEST tank ive ever gotten while driving all freeway and babying the pedal was 27.5 mpg.

What could be the problem?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:03 AM

Default Re: 00si dies when low on gas.... (riceforlife)

Does it rev normally when you are not moving?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00si dies when low on gas.... (RiceKillinSI)

I'm really not SURE if this could be the problem but I'm thinking A) check your fuel pump to see if it's clogged and why I'm saying this is because I'm thinking it may not have enough power left (clogged or wearing out) to suck it up from the bottom of the tank. Also check your lines to your charcoal canister to make sure their not clogged/kinked because I think that may cause a problem. I won't say any kind of a sensor as far as IAT/MAF/MAP because I would think that would cause it all the time. Alternately, if your gas gauge is reading incorrectly you may actually be out of gas and you're just having MPG issues but that could be eliminated since you did state that you can't fill the tank to it's full potential.

What I'm getting to is that since it's having a problem starting as well I'd deffinitely try to look at fuel pump and charcoal canister condition.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah it does rev normally when not moving.

Sorry if i mislead you, but i dont have any problems starting the car normally. However, i do have problems starting the car immediately after it dies out on the freeway. (Cant rev it, cant start it --- its just dead untill i downshift and hopefully start sucking up gas again.)

I looked under my car and noticed that a huge container (a bit forward of the trunk) has a large dent in it. It seems like theres leakage stains as well as straps holding the container from falling.

Im wondering if perhaps this tank is the gas tank? I will post up a pic when i can...

Thanks all so far!
Old 06-13-2007, 09:44 PM

Yes that is your gas tank and I am willing to bet that the big dent is your problem. It might have damaged the pick up.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there anyway i can fix this dent? Somebody told me i could remove the fuel pump and try to knock it out with a hammer from the inside of the tank. Only problem is im not sure where the fuel pump is or how to remove it. THanks for the help so far
Old 06-13-2007, 10:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my EJ8 does the same thing...i still have to check my fuel system out.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:11 AM

You have to remove your back seat to access the fuel pump.

http://www.courtlukens.com/Tech/fuel_exposed.JPG

The fuel pump is under the silver cover. If you try to beat out the dint please use a rubber mallet. Metal hammers hitting other metal= sparks. Sparks + gas= Booooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!!!