Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 si help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 si help

hi everybody im new to the forums and i recently bought a 00 si and was wondering if anybody can help me answer a few questions.
1.I've been smelling a gasoline smell recently and im not really sure where that could be coming from. my friend was throwing it out there saying it can be an exhaust leak but i have no idea what that is.

2.I also noticed that my coolant has been dissapearing quickly. i have to fill it up about every 2 weeks or so? that doesnt sound normal to me as my friend never even had to refill his since he got his car about 6months ago.

3.how much would a camber kit cost around?i looked and found one for about $140 (i dont know brand name) or if somebody knows a better place to get one. also if anyone knows where i can get it installed for cheap around the sf area.

Any help would be appreciated. Thx
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 00 si help

Well, the exhaust leak would be where you have a piece seperated on your exhaust, as one pipe has a hole or the gasket is blown..

You need to check and see if your radiator has a hole in it or check your motor and see if it is leaking around your water pump or out of the thermostat area or so...

A camber kit can differ in prices.. mainly on what kinda brand you choose, i'm not sure on a price for you on getting it put on.. as to i'm living in Georgia..
Old 01-21-2009, 12:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1: smell around your engine bay to see if there is a fuel leak on the fuel filter, injectors, or rails. If not check near the fuel pump in the rear under your seat. Might be a corroded fuel line or something.

2:Not sure, turn your car on and leave it sitting to see if it is leaking on the ground. if so pinpoint the source. If not try replacing the thermostat, my old hatch used to do that too and a new thermo fixed it.

3:Search the forums and read read read, there are alot of arguments about whether or not camber kits are even worth it. Some people say that the toe (angle at which your tires are from a birdseye view) is the cause of camber wear. Normally your car is cambered already to a certain degree, and camber "usually" aids in cornering and such because you lay more tire on the ground. Its kinda hard to explain...lol. search
Old 01-21-2009, 12:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fook_me_honda
1: smell around your engine bay to see if there is a fuel leak on the fuel filter, injectors, or rails. If not check near the fuel pump in the rear under your seat. Might be a corroded fuel line or something.

2:Not sure, turn your car on and leave it sitting to see if it is leaking on the ground. if so pinpoint the source. If not try replacing the thermostat, my old hatch used to do that too and a new thermo fixed it.

3:Search the forums and read read read, there are alot of arguments about whether or not camber kits are even worth it. Some people say that the toe (angle at which your tires are from a birdseye view) is the cause of camber wear. Normally your car is cambered already to a certain degree, and camber "usually" aids in cornering and such because you lay more tire on the ground. Its kinda hard to explain...lol. search
X2

Are you going to be tracking the car? Camber kits are pretty much useless in the street because you rarely take corners at such high speeds that a camber kit would even be necessary.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know I had to put a camber kit on my car because my car was slammed and need the camber kit to straighten my wheels out on the front.. that is the only reason I'd really worry about using one..
Old 01-21-2009, 09:35 PM

If you have trouble finding a coolant leak it's possible that your thermostat is sticking closed during driving and spewing out the drain hose. Also it's possible that you could have a blown head gasket and you're burning coolant. I'd check all hoses connections first and look for green crusty build up at the upper/lower Rad hoses and the rear heater core hoses, these are both typical leak spots. If no leak found and are greatly concerned then you can take your vehicle into a local shop and they can sniff test your cooling system for hydrocarbons (which would entitle a head gasket issue)

As for the fuel smell you can test for an exhaust leak by taking a rag around a block of wood (2x4) and plugging the exhaust with the engine running. You should be able to hear an exhaust leak (tick tick tick tick) and it should get louder the longer you plug the muffler. If you're still having trouble hearing it you might try putting your car on jack stands and using a screwdriver up to your ear at all connections and header welds.

If you're on coilovers i would just recommend getting a good allignment and frequently rotating tires. Maybe even raise it half an inch.

hope i answered some questions for ya!