Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

00 Honda Civic Si Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 Honda Civic Si Help

Hello, I have a 2000 Honda Civic Si with 78K miles, the car has a short ram intake but otherwise stock. About 3 months ago, I was driving the car on the free way, traveling approximately 90mph downshifting once in a while due to traffic without over revving the engine. Suddenly the car jolted, the check engine light turned on and I immediately felt a power decrease in performance. I pulled off the freeway to the nearest Mobil gas station where I turned the car off, checked the oil level, which was low, poured 2qt of Mobil 1 5-30W Fully Synthetic oil and reset the ECU. To my belief, the check engine light turned on due to the insufficient oil level which caused the VTEC Solenoid to stop engaging. I turned the car on and the check engine light turned off, I pulled back into the freeway and resumed the 90mph pace but definitely noticed that the car had lost adequate power or performance. The car had always ran smooth and strong till this happened. To my belief, as well as others suggested, possibly a valve, seal or gasket had blown, so I had the head redone at Alaniz Technologies consisting of a full inspection, port and polish, 3 angle valve job, .5mm oversized exhaust valves, new seals, dual springs, titanium retainers and chamber work. Installed new Honda head, intake and exhaust gaskets when I bolted the freshly done head and assembled everything back. I turned the car on and took it for a test drive after a good warm up. To my disappointment the car seemed to have the same symptom as before any work was done, same feeling of lost power or performance. I verified some things like grounds, TPS and MAP Sensor to be good, I performed a compression test on all 4 cylinders to be between 200 and 220. I swapped the ECU for a good known one and the car seemed to perform better but still not like before. Today the car jolted exactly the same way it did the first time but the check engine light did not come on, which leads me to believe the reason why it turned on the first time was because of the low oil. Any suggestions would be highly and extremely appreciated, thanks for your time.